hiro

3 hours ago, Qman said:

When you take it to the track, you run simply distilled water, and maybe redline water wetter.  So ....?

No corrosion protection with just plain water. Then again, no additives that might cause harm in other ways.

4 hours ago, hiro said:

No corrosion protection with just plain water. Then again, no additives that might cause harm in other ways.

I belive that is all they permit on the track due to not wanting chemicals to clean up if they are to spill.

12 hours ago, PhilD'oh! said:

Wow, you guys would over-think how to breathe.

Says the guy that just took his whole damn bike apart. He needs to flush it, in another thread there are pics of some really funky stuff in his coolant tank. He needs to do it right this time in case any of that crap got sucked in.

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

Says the guy that just took his whole damn bike apart. He needs to flush it, in another thread there are pics of some really funky stuff in his coolant tank. He needs to do it right this time in case any of that crap got sucked in.

Yes---but what would be best--White,Apple Cider or Balsamic Vinegar?? Can't wait for the chain lube issue. 

23 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Straight water is a bad idea as there are no lubricating qualities for the pump. The track certainly doesn't require this. It requires a specific coolant, or water and lubricant, but not straight water. 

7 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

I put in distilled water and water wetter over the past weekend in the track bike.

Edit: Just in time for near freezing temps towards the end of this week :nono:

If you're a cool enough dude, you don't need any coolant for the bike. 

Right Pauly?

• Upvote 1

Flush with distilled water and refill with a non silicate coolant 50/50.  If you do not pay attention to the no silicate part you will be changing a water pump.

use bike specific or Prestone 150000 mile with blue cap and you will be fine. The other brands listed may not give good results... have seen many mistakes.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Al Z. Heimer said:

Yes---but what would be best--White,Apple Cider or Balsamic Vinegar?? Can't wait for the chain lube issue. 

I just used some store-brand vinegar that my wife bought to get some cat pee odour out of the carpet. Might also try it as a weed killer. Oh, white vinegar is correct. haha

For the chain I just use Honda something that I got at a local bike shop.

Ultimately, I think the logic of using something like standard Peak Long Life is good. It's silicate-free and seems widely available and claims compatibility with other coolants. I think it's also phosphate-free, but phosphate can be beneficial. The "Asian" stuff has phosphate.

BTW, Engine Ice contains propylene glycol which sounds good to me.

6 hours ago, hiro said:

BTW, Engine Ice contains propylene glycol which sounds good to me.

Propylene does not cool as well (higher specific heat) and is more viscous (harder to pump).  There will be many here to argue, they will be wrong.

Stick with the non silicate shelf brands and you will be fine.

28 minutes ago, motocat12 said:

My Propylene  shirts cool fantasticly.

Do I need to replace my water pump with a coolant pump when I switch?

No, but you need a vinegar enema before you switch.

14 hours ago, whaler said:

Propylene does not cool as well (higher specific heat) and is more viscous (harder to pump).  There will be many here to argue, they will be wrong.

Stick with the non silicate shelf brands and you will be fine.

Think ive more or less said this a few times and he just keeps over thinking it.

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Al Z. Heimer said:

K61081004A-130758783860675693.jpg

What is wrong with this stuff. From what I see it does not even hold 2 quarts. Geez. 

Nothing wrong with it,  just for the same price he could get enough to do it 2 or 3 times. 

1 minute ago, 2talltim said:

Nothing wrong with it,  just for the same price he could get enough to do it 2 or 3 times. 

So by the third time he does it...it will be 6 years old. At least.

Just now, Tonik said:

So by the third time he does it...it will be 6 years old. At least.

True, but as dirty as his overflow tank was in the other thread I would probably do it a second time this season alone but that's just me

The original purpose of this thread was to ask if there is any reason to NOT use the pink (I said red before) "Asian" coolant. I guess the answer is no. It's ethylene glycol without silicate and it isn't hard to find. I'd rather spend more time up front and save trouble later. Simple enough and done. Learned a bunch of little things along the way.

22 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

When in doubt, buy the shit with the Kawasaki logo on the bottle. It's what your manual recommends. 

For coolant I see "Permanent type of antifreeze," "Soft water 50%, Coolant 50%," and "green." Oil shows "API SG, SH, SJ, SL or SM with JASO MA, MA1 or MA2" and "SAE 10W-40." Somewhere it probably does say to always use Kawasaki products though. haha

I wonder if alternative products would void the extended warranty that came with the bike.

Edited by hiro