Ducati Hate

They can be difficult to maintain, and expensive to do so.  For example valve adjusting is pretty frequent on some models and you need a midget with four arms to do it. If you have a dealer do it they nail you for it.  1000 to 1600, and some models need it every 7500 miles.  I would need it done twice a season.  Newer models are getting better,

It's like all the old Harley peeps from the AMF days moved to Italy and got jobs there.

That said, between maintenance visits I understand they are super machines.  Great stuff.

There's nothing wrong with Ducati. You just have to understand what you are buying and it's not a Honda. Most people that buy them, love them but there's always the exception. Some Ducati's of the past weren't as reliable so they developed a bit of a bad reputation.  Most of the newer bikes have overcome much of those problems but you're still going to pay more for standard service intervals on a Duc then you will a Japanese bike. And, parts are way more expensive. As long as you understand that going it, there is no problem. 

My husband and I have owned several Ducati's and I can't image owning another bike except maybe a Triumph but I love the power band of the twin. 

Edited by Mary#17
  • Upvote 1

For the 2016 Multistrada, Ducati says the following:

"routine maintenance intervals have been extended to 15,000 km 9,000 miles) (or one year) and valve timing adjustment to 30,000 km (18,000 miles),"

(they actually had the miles conversion reversed and I fixed it for the purposes of this post).

Not too bad...still, lot of $ for the work to be done, no matter how often.

Edited by ScubaCinci
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Idiot said:

Thanks IP!

and on an unrelated side note:  if Isaac's Papa and Crazy Skull Crusher ever collaborated on a motorcycle for sale ad it'd probably sell quicker than a Formula 1 pit stop

Still havent sold that fucking Kawasaki,a and someone flagged that long hilarious ad I wrote for removal, probably some douchebag Harley fan boy.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

I've ridden lots of bikes. GSX-R to Road King. Not one of them compares to either of my girls. The Multistrada is the best machine I've ridden. It has great street-able power and is as flickable as a dirt bike. It's comfortable and fast. I've kept pace with some fast riders on amazing machines, and it has 95 HP at the crank. It is just an amazing machine with tons of riding reward. It has quirks. That is fact. I've spent a great deal of money perfecting it from its factory condition. I've done this because the ride is so worth the trouble. The damn thing is hideous. I don't care one little bit. I don't even see how ugly it is, because it's that damn good to ride. 

Now, Isabella is a whole other being. She's special. She has the right amount of sexy and understatement that really turns me on. Nothing on that bike is unnecessary. Everything about that bike is just right. She makes 80 HP at the crank, and she's fast as fuck in all the right ways. Light, tight and oh so right. I can't explain it, but she's already driving into the corner before I know what's happening. Nimble and razor sharp, she holds a line like a train on rails. The noises that echo from under the fairings and fuel tank are mesmerizing. I find myself holding RPM levels through corners just because I like that particular note. When I'm not possessed by her symphonic chatter, I'm immersed in her ability to haul major fucking ass with such little effort. For a bike that was assembled two decades ago, she's got a lot going for her. Most importantly..she's just so damn elegant. She doesn't need 170 hp and electronic anything to be everything that's right with riding a sportbike. She has all the right stuff and just enough of it. 

The reason I never recommend Ducs to friends is I can't promise the connection I have with my bikes, and without that emotional attachment, I'm not sure owning them would be appealing. I absolutely love my bikes. I talk about selling them, but I know that's all bullshit. I'm not selling shit and I know it. I'm enamored with both bikes and don't see myself riding anything else. 

The other side of that is the maintenance. Most people view maintenance as a burden. I see it as an opportunity to give back to my bikes for all the fun they've awarded to me. I'm also a bit of a perfectionist...and I'm vain. I love telling people how many miles Isabella has on her odometer. I love when people come up to here at a gas station and just beg me to fire up her engine. I love how people ask how it feels to ride her and how I know I can't even begin to justify their question with an answer. I love when people dismount her after a jaunt through some random sexton of twisty bits of sweepers and switchbacks. The amazement they have and the awe of how perfect she really is makes me feel satisfaction. She's a well designed bike, and I've kep her running like new. I love the fact that she's one of the best running Ducatis I've ever piloted. She runs just as well as my Multistrada and it's a decade newer. She has every bit of sex appeal she had in 1999, if she hasn't developed even more since she's been racking up the miles....which I totally think she has. She's the hottest thing in my garage, at any given time.

