Gas Guage Issue

Sully

I have an issue w/ the gas guage on my car and I'm not quite sure where to begin troubleshooting this problem. It's an 88 chevy nova, SOHC, 5 spd.

When I start the car, the gas needle sits all the way at the bottom, below Empty, but the low fuel warning light is not on (which I know works), and there is at least 3/4 of a tank of gas in the car. After I start driving, the gas needle will start to come up and then will float all over the place. It will constantly float from 3/4 all the way down to below empty then back up, etc. When the gas tank is truely low on gas, then low fuel warning light will come on.

Anybody know what is causing this? How do I fix it?

Thanks,

Mike

The low level light and the gauges is seperate so even though your gauge is not working right the light will still be good, vise versa.

As for the bouncing... I'm not sure. I've only had expirence with it not working before. You'll have to pull the fule pump assembly out of the tank to inspect the float assembly attached. My guess is that you'll have to replace it.

Funny thing, I posted this from work, drove home and the gas needle worked flawlessly, then the wife and I went out to dinner, which was about a 30 minute drive, and the needle worked flawlessly. Drove back home and all was still fine. Weird.

I was thinking that it could be the float assembly, but wanted to see if anyone else had any other ideas.

Originally posted by StreetRacer434:

ground problem on the sending unit

+1

The float in the tank won't intermittently work and then not work. It's probably working fine. The electrical connections to the sending unit on the tank are bad. Needs to be cleaned/rewired.