What small-mid-sized SUV fits 2 car seats WELL?

redkow97

Wife's current ride is a 2007 Hyundai Tucson with a 2.7 V6 (4 speed auto).   This is the older body-style.  The newer model utilizes an I-4 and a 6-speed automatic. 

I have thoroughly enjoyed this vehicle, but I think we're about to out-grow it.   Kid #2 is due in September, and I'm already annoyed with the prospect of fitting 2 car seats in this car.  When we bought it, we kept the rear seats folded down 90% of the time, and I cut a carpet scrap to fit the space.  The result was a nice large flat surface for all cargo, or both our dogs.  With 2 years in the books on kid #1, we have taken to leaving the 60/40 split seat 60% up and 40% down to let the dogs into the back, and keep kid #1's car seat behind the front passenger seat (which is occupied less often than the driver's seat).

...but with a second kid coming, we're looking at having car seats behind the driver 100% off the time.  #1 is forward-facing now, and she kicks the seat back and gets it dirty as shit.  I need a small or mid-sized SUV option that will comfortably fit 2 car seats, and that will fit 2 dogs in the cargo area on occasion. 

I will consider almost any make, model, and engine configuration, but I do want to be able to comfortably tow 2 motorcycles on an open trailer.  More towing capacity couldn't hurt. 

Fuel economy isn't a huge concern, because my wife works from home 2 days a week, but we would take this vehicle on any family outings, including all vacations.  I would prefer a V6 for towing, but a turbo 4 might cut it.  Diesel wouldn't be a problem either.  AWD or 4wd isn't necessary, but I wouldn't mind it if I found it on a used model.  The wife WILL NOT entertain the notion of a mini van.  I have lost that debate several times.

I'd like to stay under $20,000 and no more than 5 years old.  I have casually considered the following vehicles, but primarily based on my wife's aesthetic tastes.

- Ford Edge (3.5 V6)

- Hyundai Sante Fe/Kia Sorrento (also V6.  3.3 or 3.5, depending on the year?)

- Volvo XC90 (above my budget, adn with 30k more miles than comparably priced Hyundais, but also undeniably nicer, and safer)

- Chevy trailblazer (This is where I start to wander when I consider an enclosed trailer some day, but that's probably not a realistic scenario)

- Honda Pilot (pretty much the most boring SUV i've ever looked at, but I am confident it would get the job done for a long time)

What am I not thinking of?  What has more second-row leg room to accommodate the wife and I (both close to 6') sliding the seat back without hitting a rear-facing child seat, or subjecting ourselves to a toddler kicking our backs?

Let me ask you this, why sell yourself short on a small or mid sized? I have a Chevy Tahoe and it's been the best family car I could ever ask for. Plenty of towing capacity, cargo capacity, and room for the little ones to grow. Also being a full sized full framed truck so to speak it's going to be safer. And as far a fuel economy if you get the right gearing you can get 19+mpg highway depends on the year. My 05 gets 19 but my buddies new 14 he claims it gets 21. And being based off of the Silverado line I have found parts and repairs relatively inexpensive and readily available.

I just bought a 2011 jeep grand Cherokee. Seems to fit all your requirements. I have nothing bad to say about it so far. Have gotten an average 19mpg with mostly 80% city driving. Havent made a long interstate trip yet, but i think its supposed to get 22+. It's an awd model. Has a V6 and ability to tow up to 5000lbs. I also got it for under 20k. 

My wife and I have a 2014 Edge and can pack up the car for the weekend with our son in his car seat and keep our two dogs in the rear. Having two car seats would pretty much eliminate the rest of your cargo room with dogs in the car but a roof rack may solve that problem. And for reference our dogs are 50 lbs and 40 lbs. Also, I believe the towing capacity is 2,000 lbs.

1 hour ago, 2talltim said:

Let me ask you this, why sell yourself short on a small or mid sized? I have a Chevy Tahoe and it's been the best family car I could ever ask for. Plenty of towing capacity, cargo capacity, and room for the little ones to grow. Also being a full sized full framed truck so to speak it's going to be safer. And as far a fuel economy if you get the right gearing you can get 19+mpg highway depends on the year. My 05 gets 19 but my buddies new 14 he claims it gets 21. And being based off of the Silverado line I have found parts and repairs relatively inexpensive and readily available.

Absent some kind of data to back it up, I don't believe truck-based SUV's are any safer than car-based. 

