wiper problems w/ 91 Mustang..

SamZman

My windshield wipers have been acting up on my 91 Mustang GT. First they just work periodically, then hardly at all...then REALLY slow.. I noticed in the past that my headlights wouldnt work unless I flashed my brights on and off.. so I thought I'd replaced the turn signal lever. Well my headlights work fine but the wiper problem is still there. When changing the switch out I noticed the wiring harness for the wipers that plugged into the turn signal lever looked a little fried. I dont even know if this is replacable.. It seemed to connect fine and the wipers still work periodically but slower and slower..

This sound like a wiper motor? I've been trying to find out if this is common, but I'm guessing not.. the wiper motor is 80 bucks so I dont wanna just try it out.. I'm gonna try to test the motor this weekend and take another look at the harness.. just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions before I start w/ it again..

Thanks..

The switch just does on and off so if it's getting slower and slower it's most likely the motor or the power supply. You can try taking a multimeter to where the motor is getting power and find out how much power it is getting. Then check with a manual or some online source on how much voltage it should be getting.

Even though it's 80 bucks, you can return it if that's not the problem. They ususally give you a time frame where you can return items.

Thanks for all the input guys. graemlins/thumb.gif .. I ended up just putting a motor in , and sure enough that was the problem. Only reason I didnt just do that when it first happened was the other problems fooled me into thinkin it was somethin else... and Auto Zone said they wouldnt take it back once it was installed..

Anyways. All is good. smile.gif

Thanks again everyone.