Midohio September 6th

blue03636

Anybody know who the rider I was chasing for most of this intermediate session is?  You probably get the best look at him around 8:15.  I only ask because he had a Gopro pointing backwards during that session and I wouldn't mind checking out that video.

20 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

I saw a white bike and I was hoping it was me. But it isnt. :(

It had unpainted race fairings... I couldn't tell what kind of bike it was, but I'm assuming a liter bike of some kind from the way it pulled down the straights.

12 minutes ago, RHill said:

unfortunately can't help you finding the rider.....curious what that little "Mantis" box?  Looks like temp readouts?

Yeah, it displays the tire surface temps.  It's a neat gadget... I haven't been using it long, so I'm still on the fence about how valuable it is though.  I'm not sure how directly surface temps correlate to carcass temps.  

At the very least it's good for telling you when the track is still cold in the morning, and could serve as a way to keep an eye on how well you're tire warmers are functioning.

37 minutes ago, JustinFRC said:

Yeah, it displays the tire surface temps.  It's a neat gadget... I haven't been using it long, so I'm still on the fence about how valuable it is though.  I'm not sure how directly surface temps correlate to carcass temps.  

At the very least it's good for telling you when the track is still cold in the morning, and could serve as a way to keep an eye on how well you're tire warmers are functioning.

Ohhhh that is basically shooting an IR temp gauge at the tires???  Wasn't sure what the temps were coming from. That is pretty neat.  Don't think it would be much use on a "good" day, but like you said if it isn't ideal conditions, if you are not running at pace, or if you warmers fail....it could save you.  Just had a front warmer fail Tuesday....got lucky that I was feeling for heat from the warmers between sessions.

4 minutes ago, RHill said:

Ohhhh that is basically shooting an IR temp gauge at the tires???  Wasn't sure what the temps were coming from. That is pretty neat.  Don't think it would be much use on a "good" day, but like you said if it isn't ideal conditions, if you are not running at pace, or if you warmers fail....it could save you.  Just had a front warmer fail Tuesday....got lucky that I was feeling for heat from the warmers between sessions.

Yeah, it's also probably more useful to an intermediate track day rider that's still figuring things out as they go, like me, than a racer who already has their bike pretty well dialed in.  I'm still running street tires, so it should give me insight on I when to consider stepping up to more serious rubber.

you'd be surprised....I know of a few coaches who were out in novice and made snap decisions to blitz into a corner on a cold tire.  Having the gauge on there as an immediate reference would make all the difference.  Temp seems to vary with traction requirements pretty well.  If they weren't so pricy, I'd probably pick one up, but need to spend it on another tire warmer.

41 minutes ago, blue-yamaR6s said:

Ouch! Bad face plant there and so fast. Surgery? Heal up Craig.  How bad is the bike? Hope you got some laps in before that happened.

It was session 3 so a few. Find out about surgery tomorrow. Bike needs minimal parts.

Other than the couple red flags and injuries.....it was a great 3 days at Mid-O!

The new, extended, patchwork in the keyhole was messing with me.  It is smooth and you can run right across it with very little issue, but I was accustom to using it as a guide to my inside apex marker.  If you stay inside the patchwork now, it results in an early 2nd apex and holding a constant radius for too long, late throttle pickup and losing drive down the back straight.  Have to work on getting over the mental hurdle of rolling over it at pace.

Tons of bike video from Tuesday and Wednesday.....some off-bike of groups circulating from Monday as well (hopefully it turned out OK).  Will get a couple more clips uploaded tonight.

For now, we have TimTheAzn killing it in his 2nd intermediate session....6th of the day Tuesday.     

We discussed a couple things , but overall one giant:

hByZGbUtG7J_TqZK2GcCMuSJdE4GOJTF38vXu0fj

Cannot wait to get back out there.

• Upvote 2

Wasn't bad, but a little disappointed the front mount was shaking a little bit....on the higher speed runs, it got pretty ugly.

36 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Thanks again for slowing it down and following/leading me. Like I said, I've never had to opportunity to watch myself ride.

Anytime....have a feeling the "slowing down" won't last long. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, NinjaDoc said:

nice, clean video

Tim I might have seen you in another novice guy video upload in youtube. Check you tube for pirc aug 27 > some guy from novice group was uploading couple of videos

Was he on a red daytona?

I did a quick scan of those vids and didnt see myself, I'll have to watch closer when I get home.

Edited by TimTheAzn

10 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Was he on a red daytona?

I did a quick scan of those vids and didnt see myself, I'll have to watch closer when I get home.

yea I think so,

roughly compared to regular street riding, what would be a speed limit of the corner at let say 54 sec to 57 sec mark be at? like would you say it feels like a 25mph, 30 mph corner or 45 mph corner etc

Just now, NinjaDoc said:

yea I think so,

roughly compared to regular street riding, what would be a speed limit of the corner at let say 54 sec to 57 sec mark be at? like would you say it feels like a 25mph, 30 mph corner or 45 mph corner etc

Which video? (URL?) 

It may prove difficult to gauge since I tape over my speedo with a piece of tape during track days.

Just now, TimTheAzn said:

Which video? (URL?)

It may prove difficult to gauge since I tape over my speedo with a piece of tape during track days.

I mean on the video posted by ryan, for eg: at 55 sec mark you guys are in a corner, in real street term roughly what would be posted speed limit for such a corner. Just trying to imagine are these super tight like deals gap corners or more relaxed radius like 83 south?