1990 honda crx What engine to put in it

Guest extremedreamsjh

Guest extremedreamsjh

i got a 1990 honda crx what engine is the best to putin it for the money. i am wanting to do a engine swap but dont know what one . some one told me a B16a1 is the best for it but thats why i am asking you guys i know some of you will help me out.. IF you guys say its a B16a1 or what ever could u tell me how much money they run or what not where the best place to get thim and if you could tell me the serieal number on the engines so i know when i do buy it thats what it is

thanks for ur help columbus racing

I had a CRX with a b16a2 in it and it skooted along quite nicely. I bought the car already swapped so I couldn't tell you how the install went, but it was definitely nice. I'm pretty sure you can pick up a b16(a1 or a2) for under $1600 from an internet motor company... I'll check around some sites and see what I can find. Also, try asking this same question on OhioHondas.com and Honda-Tech.com They're the hondas gurus around here.

Well since noone else said a hybrid.... A hyrbid. Im an all motor fan so naturaly im a fan of the LS/Vtec. There are many variations of the hybrids but the best IMO is the B20/Vtec, B20/B16A. Its a nice combination, and makes pretty decent torque. Thats what you need to look for. Torque output. Itll give you traction problems, but at least you wont be playing catchup to the neighborhood 99-00 Si bully smile.gif

Originally posted by Ricochet:

Ever build one? It's not a very reliable setup, and in the end he'll only see about 155whp. Also for a beginner (which I assume this guy is) the only option would be to pay somebody to build that and it's not cheap!

Not alone. I helped out with one about a year ago. Made some NICE power. It was a high octane engine... 12.4:1 i think was what it ended up being. It pulled over 220whp on a dynojet so i always thought them to be a nice package for a drag car. If its a daily driver though, i wouldnt recommend it... i agree.

Reliability = graemlins/jerkit.gif

We always used to say, "If your not breaking parts, your not making enough power."

Guest extremedreamsjh
thanks alot everyone oyu guys have help me narrow it down. now i gfot like 4 different choices lol. I want the car to be fast as hell oin a quarter mile. it ant my every day driven car but when i get it done i do want to be able to drive it around a little bit

extreme, are you going turbo? If so, get a B18B (LS) engine and boost the holy christ out of her. They only have 139hp/~128tq, but since they don't have vtec their compression is low and the gears are a lot taller so you'll be in boost longer than the dohc vtecs. Here's a video of an older hatch (which is still heavier than your car!) with a turbo LS setup racing a built Viper:

http://cheesefrog.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=1

Bad example using cheesefrog. That car is what you call a "sucker-fucker". Its got more garage engineering and tuning in it than most cars have coming from the factory.

You could shell out a CRX and have an extremely light car. Now the nice thing about that is that you dont need much power for it to be quick. You could run 15in of pressure through a T3 super60 and still make 230-250bhp... enough for some 13 sec or better ETs.

Originally posted by Harris92:

ls turbo. Lower compression ratio,(good for boosting) and lots of potential. Just my .02$

lower compression dosent alaways mean better ;)

As for turboing your honda, build your motor, it will save things in the long run.

Be differnt put a small block in it.

Guest extremedreamsjh
wow thats a tight pic.. is it a drag car or a pulling toy. you know what i mean when u hook up to a slead and pull it.. if its a drag car have u had it out and what did it run.. i bet it took alot of work doing that what all did u have to cut up lol

Those pics are as old as the internet. It's not his car.

As far as engines, I'd go for either the ZC or B16A for ease of swap and to keep the same weight distribution, then slap a turbo on it. A member here used to have a turboed ZC CRX. I think he put down 189whp. Not sure if that was race gas or not. Maybe he'll read this thread and post.

Guest extremedreamsjh

is a b16 and a b16a1 the same thing.. alot of people say a b16 are they the same thing. how much they run. the zc how much do they run and what kind of car did they come out in or if someone got one for sale let me know

thanks

B16A1 B16A2 B16A3 are all pretty much the same... they have suttle differences but more or less the same.

The B16A2's are from the 99-00 Civic Si. The B16A3's are from highend Del Sol's. The B16A1 i THINK came from old civic HB's... but im not for sure.

Out of all of them, the B16A1 has the best head. Its more or less a B18C5 casting. If you P&P, mill it .040, and put in bigger valves... it is basicaly a ITR head.

For the blocks id assume the B16A2 was the best but im not for sure. I havent played with too many B16's so my knowledge is limited.

Guest mudbutt
you can still do it cheap. As much as I hate to admit it(I work at a place that builds kits www.forcedfab.com) the ssautocrap manifolds are getting better at not falling apart. They still require a lot of grinding to make acceptable, but when you want a $150 manifold you take what you can get. Or you can come to us for a log style that WONT crack or send chunks of metal through the turbine for a bit more. You can pick up a used t3/t4 50 trim in the $2-300 range, sometimes less if you look and new ones running under 600. like nissan, there are a plethora of wonderful free honda rom editors, uberdata being the one Ive used with success in the past. As far as an intercooler goes, the yard or internet if you are lazy is your friend. A 1g sidemount or starion/conquest front mount will fit the bill for a sub 300whp car. We can assemble a kit installed for sometimes less than just a name brand kit out of the box.

i hate cheap stuff. I like custom everything. Ive got some designs for manifolds i need for my race engine... can you guys build from basic plans?

The intake mani has to be made from square/rectangular (round edge) aluminum tubing. Exhaust can be from SS.

Guest extremedreamsjh

Civic SI-R B16A 88-91 - Engine Swap Package (JAS-B16A1-A)

would this be a good engine for a crx and will it fit and could this engine with some mods run 12s

new at this guys dont laff at me lol

For 12's you'd need a boosted dohc engine.

graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

Ill agree wut you on more cases than not, but if guys are into the 10s NA, im sure that a street builder could figure how to squeez a 12.999

It would take a hell of a driver, that im sure of.