Mid Ohio Aug. 22-24 or Sept. 1

Skel

8 minutes ago, J_Copeland said:

Let's just say my coach "Bam Bam" was not running novice pace.
We were on it from 1st session,while the other groups were going snail pace or less.
Now that would be a waste for the more experienced rider.

What happened when you ran up on a slower group? Did you do the lead follow? How many guys riders in that group?

What happened when you ran up on a slower group? Did you do the lead follow? How many guys riders in that group?

The slower groups moved over.
We did do the lead,follow for 2 sessions.
We had 2 then went to 3 with my buddy Mike.
He had a off during the leapfrog,so we were back at 2.

3 minutes ago, J_Copeland said:

The slower groups moved over.
We did do the lead,follow for 2 sessions.
We had 2 then went to 3 with my buddy Mike.
He had a off during the leapfrog,so we were back at 2.

So did you get the bump to I group? Anyone evaluate for a bump? Was the last two sessions open track?

53 minutes ago, J_Copeland said:

I had to do Novice at Mid-Ohio last September because it was my 1st time there.
I was told that you have to do 2 novices before you can move to I.

Seriously, 2 days?  Any chance they thought you were new to the track in general?.....and even then, that is too high of a requirement IMHO.  First day on track should start in a well structured novice group....bumps to I should be allowed after the basics/rules are covered, at the request of the rider, and with an instructors approval.  I'd even go as far as making "provisional" jerseys for riders who have just bumped.

38 minutes ago, Vagabound said:

If the more experienced riders respect the rules of N group shouldn't be a problem. Usually passing in the straights is the rule of thumb. In all actuality I don't believe in passing in the corners on track days. Racers don't do it unless the guy ahead breaks too deep and blows a corner.

Yes, when I registered Intermediate was requested. They asked if I had rode Mid-O and I was honest. She told me everyone new to the track had to be in Novice. But because I did not research and read all the rules I went in thinking a way different mindset. I never seen a Novice group run that way.

The video is a phenomenal tool. All coaches should have one and a laptop. Seeing your body position, how early you are REALLY braking is a great leaning tool. Plus someone always has video evidence of rules being broke. Sitting out a session is a great way to enforce rules.

Agree, no rider should cause problems bumping down....if they can't follow the rules, they shouldn't be on track in any group. 

For passing in a corner....I don't have a problem with it as long as it is within the rules and doesn't cause the other rider to change his/her line....either directly or by startling them.  I learned on a tired 600, a lot of the time only option to pass was in a corner.

1 minute ago, RHill said:

For passing in a corner....I don't have a problem with it as long as it is within the rules and doesn't cause the other rider to change his/her line....either directly or by startling them.  I learned on a tired 600, a lot of the time only option to pass was in a corner.

Pass them on the brakes! I know I know I know, lot's of hate for doing that. Still think it's safer than a mid corner pass.

8 minutes ago, Vagabound said:

Pass them on the brakes! I know I know I know, lot's of hate for doing that. Still think it's safer than a mid corner pass.

True, but if they are stretching the gap on the straights and you are not good enough on the brakes to get it done before tip in, your options are limited.  I'm still more comfortable passing someone on the outside vs inside on the brakes from my time in intermediate on the 600.....750 has started to change that though, and I'm getting a little better on the brakes.

Agree, no rider should cause problems bumping down....if they can't follow the rules, they shouldn't be on track in any group. 

Art asked me what I was riding and how many TD's I've done.
Since it was my 1st time there,I was fine doing novice,especially the pace we were running.
Plus,It can be a meatgrinder will the "So called" I think I'm fast guys,and the guys that hold lines and pass safely.
Just sucks my SV has no power to do passing like the 750 did.

I don't know about anyone else,but I had an AWESOME time!!!!:D

Was in N group 4.Seven groups of 5-6,.Before lunch break they started bumping up in N group and into Intermediate.

A few back down from Inter to N group.Up to the discretion of the coaches who IMO did a great job!!

Few went off but no major injuries that I know of.

Monday is always relatively full with ties.and wed. light turn out.So as the suggestion of my coach, go the second or third days if you want a more open track time.He wanted me to come back wed.but I couldn't make it happen.?

The track walk afterwards with Mark Junge was pretty cool!!!??

Huge fan of his Vesra Susuki days???

I'm back for sure!!!!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, J_Copeland said:

Art asked me what I was riding and how many TD's I've done.
Since it was my 1st time there,I was fine doing novice,especially the pace we were running.
Plus,It can be a meatgrinder will the "So called" I think I'm fast guys,and the guys that hold lines and pass safely.
Just sucks my SV has no power to do passing like the 750 did.

You know how you can fix that don't you. :D

Just now, Jester_ said:

There are more 675s around than anything at this point. Or at least that's how it was this weekend. 

It was like a Triumph sponsored trackday or something....either that or I've never actually paid attention until today.  Walking back from the riders meeting, a good 75% of the canopies had at least one 675 under it.

It was like a Triumph sponsored trackday or something....either that or I've never actually paid attention until today.  Walking back from the riders meeting, a good 75% of the canopies had at least one 675 under it.

Interesting !

12 hours ago, RHill said:

Hell, we had 3 lol.

14 hours ago, Jester_ said:

There are more 675s around than anything at this point. Or at least that's how it was this weekend. 

I picked the 675 when i started riding (after my 250) cause no one had them. All you saw was gixxers and ninjas. When i started tracking 4 years ago, i could only spot maybe one other 675 on the grid. Now you can't walk 10 feet without tripping over one.  :cry:

But i still wouldn't have any other bike. I love the wide torque band and the triple howl. 

Edited by ludwb675