That said, I would consider a full-sized SUV, but my wife doesn't want anything that large, nor do i trust her with a RWD platform in the snow. 

Jeep grand cherokee is one I forgot to list that i have casually considered.  It seems to be on the expensive end though, and without many additional features that the others have for less money.

Your right I don't have any data in front of me to back that up. But if given the choice i'm going to take a full frame vehicle vs a unibody if I know a accident is imminent. Just makes sense to me. But im sure there are thousands of variables to back up both sides of that story. 

And with traction control and stability control and all the electro crap on RWD vehicles these days it's pretty hard to spin them out in snow. The only time i ever use 4wd anymore is just to turn around in my drive way, I roll in 2WD 99.99% of the time and never fear of spinning out(it wont let you). Road trips with all that room is really nice, we take it most of the time over the wifes 30mpg car just for the comfort level. 

Yeah, i am drawn to the full-sized SUV's too, but it won't be my daily driver, so I am deferring to the wife on that front. 

Plus they are expensive!  I realize not every model needs to be a Denali-level trim package, but those things get up to $60k quickly!

For reference, the wife is balking at an Explorer... I was going to push for a Durango at one point.  I need something "sneaky large," like a 4Runner :p

30 minutes ago, redkow97 said:

Yeah, i am drawn to the full-sized SUV's too, but it won't be my daily driver, so I am deferring to the wife on that front. 

Plus they are expensive!  I realize not every model needs to be a Denali-level trim package, but those things get up to $60k quickly!

For reference, the wife is balking at an Explorer... I was going to push for a Durango at one point.  I need something "sneaky large," like a 4Runner :p

They can be had for a good price. You just have to open up to a few years older with some miles. And being a truck base they will take miles better than a car. I bought mine at 6yrs old with 89K miles on it for $14k, new sticker price on it was $42K.  Mine is now 11 years old and has 140k miles on it and other than the dent i put in the rear door it is in perfect condition. Everything is tight and right on it and I plan on putting at least 140k more miles on it. 

I totally get the wife/size thing. It's a comfort level that some people can find. My wife loves our big vehicles (my Tahoe and her Impala)and loves to drive them but she used to them. We recently bought our 16yr old kid a Nissan Sentra and even though its a really nice car we both HATE driving and riding in it..LOL. My mom had a Equinox before she passed away and i always thought that thing felt small to me too. Different strokes for different folks. 

Edited by 2talltim

Pauly - not ignoring the subarus, but I am worried they won't provide the interior space I want. 

I'm going to just have to go to a used lot and start throwing car seats in the back of some used vehicles.  Whoever said Toyota Highlander read my mind when I typed "4runner."  I am really starting to like the longevity of the 'yotas.  My dad's has 220k on it, and I continue to rack up miles at a pretty fast pace.  I may even get a hitch for the 'rolla and make it more of a point to leave Sara her car when I'm at the track.

The trailer is 300 lbs, bike is 200 (probably a lot less), and the EZ-up and gas can't be more than 100 combined.  towing 600 should be no big deal.  Only draw-back is I can't sleep in the back like I can in the SUV - but I have a nice 2-man tent and an air mattress.

I do 2 child seats in a 4 door focus. 

One is rear facing one is a recaro forward facing. 

I have no issues. My wife is 5'6" and still has plenty of leg room in the front. 

We still take the focus more than we take her highlander. 

Edited by zx3vfr

My wife is 5'10" and if it's all 4 of us, I will probably be driving her car. I am pushing 6'.

It may be that Hyundai sacrificed leg room in favor of more cargo room, and it sure seems like car seats have grown to ridiculous proportions, but either way, I want something larger.

4 hours ago, redkow97 said:

Absent some kind of data to back it up, I don't believe truck-based SUV's are any safer than car-based. 

That said, I would consider a full-sized SUV, but my wife doesn't want anything that large, nor do i trust her with a RWD platform in the snow. 

Jeep grand cherokee is one I forgot to list that i have casually considered.  It seems to be on the expensive end though, and without many additional features that the others have for less money.

The grand Cherokee I just picked up is Laredo trim, but it's loaded like a limited. Power everything, leather, panoramic moonroof, heated seats, nav, etc, etc...

It's a 2011 with 85000 miles. It's really everything I've been trying to find for the past 15 months.

I have 3 dogs that I put in the cargo area for short trips. The backseat is plenty roomy for two large adults. It's a really roomy vehicle. I thought it was actually priced a little cheaper than a lot of its direct competition. And as mentioned I prefer the truck chassis.

