Engine Ice experience?

Tonik

So I was due for a coolant change and did so Saturday.  Since I was doing it, I went for Engine Ice.  Flushed it twice, filled it up ran it, let it cool.  Did that process a couple of times.  I really don't see this being an air bubble issue, the bike isn't prone to that and when that happens it usually overheats bad.

It is now without question running hotter than it did before.  Rode for an hour last night and it ran hotter the whole time, not over heating hot but a full mark hotter on the gauge.  Same thing just idling in the driveway, it levels out a full mark higher than it used to when idling in the drive.

Anyone seen this on engine ice?

I had the opposite experience when I ran it in my RC51. It wasn't overwhelming, but did run a few degrees cooler with engine ice vs. standard coolant. Then put water wetter in it and it ran about the same difference cooler. Granted "cooler" running for the illogically engineered RC51 cooling system can be a bit of a misnomer. It was still hot as fuck. 

Something isn't right. Even if this stuff is total BS (which I don't think) it can't be worse. Damn it. There is no bleeder screw on this thing, no one else has had any air bubble issues with it. Damn it.

Edited by Tonik

Did you bleed the system at the water pump?

Kawasaki's have a habit of trapping air in the lower part of the cooling system.  Personally I would go back to stock or the old Honda Green standard.  Have seen engine ice and water wetter quickly corrode an engine...they just do not have the inhibitors that regular coolants have.

Edited by whaler

7 minutes ago, whaler said:

Did you bleed the system at the water pump?

Kawasaki's have a habit of trapping air in the lower part of the cooling system.  Personally I would go back to stock or the old Honda Green standard.  Have seen engine ice and water wetter quickly corrode an engine...they just do not have the inhibitors that regular coolants have.

Im gonna go back. Yea Kaws trap air, my previous 1600 Nomad was a bitch about that. But the newer 1700 motors...that I have... dont. It unheard of and there isnt a bleeder.

Edited by Tonik

Engine ice makes no actual claims to running cooler, only may run cooler. I suspect  they would not because it's made with propylene glycol which has less heat transfer than ethylene glycol.  Those who see major improvements probably removed old coolest which had lost efficiency do to corrosion and evaporation over time.  coolent should be changed every two years or you run the risk of corrosion and diminished heat transfer capacity.

The real claim is being safe for the environment.

This topic is like oil and political threads, people have very strong opinions.  Maybe it's the $20+ price tag per bottle.

12 minutes ago, whaler said:

Engine ice makes no actual claims to running cooler, only may run cooler. I suspect  they would not because it's made with propylene glycol which has less heat transfer than ethylene glycol. 

Another guy on another forum said the same thing Whaler. I think part of the results are what type of coolant the bike is designed for.

If you have been using an ethylene glycol based antifreeze, then your engine will run hotter with any propylene glycol based antifreeze regardless of the additives. I believe that the Kawi brand is EG. Engine Ice is PG with some additives not found in most coolants.

Damnit, I have been scammed.  I will just look at the bright side, I get to spend time with my bike Saturday no matter what the weather is like!!

5 hours ago, whaler said:

Those who see major improvements probably removed old coolest which had lost efficiency do to corrosion and evaporation over time.  coolent should be changed every two years or you run the risk of corrosion and diminished heat transfer capacity.

The real claim is being safe for the environment.

There is some truth to that. Though I've had positive results with Engine Ice. On my first bike I'll agree the coolant was 4 years old, but the bike only had 700 miles on it when I bought it and swappd out for EI. That was in AZ and I saw 10-15 difference in temps from stock coolant to EI.

My current bike was changed out in under two years because of the positive results and I've only seen 4-5 degrees difference, but still running cooler.