Ohio red light law change

Strictly Street

On 12/28/2016 at 9:46 AM, Isaac's Papa said:

Our city doesn't switch to flashing intersections at night and it's maddening. Sitting at a light at 2:00 am is absolutely ignorant. Meanwhile, I have to drive to the E-Check facility and show them my car doesn't have a light illuminated on the dash, because "Save The Planet".  

Move one county east and you probably wouldn't have to do that 

On 12/29/2016 at 10:05 AM, Tonik said:

Found the bill.  If you click on 'As Enrolled' that will be the version the governor signed.

https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legislation/legislation-documents?id=GA131-HB-154

Great find Tonik.

The local TV news wasn't real strong on references. I knew it had been out there before but never had anybody said it had actually passed. 

The important part:

Sec. 4511.132. (A) The driver of a vehicle, streetcar, or trackless trolley who approaches an intersection where traffic is controlled by traffic control signals shall do all of the following, if the signal facing the driver either exhibits no colored lights or colored lighted arrows or , exhibits a combination of such lights or arrows that fails to clearly indicate the assignment of right-of-way, or the signals are otherwise malfunctioning, including the failure of a vehicle detector to detect the vehicle:

Great find!

Ugh, is this really a problem? I have been riding aluminum sport bikes for years and almost never have a case where the light won't change. At least in in my part of the woods in Medina county. I know back where I grew up, about 10 years ago there was one light, at night that wouldn't change for me, I did run it once, it was like 3am. 

2 hours ago, flashesbuck said:

Ugh, is this really a problem? I have been riding aluminum sport bikes for years and almost never have a case where the light won't change. At least in in my part of the woods in Medina county. I know back where I grew up, about 10 years ago there was one light, at night that wouldn't change for me, I did run it once, it was like 3am. 

Generally, this isn't an issue for me because I am a big pussy and don't ride much at night when traffic dies down.  

5 hours ago, flashesbuck said:

Yep, happens to me at two different locations on my regular commute, despite reporting the problem.  

8 hours ago, PhilD'oh! said:

Yep, happens to me at two different locations on my regular commute, despite reporting the problem.  

Bottom left of the page below. The ones I have reported to  ODOT have been fixed in a couple of weeks. They give the local municipality a kick in the add it seems.

https://www.dot.state.oh.us/Divisions/Operations/Traffic/Pages/OTEHomePage.aspx

• Upvote 1

For some reason I thought this was already addressed on the BMV website 

you had to wait an absurd amount of time - like 3 light cycles, but there has always been a provision to address malfunctioning traffic lights, whether it was for a motorcycle or not.  

The intersection of pleasant valley and 21 (which tons of bikes hit on their way to QSL) wouldn't change for me many times. I used to work at the office building on the southeast corner of that intersection, so I rode there daily for a couple of years. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a couple lights fail to change for me in Dublin.  After two full cycles where I don't get a green, or after 5 minutes of not changing I will treat it as a stop sign.  I always then email the city and they have fixed a couple intersections and mailed me back to confirm.  They have been great about responding within a day or two.

I believe the law doesn't change anything - it just more clearly states that "failure to cycle" directly in the statute so you don't have to convince anyone that "failure to cycle" counts as "otherwise malfunctioning"