ohio salvage title to good title.? help

Anaconda44

Hello

I was wondering if anyone has bought a salvage title bike and fixed it what did you need to do. what do they check ect.

also if I buy replacement parts form say ebay or any other person what do I need to do with them ./ I heard I had to have a notarized receipt for all parts.?

if someone can walk me through it I would be grateful

thanks

I took a salvage bike years ago and converted it to rebuilt. Definitely need receipts, I did not have to have them notarized. If I remember correctly before I took it to be inspected I had to apply for some paperwork. I can't remember where or what exactly the paperwork was. I took the bike to Ravenna to be inspected. I would think your local title office could give you some advice. All in all it was a pretty painless process back in the late 90s when I did it. 

1 hour ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

Good luck finding someone to insure a rebuilt salvage bike in Ohio. You can get liability but that's it.

I was thinking about picking up a rebuilt 1000rr and my insurance agent said Progressive would cover it with full coverage. Here was the catch, however, in the case of a claim there would be a significant decrease in value. They never gave me a specific number, nor did they answer my question if the premium would be lowered since the evaluation was lower. 

If you get used parts you may need documentation of the VIN the parts came from ( I did in Australia) except when parts are shipped in from out of the country as the vins don't come up in their system but you need intl shipping receipts. Sadly it was totaled unsalvageable a second time and other driver's Ins (finally) paid average replacement value for it.

I probably wouldn't do it again unless I wanted to customise the bike again (put easy to find gsxr forks on a sv650 last time) I would like a Streetuna, VFR/RC51 with dirt bars, or a too cheap to pass up 600. Nice bikes it would be a shame to hack up and streetfighter out.

I have a friend who bought a wrecked miata and had a shop weld on a new front subframe and paint. At the inspection the state unbolted the fenders and kept them because they painted over serial numbers so no proof they weren't hot ( guilty until proven innocent?) I don't know why he couldn't have just stripped the paint, but the shop replaced them since I guess the painter should have known better.

1 minute ago, motocat12 said:

If you get used parts you may need documentation of the VIN the parts came from ( I did in Australia) except when parts are shipped in from out of the country as the vins don't come up in their system but you need intl shipping receipts. Sadly it was totaled unsalvageable a second time and other driver's Ins (finally) paid average replacement value for it.

I probably wouldn't do it again unless I wanted to customise the bike again (put easy to find gsxr forks on a sv650 last time) I would like a Streetuna, VFR/RC51 with dirt bars, or a too cheap to pass up 600. Nice bikes it would be a shame to hack up and streetfighter out.

I have a friend who bought a wrecked miata and had a shop weld on a new front subframe and paint. At the inspection the state unbolted the fenders and kept them because they painted over serial numbers so no proof they weren't hot ( guilty until proven innocent?) I don't know why he couldn't have just stripped the paint, but the shop replaced them since I guess the painter should have known better.

Same thing almost happened to me. I painted my truck a custom color, totaled it 4 weeks later, so when I went to get the inspection, the vin sticker was painted over on the doors, but luckily I hadn't repainted the new parts yet. The guy said he could have took my door but since it match the rest of the truck that was painted pre-wreck, he knew it wasn't replaced. Just a recommendation, don't paint anything until after inspection, makes everything more obvious on what was replaced.