Death of spark plugs?

motocat12

I had this technology on my old 67 pontiac 326...

I let it overheat one night on my way home, backed it up the driveway, shut off the ignition, and it continued to run.

Dropped it into gear, it chugged and continued to run. Back to park, popped the hood and removed the air cleaner, attempted to suffocate the carburetor, but couldn't manage to block all 4 barrels with my hands, and the engine was glowing red as it continued it's endless chugging. Finally I panicked and grabbed the garden hose. As I sprayed the iron block, the chugging finally stopped and was replaced with hissing water and metal pinging.

I dropped a new engine in that car the next weekend.

1 minute ago, magley64 said:

I had this technology on my old 67 pontiac 326...

I let it overheat one night on my way home, backed it up the driveway, shut off the ignition, and it continued to run.

Dropped it into gear, it chugged and continued to run. Back to park, popped the hood and removed the air cleaner, attempted to suffocate the carburetor, but couldn't manage to block all 4 barrels with my hands, and the engine was glowing red as it continued it's endless chugging. Finally I panicked and grabbed the garden hose. As I sprayed the iron block, the chugging finally stopped and was replaced with hissing water and metal pinging.

I dropped a new engine in that car the next weekend.

I'd guess EFI would stop that from ever happening these days. 

2 hours ago, Qman said:

Interesting,  I wonder how they control ignition timing!?

If I understand the concept, it's going to auto ignite when the pressure of the fuel/air mixture is sufficient to bring it to autoignition temperature... Much like a diesel.

3 hours ago, Qman said:

Interesting,  I wonder how they control ignition timing!?

You control ignition timing by controlling the fuel injection timing. I would assume it's going to be a direct injection engine so you would just need to increase or decrease the timing of the fuel injector and you can advance or retard when it lights off.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, zx3vfr said:

How do you control ignition timing on a diesel?

Pretty sure you cant....but i think they DO control it as mentioned above..with controlled direct injection..  I read where in some of the newer diesels, there are actually multiple injections so that it is staggered during the combustion process,  so they control the burn this way.

14 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

With a chain. 

I'm thinking the chain only controls the valve timing.  Or, some other engines, like in the older VFRs, use gears, and others use belts.  From what I understand, most of the MotoGP bikes use pneumatics to control the valves...as they do in F1 cars.

25 minutes ago, Qman said:

Pretty sure you cant....but i think they DO control it as mentioned above..with controlled direct injection..  I read where in some of the newer diesels, there are actually multiple injections so that it is staggered during the combustion process,  so they control the burn this way.

Electronics. Fuel goes through electrical fuel pump to a high pressure fuel pump mounted to either an additional gear mounted on the cam or the flywheel/flexplate. That fuel then goes to electronically operated fuel injectors. This isn't the 1940s any more toto. 

24 minutes ago, Qman said:

I'm thinking the chain only controls the valve timing.  Or, some other engines, like in the older VFRs, use gears, and others use belts.  From what I understand, most of the MotoGP bikes use pneumatics to control the valves...as they do in F1 cars.

Pneumatic valves are used to control the closing of the valves because it would take too long with a spring. It's still opened by a cam

2 hours ago, zx3vfr said:

Electronics. Fuel goes through electrical fuel pump to a high pressure fuel pump mounted to either an additional gear mounted on the cam or the flywheel/flexplate. That fuel then goes to electronically operated fuel injectors. This isn't the 1940s any more toto. 

Not sure what your point is.  My point is that the new injectors on direct-injection engines are pulsed multiple times during each combustion process, which better controls burn rate, fuel/air distribution, knocking, emissions, etc.

37 minutes ago, Qman said:

Not sure what your point is.  My point is that the new injectors on direct-injection engines are pulsed multiple times during each combustion process, which better controls burn rate, fuel/air distribution, knocking, emissions, etc.

My point is you wondered how ignition timing would be controlled.

Which the answer to your wonder is, the ECU would control fuel injectors as they do now :tard:

3 minutes ago, zx3vfr said:

My point is you wondered how ignition timing would be controlled.

Which the answer to your wonder is, the ECU would control fuel injectors as they do now :tard:

Understood, but right now there are very few gas engines with direct injection out there, so its a little different.  And i'm gonna go out on a limb and say that none of the current gasoline DI engines control ignition timing...they all have spark plugs.  But what do i know?