I am going to go ahead and say it...

With kids a mini van is the way to go.  More space than any SUV period, drives like a car, and road trips become a breeze.

I know, a "min van"!  Was like all the rest and said it would never happen, but after our third kid we were out of options.  After a month I wondered why we did my go this way after the first kid.

We have a Honda Odyssey and it may be the best vehicle I have ever had.  Seats 8, gets 22-25 around town and 28-30 on the highway, and can haul as much 4x8 sheets of plywood as a long bed pickup.  Tows 3500 pounds too.

Would not look at anything but a Honda or Toyota.

Edited by whaler
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, whaler said:

I am going to go ahead and say it...

With kids a mini van is the way to go.  More space than any SUV period, drives like a car, and road trips become a breeze.

I know, a "min van"!  Was like all the rest and said it would never happen, but after our third kid we were out of options.  After a month I wondered why we did my go this way after the first kid.

We have a Honda Odyssey and it may be the best vehicle I have ever had.  Seats 8, gets 22-25 around town and 28-30 on the highway, and can haul as much 4x8 sheets of plywood as a long bed pickup.  Tows 3500 pounds too.

Would not look at anything but a Honda or Toyota.

I always said I would never get a minivan but the surprise of twins has me second guessing that. Especially with all the pros you just said and the fact that so many of the new SUVs look mini van ish anyway there isn't much difference. If I can land a job with a shorter commute I would consider getting her one and me taking over the Terrain which is a lease 

Edited by Bad324

Yeah, i'm going to push for a van.  The Honda and Toyota are pricey though.  My mom went through 3 fords and 1 Chrysler mini van.  I believe the Chrysler lasted the best.  The Odyssey is a $40,000 vehicle though.  I'm not going to cover a $40,000 vehicle in food and dog hair!

I like everything about mini vans other than their stigma.  Fold-into-floor seats?  awesome.   Leave the 3rd row down when we have the dogs and put it up when we have more people?  Sign me up.   4x8 sheets of plywood fit without me having to set up the trailer?  Dynamite.  I would almost entertain the notion of selling the trailer if I could find a good way to secure 2 dirt bikes in the van - but I think the opposite is more likely to happen - I'll add a hitch to the corolla to keep from taking my wife's car away when I'm racing.

My Dad has owned 2 Honda Odyssey vans, and I am just so impressed overall with that platform. "They are the cool vans to own", are so damn versatile, and handle/ride so well it is just ridiculous. They have many trim levels so you don't have to get the all leather mac daddy version, I would be hardpressed to not buy one were I looking, and I don't even have any little kids. :)

We really like the 2014 Grand Cherokee we picked up a few months ago.

Mini vans are the most practical for a growing family...IMHO.  But, my wife said NEVER, and our kids are grown and gone.

3 hours ago, oldschoolsdime92 said:

I absolutely love my ridgeline. I can haul babies, and motorcycles at the same time! I have a feeling it won't fit your needs, but with the in bed trunk, and under seat storage,its perfect for me =) 

Just had an interview for a company and I would need to get a pickup with an allowance they give, really really hoping the Ridgeline would qualify cause I want one!

10 hours ago, redkow97 said:

Yeah, i'm going to push for a van.  The Honda and Toyota are pricey though.  My mom went through 3 fords and 1 Chrysler mini van.  I believe the Chrysler lasted the best.  The Odyssey is a $40,000 vehicle though.  I'm not going to cover a $40,000 vehicle in food and dog hair!

I like everything about mini vans other than their stigma.  Fold-into-floor seats?  awesome.   Leave the 3rd row down when we have the dogs and put it up when we have more people?  Sign me up.   4x8 sheets of plywood fit without me having to set up the trailer?  Dynamite.  I would almost entertain the notion of selling the trailer if I could find a good way to secure 2 dirt bikes in the van - but I think the opposite is more likely to happen - I'll add a hitch to the corolla to keep from taking my wife's car away when I'm racing.

Yes new the Odyssey is pricy, but you can pick up an off lease 2-3 years old under 36k miles for 24k to 30k depending on trim package.  Drive it for 5 years or more and still get great resale.  Have never bought a car new and never will, just doesn't make financial sense to take a 5-10k hit on something that depreciates over time.  Honda certified gets you a 100k warranty plus the remainder of the new warranty.

I would take a 2-3 year old Honda or Toyota over a new Chrysler for the same money every time.

• Upvote 1