Fall Trip To The Gap (or Elsewhere)?

ScubaCinci

@ScubaCinci Joe:  I'll chime in here just to remind you that if you're on the hook for route planning to the NC area, most if not all the work has been done for you.  Just go to the LocalRider forum and search the Touring thread for any of the recent (last 3-4 years) Fall Trip threads.  My recommendation for most fun/twisties would be the 2014 route (p#6, I believe) that Dice and I worked on.  Not the fastest way down, but you'll never be bored.  Hits all the favorites like Black Mtn, 16/Hungry Mother, 421/the Snake, 209, and a few that most have never heard about...like Hayters Gap.  Two day ride with an overnight in Abingdon VA.  Other routes used by Bannister and Scott Hyflyer go east thru WV with a stop at Hillbilly Hot Dogs and an overnight in Raleigh, then down the BRP.

• Upvote 1

It will be empty down there in October. You can do dragon laps all by yourself if you want. But keep in mind it will be nippy in the mornings at altitude and less daylight.

4 days, leave on Thursday and keep moving is my vote.

Post your thoughts in the next day or two and then i will tally it up.

4 hours ago, Tonik said:

It will be empty down there in October. You can do dragon laps all by yourself if you want. But keep in mind it will be nippy in the mornings at altitude and less daylight.

4 days, leave on Thursday and keep moving is my vote.

Post your thoughts in the next day or two and then i will tally it up.

Sounds good to me. October can get really cold down there. FYI. My first trip down there was in October. We had sleet and lots of rain. 

8 hours ago, Casper said:

Sounds good to me. October can get really cold down there. FYI. My first trip down there was in October. We had sleet and lots of rain. 

Yea, weather can sometimes go to shit.  I have been there in November and been fine.

1 hour ago, Isaac's Papa said:

I like the idea of staying nomadic, but am apprehensive of the overall increase in vacation dollars versus finding a cabin and splitting the cost. I know @Tonik has a solution for this. Hit me, old man. 

I will admit I didn't think of the cabin sharing thing for costs.  I don't share rooms with anyone except the wife so it never entered my mind.  I have two solutions, we stay in one spot to accommodate that or you pick up a part time gig as a gay male prostitute to generate some extra cash.

1 hour ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Staying nomadic is also doable, pending I have a roommate that needs blow... wait, that wants to split room cost. 

17 minutes ago, Casper said:

Ditto, minus the blow. 

Well there you go, you both got a room mate.

BTW, I know where all the cheap good hotels are.  For example 35 bucks in Franklin at a Mom and Pop roadside hotel that is clean and just fine.  75 bucks in Townsend TN, right at the end of the Foothills Pkwy with a great BBQ place across the street.  And cell phone service.

Shame Joe doesn't know about this stuff since he is the official planner.

• Upvote 1

On 8/8/2016 at 1:39 PM, Tonik said:

How long do we want this trip to be, I will start planning routes since @ScubaCinci pretty much sucks.

Yes, I suck at planning especially when planning for others. My wife's a planner, I'm generally a go do it and figure it out as I go guy. I don't shack up with a celly either. I'm gonna look at the stuff Bubba pointed out. I think I have some of the GPX files already.

I know you hate going through Cinci...are you going to cut down through WV and E. OH again?

1 minute ago, ScubaCinci said:

I know you hate going through Cinci...are you going to cut down through WV and E. OH again?

Since it seems this is a Nomadic trip and based on who is going so far I am thinking down through Ripley, you can meet us there. That puts us all in the same spot at the begining of the trip. Then we cut through to Lexington and maybe down that route you and I took last fall and stay in Townsend. Gonna be a long day for the CLE peeps but f' em, they will get over it.

On the way back I am pondering, but maybe we can get to Beckly WV by Saturday night.  That isn't too bad for you, rest of us can blast up 16 to get home.