So, Izzy fulfills many sinful desires and she makes zero apologies for it. I like that in a woman. I would strongly recommend you buy one, but we all know they're all just a bunch of junk. 

tldr

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm in the same boat as IP, I love my 2 Ducati's.  Neither is a perfect bike and I will agree with everything so far on the service intervals and cost.  I bought the first one (07 sport classic) without ever riding it and I have no intentions of ever getting rid of it.  My second Duc is my '06 749 superbike that I picked up just for track riding and isn't currently street legal.  As much as people claim to hate the looks of the 749/999 series I dig them and the price was right.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

The best thing about Ducatis is there are no two identical bikes. They're hand built..by actual human hands..and human desire to build a quality product. Machines don't weld with skill or desire to run the perfect bead. Machines just weld. They don't feel pride in what they are manufacturing. They don't feel anything. How can you build anything with soul, if it isn't built by something with soul? Cookie-cutter bikes are rock solid and will be the same across the board. This is efficient. It's worthy of merit. It's a fine way to bring motorcycling to the masses. Reliable and affordable...and absolutely zero character or charm. They're all reliable and efficient. They're all the same. 

Lol... humans make errors. They get tired. They come into work hungover or pissed off at their wives. They rush, they fuck up. 

Dollar for dollar, I'll take a mass produced bike over some intangible mumbo jumbo feels any day.

• Downvote 2

I agree with IP, the Multistrada really blew me away in just about every aspect. Partly because I rode the Hyperstrada first and was underwhelmed. Engine felt decent but damn that thing did not want to lean into the corners at all. My XRL handles better. So I had lowered expectations of the MS before the ride. Long term seat comfort would be questionable for my fat ass but I sat on the Enduro model which has a slightly different seat and it was much more comfortable. If something happened to my Tenere (and I was ok), I would seriously consider it even though it's pricey and there are no dealers nearby. If I added a second bike, it would be an FJ-09 as it's way more economical but still a fun scoot.

So a couple things.  Only the scrambler model is made outside Italy as far as I know.  The Starbucks thing is a joke, I can't stand coffee and you will never find my bike parked in front of one.  Now a pub or at a bike night, sure, I am proud of the bikes I own.  The way I treat my 2007 Sportclassic is borderline on an unhealthy obsession with making it as unique and stunning as you can make a well used bike.  I have spent almost as much on upgrades to the bike as I paid for it new back in 2008.  What I have created though is something that nobody else in the country has and for the most part would be almost impossible to reproduce due to the number of custom and one off parts.  As with all things mechanical the styling may not be for everybody but I gave up comfort for what I feel is beauty and uncompromising performance.  She is a 375lb (wet) motorcycle with dyno proven 90hp and 67ftlbs of torque, oh and over 25K miles at this point.  It does get ridden.  Service on mine is oil change every 3500-3750 miles; belt tension, valve check and oil change every 7500 miles;  Belts replaced at 15000 miles or two years.

Here is a picture of it shortly after buying her.  The only noticeable thing in the picture to me that isn't stock is the rear lights.  I already put the fender eliminator and wrap around LED lights on it.PICT4364.jpg

This picture I took last fall after I pretty much have reached all the possible things to change on the bike to make it my own.

IMG_20140307_183820032.jpg

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Oh, right. You're a ABS fanboy. That leaves out any Duc I would suggest...which would be none, since you asked. 

Yea, that is a deal killer my friend.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, motocat12 said:

The Starbucks hate just sticks on them by ASSociation.

We ride out around the Fairlawn area every once in a while and stop off at Robeks for smoothies. There's a Starbucks right next door. We get a chuckle out of it. Although I'm not sure if Robeks is much better except it's cold. ;)

After my experience with Aprilia, and watching my friends $30k 1199r lose all its oil on his garage floor and need a complete new engine(still leaking oil), you can keep the Italian bike "charm" and "character".  Learned my lesson.

8 hours ago, vf1000ride said:

So a couple things.  Only the scrambler model is made outside Italy as far as I know.  The Starbucks thing is a joke, I can't stand coffee and you will never find my bike parked in front of one.  Now a pub or at a bike night, sure, I am proud of the bikes I own.  The way I treat my 2007 Sportclassic is borderline on an unhealthy obsession with making it as unique and stunning as you can make a well used bike.  I have spent almost as much on upgrades to the bike as I paid for it new back in 2008.  What I have created though is something that nobody else in the country has and for the most part would be almost impossible to reproduce due to the number of custom and one off parts.  As with all things mechanical the styling may not be for everybody but I gave up comfort for what I feel is beauty and uncompromising performance.  She is a 375lb (wet) motorcycle with dyno proven 90hp and 67ftlbs of torque, oh and over 25K miles at this point.  It does get ridden.  Service on mine is oil change every 3500-3750 miles; belt tension, valve check and oil change every 7500 miles;  Belts replaced at 15000 miles or two years.

Here is a picture of it shortly after buying her.  The only noticeable thing in the picture to me that isn't stock is the rear lights.  I already put the fender eliminator and wrap around LED lights on it.PICT4364.jpg

This picture I took last fall after I pretty much have reached all the possible things to change on the bike to make it my own.

IMG_20140307_183820032.jpg

Ok....that sport classic is pretty fricking awesome....