noise cancelling earbuds

i-Zapp

any experience with these things? https://www.amazon.com/Bose-QuietComfort-Acoustic-Cancelling-Headphones/dp/B00X9KV0HU

I've been using either my Fit Ear molded plugs, or cheap disposable foam inserts, but have two issues:

1. I rarely get a good fit into my ear canal and the molded plugs get dislodged and leak sound

2. the foam plugs work better, but cut too much sound

For track riding especially, I really want to hear the motor (instead of the wind) and as expensive as the Bose headphones are I might give it a shot. Besides I can listen to Mariah Carey while ripping around the track! (jk, I can't listen to music while riding)

I just use the cheap disposables.

Ron uses some custom fit ear plugs and he loves them, they are designed for motorcycle riding so they still let some sound in. If you go to the motorcycle show they normally have a booth set up every year and they can make them right there. 

• Upvote 1

I have a senna, but before I had that I used these, and still use these when I wear my Arai since I dont have a senna on that:

https://www.amazon.com/Skullcandy-Fix-Headphone-Button-Remote/dp/B007GN1454/ref=sr_1_5?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1481205388&sr=1-5&keywords=skullcandy+the+fix

They stay in my ears when I put the helmet on and stay in there pretty well. I can hear my music and my surroundings to a certain extent. No active sound cancelling though.

I also have these for the office: 

https://www.amazon.com/Bose-QuietComfort-Acoustic-Cancelling-Headphones/dp/B0117RFP0Y/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1481205498&sr=1-6&keywords=bose+noise+cancelling+headphones

If those buds use the same sound cancelling technology as the ones I have, you may not like the amount of noise that is cancelled out. In my experience with these, constant noises are almost completely gone. The sound processor has a more difficult time cancelling out random noises, like someone clapping. My fear is, the motor and wind noise (since it's pretty constant noise) might be almost completely gone and you'd be riding around near deaf lol. 

Edited by TimTheAzn

4 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

My fear is, the motor and wind noise (since it's pretty constant noise) might be almost completely gone and you'd be riding around near deaf lol. 

yes, that's exactly my concern. you almost need a microphone pointed at the exhaust and piped into the headset. maybe i'll just get a better helmet and a louder exhaust...

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, i-Zapp said:

yes, that's exactly my concern. you almost need a microphone pointed at the exhaust and piped into the headset. maybe i'll just get a better helmet and a louder exhaust...

I'd give those skull candy's a shot before you drop that coin. $30 bucks!

Edit: I've had mine for like 3 years now of constant near every day abuse from working out and riding and they have been solid.

Edited by TimTheAzn

18 minutes ago, TRMN8TR said:

Just look for some cheap disposable ear plugs that have a lower dB rating. They won't cancel out as much so you can hear what you want to hear. 

If I understand correctly...you don't want music you want to cut down wind noise but still hear the bike and traffic...the above is the correct answer. Ear plugs certainly do cut down on the volume of the stuff you want to hear but you can still hear it.  And the wind noise will be virtually gone.

It's your body defending itself...without plugs the wind noise is so loud your mind shuts down your ears.  Take away the wind noise with the plugs and your mind will focus on the rest of it and you will hear it.  Same is true of your eyes, they self adjust if you mess up your computer monitor adjustments...they compensate for your mistakes.

2 minutes ago, Tonik said:

If I understand correctly...you don't want music you want to cut down wind noise but still hear the bike and traffic...the above is the correct answer. Ear plugs certainly do cut down on the volume of the stuff you want to hear but you can still hear it.  And the wind noise will be virtually gone.

It's your body defending itself...without plugs the wind noise is so loud your mind shuts down your ears.  Take away the wind noise with the plugs and your mind will focus on the rest of it and you will hear it.  Same is true of your eyes, they self adjust if you mess up your computer monitor adjustments...they compensate for your mistakes.

Correct, and normally listening to music on the track is frowned upon.

You still need to be able to hear if there is someone getting ready to stuff you in a turn or listen for any other bikes around you.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Jester_ said:

Correct, and normally listening to music on the track is frowned upon.

Yea I don't think I could do it. I saw a guy in A at NCBike running his senna but like you said, I need to hear people when they come up on my slow ass. :lol:

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Yea I don't think I could do it. I saw a guy in A at NCBike running his senna but like you said, I need to hear people when they come up on my slow ass. :lol:

Marcel Irnie used to race motoamerica with them in. He still races WERA and other events while listening to music but idk... not for me. 

2 minutes ago, Jester_ said:

Marcel Irnie used to race motoamerica with them in. He still races WERA and other events while listening to music but idk... not for me. 

I have noticed that watching his videos. Idk, I may give it a go, on the street I really enjoy it and can get into a groove but on track I honestly think I'll end up blocking it out because I'm so hyper focused on what I'm doing.

1 minute ago, TimTheAzn said:

I have noticed that watching his videos. Idk, I may give it a go, on the street I really enjoy it and can get into a groove but on track I honestly think I'll end up blocking it out because I'm so hyper focused on what I'm doing.

Im the exact same way, I wont even try it. 

I dont want to hurt someone or wad up their bike because im listening to music. 

Unless its Brandons bike. I can wad that up and not even be listening to music. 

4 minutes ago, Jester_ said:

Im the exact same way, I wont even try it. 

I dont want to hurt someone or wad up their bike because im listening to music. 

Unless its Brandons bike. I can wad that up and not even be listening to music. 

I ride 10% faster when Backstreet Boys are on, just sayin.

I've come to find out the Bose buds have two levels of sound canceling - and a guy on another forum claims that the lower setting works well for track/street, with just enough noise reduction to remove the wind noise. Maybe santa will bring them. And if they don't work I can use them for flying/travel.