IT Friends, need your help setting up my home office!

Bad324

Now that my wife is going back to work next week I'm going to be working from home 2 days a week and I want to set up my home office like I have at work.

My set up there is a Dell laptop with a docking station in which then I have dual monitors. 

I have another docking station for home and I have 1 free monitor and 1 monitor connected to our desktop.

1) do I need any more parts to make a dual monitor from the laptop dock work?

2) is there such ability to use the desktop monitor for both the desktop and dual monitor off the dock without having to unplug the cord everytime I need to switch?

3) if it's easier just to have dual monitors separate from the desktop monitor, can you suggest a cheap flat screen monitor. Like super cheap and doesn't need to be fancy at all. The two I'm currently using are at least 3-5 years old now 

• Downvote 1

Easy solution: Find another cheap monitor. http://www.newegg.com/ and keep your laptop open and use that as a screen in addition to the stand alone monitor.

Does your existing dual monitor setup at work have a HDMI or VGA splitter? (1 to 2?) You'll probably need a splitter if you want dual stand alone monitors.

• Upvote 1

What video inputs/outputs are we talking?

If the monitor auto-detects or is easy to switch(some menu/buttons PITA) you can vga/DVI cable one(no speakers) and hdmi the other for the shared monitor.

"One free monitor" down vote for not already having the desktop on dual screens:yuno:

Edited by motocat12

52 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Easy solution: Find another cheap monitor. http://www.newegg.com/ and keep your laptop open and use that as a screen in addition to the stand alone monitor.

Does your existing dual monitor setup at work have a HDMI or VGA splitter? (1 to 2?) You'll probably need a splitter if you want dual stand alone monitors.

I'm assuming there is a splitter but I have no idea. It was already set up like that when I started so I'd have to look.

For your easy solution, I already have a cheap monitor that I could do that and laptop open for 2 screens which would totally work. What do I need to do to make that happen?

40 minutes ago, motocat12 said:

What video inputs/outputs are we talking?

If the monitor auto-detects or is easy to switch(some menu/buttons PITA) you can vga/DVI cable one(no speakers) and hdmi the other for the shared monitor.

"One free monitor" down vote for not already having the desktop on dual screens:yuno:

whatever the old style ones are called, it's not HDMI

Your down vote is stupid. The only time I use the desktop is when I need to update Plex with whatever new media I have acquired so no need for 2 monitors. My wife uses it the most and she doesn't have a use for 2 monitors at home.

20 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

I use something like this at work. I run a KVM switch so one mouse and keyboard can run the main PC and the secondary PC. The main PC uses dual monitors, but the secondary PC only uses one of the dual monitors when switched.

I think this is what my buddy has set up at his place, sounds familiar

17 minutes ago, Bad324 said:

@TimTheAzn I just figured it out. This will totally work for me. Thanks!!!!

haha I was gonna say, all you gotta do is plug that single monitor into your laptop and keep it open.

You'll most likely want more screen real estate in the future if you are doing real work. ;)

41 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

haha I was gonna say, all you gotta do is plug that single monitor into your laptop and keep it open.

You'll most likely want more screen real estate in the future if you are doing real work. ;)

I had the plug in part right but needed to change the display setting so that it would do the Expand instead of Duplicate screen.

If I ever need more than 2 screens for a job, that job better have six figures as the salary.

If for some reason you want another monitor, I got this on Woot for 90 bucks and its great as a secondary/tertiary monitor. 

http://computers.woot.com/offers/acer-h236hl-23-h6-series-led-lcd-monitor-1

Acer H236HL 23" H6 Series LED LCD Monitor - UM.VH6AA.004

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-H236HL-bid-23-Inch-Widescreen/dp/B00AZMLIDQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475687412&sr=8-1&keywords=acer+h236hl

1 hour ago, Bad324 said:

I had the plug in part right but needed to change the display setting so that it would do the Expand instead of Duplicate screen.

If I ever need more than 2 screens for a job, that job better have six figures as the salary.

Damn, I've got 4 monitors, I must be doing it wrong.

Or I'm getting fucked........ < Most likely option. Anyone hiring an Infrastructure Engineer? hahah

Edited by TimTheAzn

8 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Damn, I've got 4 monitors, I must be doing it wrong.

Or I'm getting fucked........ < Most likely option. Anyone hiring an Infrastructure Engineer? hahah

I'm feeling the same way. I just downsized from 5 monitors to 3. I don't miss the hum of a rack with 2 UPS's at my feet.

Just now, Tonik said:

Slackers. I have three on my primary, next to that is a Surface Book and a Chromebook.  Then behind me is another full desktop.

I better be getting paid a lot more than I am now to have to have that many machines.....

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Slackers. I have three on my primary, next to that is a Surface Book and a Chromebook.  Then behind me is another full desktop.

I had a Dolby Box, Video Vector Scope, DVC Pro Deck, Beta Deck (If you have seen one of these, you're old), UPS #1, Windows PC #1, DVD Rack, TiVo Box, Windows PC #2, UPS #2, & a junk printer lol. 4 Foot rack on each end of the desk held it all.

I would assume you IT folk need more for whatever reason. As a Project Manager and also Grade A mutlitasker, 2 screens is all I need. I could see maybe a use for a 3rd but like I said if I'm going to be that efficient, I better be getting six figures

1 minute ago, Bad324 said:

Next task is getting a better damn chair finally. This little piece of shit thing my wife has had for years is not cutting it for a whole days work

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003G4OJK4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Been using these at work for 4 years. I liked it so much I bought one for home.

Just now, JustinNck1 said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003G4OJK4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Been using these at work for 4 years. I liked it so much I bought one for home.

that looks really nice....but I'm cheap :lol:

I'll probably settle for a $40 staples/office max black friday special. Anything is better than this thing...

IMG_2703.JPG

2 minutes ago, Bad324 said:

that looks really nice....but I'm cheap :lol:

I'll probably settle for a $40 staples/office max black friday special. Anything is better than this thing...

Funny you say that. My previous 2 chairs were on black friday. One i got a walmart for $25. It was nice, lasted until the following Black Friday where I got a high back executive chair from Office Depot for $75. 

I get my chairs for free on craigslist after people buy new ones on black friday, then add a custom lumbar bolster.

2 laptops 2nd monitor for one, 36 tv for the other, 3 phones.

My cousin was giving me a tour of their new house. I asked where the office/computer room was. He said they do everything off an Ipad:nono: