Looking to buy a guitar

imagineer

Question for the guitar players out there...   I’m finally pulling the trigger on my last bucket list item…learning to play guitar.    I’ve tried self-teaching several times over the years and failed/quit for one reason or another.       Along with having zero musical ability or experience, I’m also fatally left handed, so all the effort trying to learn with a right handed instrument was a total waste.

So, moving forward I just found out, there’s a well-respected (and reasonably priced) guitar instructor about 10 minutes equally from my house and office, and he’s available for hour long lessons mid-day during the week, i.e. lessons during lunch time.   This kills two birds; it doesn’t take evening or weekend time away from the wife/family/projects and also forces me to get out the office for a bit and break up my normal 10-12 hour work day.

So, it’s time to buy an axe…Obviously, I’m not going to run out and spend $1500 on a top of the line professional quality instrument but I’m also hoping to do better than a $100 Daisy Rock from Walmart.   In reviewing the readily available options, I’m leaning toward an Ibanez acoustic/electric thin-line, cut away style (it’s in the sweet spot of the budget and it looks snazzy).   https://www.amazon.com/Ibanez-AEG10LII-Cutaway-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar/dp/B00ESK5YX6/ref=s9_simh_gw_g267_i1_r?_encoding=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=7DC1ST9ZSVDYGY6DA4V9&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=a6aaf593-1ba4-4f4e-bdcc-0febe090b8ed&pf_rd_i=desktop

Is there any benefit, or detriment to going with a thin-line guitar versus a full body?

Look around, check eBay. I got a nice Martin electric/acoustic guitar for a song on eBay from an older lady who's son passed away. It's a $1500 guitar that I think I paid $250 for but this was 7 or 8 years ago. I also have a Jackson electric but it has a crack on the headstock where my strap came off when I was walking out of a friends house after jamming a little. I partially caught it but the headstock hit the ground :cerealguy2:

Be careful of the really cheap guitars. The necks warp in no time from the string tension and they won't stay in tune.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Wouldn't it be easier to just yell out to him from the kitchen?

:lol:  I was out back working in the garage, and just so you know....she was in the living room when I got back to the house.

4 hours ago, imagineer said:

Question for the guitar players out there...   I’m finally pulling the trigger on my last bucket list item…learning to play guitar.    I’ve tried self-teaching several times over the years and failed/quit for one reason or another.       Along with having zero musical ability or experience, I’m also fatally left handed, so all the effort trying to learn with a right handed instrument was a total waste.

So, moving forward I just found out, there’s a well-respected (and reasonably priced) guitar instructor about 10 minutes equally from my house and office, and he’s available for hour long lessons mid-day during the week, i.e. lessons during lunch time.   This kills two birds; it doesn’t take evening or weekend time away from the wife/family/projects and also forces me to get out the office for a bit and break up my normal 10-12 hour work day.

So, it’s time to buy an axe…Obviously, I’m not going to run out and spend $1500 on a top of the line professional quality instrument but I’m also hoping to do better than a $100 Daisy Rock from Walmart.   In reviewing the readily available options, I’m leaning toward an Ibanez acoustic/electric thin-line, cut away style (it’s in the sweet spot of the budget and it looks snazzy).   https://www.amazon.com/Ibanez-AEG10LII-Cutaway-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar/dp/B00ESK5YX6/ref=s9_simh_gw_g267_i1_r?_encoding=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=7DC1ST9ZSVDYGY6DA4V9&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=a6aaf593-1ba4-4f4e-bdcc-0febe090b8ed&pf_rd_i=desktop

Is there any benefit, or detriment to going with a thin-line guitar versus a full body?

Here's my 2 cents...

The one you're eyeballing is a sound choice to learn on.  Quality enough to last a long time, but doesn't break the bank.  Ibanez are good equipment around that price point and higher.  Played several of their acoustics, but I dont own any.

Like motocat said, a dreadnaught ( full bodied acoustic ) will give you a much fuller tone "dry" ( without an amp backing it up ) compared to the thin body, BUT if you plan to use an amp...the size of the body doesnt really matter quite as much.  There are benefits to both types.  Example, I have a Washburn thinbody folk acoustic/electric that plays awesome, but feel I have to pound on it when playing dry.  Thinner body = weaker overall projected tone since the resonance isn't as pronounced from the smaller cavity, but most I've seen are acoustic/electric and made to be amplified.  I also have an Alvarez dreadnaught cutaway that sounds amazing dry, or plugged in.  Twice as deep as the Washburn, and sounds twice as good playing dry.  I personally dont like the roundbacks.   To me, they're not comfortable when playing seated and harder to hold without the squared sides to rest on a knee, so I feel I'm stuck standing when playing those.  

The thinner guitars are less cumbersome for beginners, but there's no reason you couldn't adapt to the bigger guitar right off the bat since you're starting fresh, so no pesky muscle memory screwing with your mojo.   The choice is yours, but I gotta say it is nice to be able to just grab up the dreadnaught and sound good without having to drag out an amp when the mood strikes.

Edited by Hellmutt
  • Upvote 1

I agree with @Hellmutt on all of his points. I've had too many guitars to even name all of them, from a cheap Peavey Predator to a Paul Reed Smith Standard 22. 

One thing to consider trying is going to a local music store and actually hold a few. I don't know if you've small slender hands or big gorilla mitts, but the way the neck feels will make a big impact. Think of it as trying on a helmet. Just because my head says nothing beats a Suomy, yours may be more of an Arai or Shoei. Ibanez necks, in my experience, have usually had a thinner profile, or a slimmer/"flat" feel to them. While ones like my Fender acoustic have a rounded or C-shape neck. When I played bass for awhile, my Warwick had one that felt like a baseball bat. Huge and round, but it was an unfinished neck, that I adore. 

Also, a plus for going to an electric first, is you can find a decent Squire pack that has everything for aroun 199. Electric strings are both cheaper and a smaller gauge that acoustic strings. They tend to not make your fingertips feel like you've been sliding them up and down a razor blade for a long time. But, again, if you've already got callused hands it won't make a difference. 

Ibanez makes a solid entry level guitar. I used to play shows and record on a slightly above entry level Ibanez bass. Good action, good tone. Take it to a good guitar tech and have them set the action and intonation for you, it will make a difference.