School me on AR15's

ludwb675

I'm interested in picking up an AR15. I started doing research online and am overwhelmed. There are many different models. Looking for a few opinions.

Which brands to steer toward and/or to stay away from?

From what i can tell, i leaning toward a rifle length nitriding barrel.

Rock River Arms is a great brand. Set up nicely out of the box with lots of high dollar options for a reasonable price tag.

My tac op 2 came with sights, rubber grip, quad rail, picatinny all across the top, 5 mags and a case for 1,000. Also has chrome lined barrel and the good bcg as well as a 2 stage trigger.

They are bad and kill people.  They should be banned.  Oh wait, not a single one of my AR's has ever hurt anyone.  Actually they spend most of their lives sleeping in my safes.

There are too many variables here.  What will main purpose be? 

My big things I stay away from are anything non mil and carbon/composite.  I only want me some cold metal.    MP, Ruger, Rock, POF, a ton of others are all fine.

• Upvote 1

There are 100's of makers and opinions on who makes the best. 

What you need to know. 

1) buy mil spec

2) don't buy a poly lower 

3) don't take opinions from your coworker based on his hours of playing COD

4)  because it costs more doesn't make it better

5) you don't absolutely have to have a dust cover and forward assist like your 395 pound neighbor that thinks he's a tactical operator says 

6) no matter who's name is stamped on the lower and other parts they're all made in the same places. There's only a handful of factories that make lowers and bolt carriers and such. They just stamp names on them. 

Barrel length is decided by what you want to do with it. 16" is standard and a good do all length. You want long range get longer. I prefer 10".

Stock, Grip and Forend are personal preference. Find what you like. I prefer Magpul stock and Forend and an Ergo grip

Sights and optics are also personal preference. I use magpul flip sights and a Lucid optic. 

You just want an entry level play rifle to take to range and keep around the house, any off the shelf AR will work. You want one your way, building one is pretty easy. 

PSA offers many good combinations and very good prices for a good do all standard rifle. 

Go to the store and gun shows, handle them all and find the the things you like and dislike and go from there. 

I can order anything you want or build one for you from the parts you prefer also. 

• Upvote 3

CDNN has some decent deals going on right now for complete kits minus the lower. If you want an affordable rifle and would like to put it together yourself. 400-500 for everything but the lower including a soft case and entry level optics plus mags delivered to your door. All you need is a 65-100 lower and 15-20 minutes of time to assemble. 

My two cents?    My Colt and Armalite have been flawless. Stay away from the bottom feeder brand and you'll be fine.  If I were going to buy another I'd get a Colt 6920.   AR discussions are like arguing about pizza.  People have strong opinions.  Now that I have warned you check out www.ar15.com

14 hours ago, MidgetTodd said:

There are 100's of makers and opinions on who makes the best. 

What you need to know. 

1) buy mil spec

2) don't buy a poly lower 

3) don't take opinions from your coworker based on his hours of playing COD

4)  because it costs more doesn't make it better

5) you don't absolutely have to have a dust cover and forward assist like your 395 pound neighbor that thinks he's a tactical operator says 

6) no matter who's name is stamped on the lower and other parts they're all made in the same places. There's only a handful of factories that make lowers and bolt carriers and such. They just stamp names on them. 

Barrel length is decided by what you want to do with it. 16" is standard and a good do all length. You want long range get longer. I prefer 10".

Stock, Grip and Forend are personal preference. Find what you like. I prefer Magpul stock and Forend and an Ergo grip

Sights and optics are also personal preference. I use magpul flip sights and a Lucid optic. 

You just want an entry level play rifle to take to range and keep around the house, any off the shelf AR will work. You want one your way, building one is pretty easy. 

PSA offers many good combinations and very good prices for a good do all standard rifle. 

Go to the store and gun shows, handle them all and find the the things you like and dislike and go from there. 

I can order anything you want or build one for you from the parts you prefer also. 

Oh I bet you do. 

• Upvote 1

No shorter than 10" if you have plans to add a suppressor. Also need to be atleast 10" to not adversely affect the ballistics of the 556 round. 

7.5 is ok to play around with in pistol form. I prefer rifle form. AR pistol is just something I never understood. The FN 57 is a much better choice if you want AR type rounds in pistol from. IMO. 

Thanks for all the responses so far! I've been gone all weekend and at the track yesterday so i haven't been able to look into the suggestions yet. And they frown upon gun sites at work so i'll start checking stuff out tonight. 

Main use will just be shooting shit in the back yard. And just to get one before they get ban-hammered at some point in the future.