Bike with No Title

Mary#17

My husband and I are looking at some project bikes but a couple don't have a title. Ed has looked at getting titles before and it seems like a real pain and also has some risk to it. Anybody bought a bike with no title before and been able to get it titled in Ohio? Thanks in advance. 

Mary

Don't do it. Bill of sale means dick in Ohio, there is a cumbersome process to plate an abandoned vehicle but from what I've read it's a pain and won't result in a clear (non salvage etc) title, which means insurance companies won't touch it for anything more than min coverage/liability. 

• Upvote 1

Nearly impossible in Ohio. 

The only viable option is to find a trusted friend in a state where a BOS is sufficient and have them act as a straw man, get an out-of-state title there, and then have them sell/gift it back to you. 

• 3 weeks later...

The bike has a title...  It's just not in the name of the person selling you the bike.  Ask yourself why.   Another option is to hunt down the title if it's worth your time. Where did the seller get the bike from?  Follow the chain back.

I would never buy a bike without a title.  Not even for a track bike.  You always run the risk of the actual title holder claiming the bike back.

Do you have the VIN?  Can you do a title search on this page:  https://ext.dps.state.oh.us/BMVOnlineServices.Public/TitleSearch.aspx   Then you can at least figure out how long ago the current active title was issued and which county it is in (if in Ohio).  As far as contacting the current title holder... that might be more difficult.  The title division might be able to help you.

• Upvote 1