That's not even a thing... is it?

Scruit

Shopping around for car insurance.  Online web form for Progressive won't accept a "VIN" of less than 17 characters, but my 1974 MGB only has a 13-characted "Chassis Number".   Called customer service and their advice was; "Can you get it converted to an American VIN#?"

5 hours ago, Scruit said:

Shopping around for car insurance.  Online web form for Progressive won't accept a "VIN" of less than 17 characters, but my 1974 MGB only has a 13-characted "Chassis Number".   Called customer service and their advice was; "Can you get it converted to an American VIN#?"

You might be able to, but should not need to.  13 digit VIN's were all that was on American market cars until 1980 or 81 when the 17 digit VINs came about.

You'll need to call back and get and tell the rep you want to add a vehicle with a stated amount.

I'd tell you to call me but that violates our code of ethics.

That or call back and ask to get a quote through Progressive Advantage Classic Car, you'll get in contact with a rep who writes on behalf of Hagarty and the pricing is usually very reasonable.

Edited by zx3vfr

always always always call 3 different BMV's to get the right answer. It is like clockwork that if you call 2, you will get different answers. If the 3rd has the same answer as either of the first 2 then its probably correct. If it's a 3rd different answer then you're fucked