No brakes off the back straight? Don't be skeered...

Moto-Brian

Well Drew you already got the Punt. Your on 1st and 10 once off the DL.

I got sacked and put on the DL.

How you feeling man.. Surgery on the 16th or 18th right

? That sucks. Want me to ride that 1K of yours so she doesnt just sit. :);)

• 1 year later...
So what ever happened with the company and these pads? Can u tell us what pads they were now, and what the company did for u? I'm in the market for new pads. My Galfers are on the fritz

Galfers will be fine. And there was a batch issue so, it should be handled now. No need to know what pads they were as they have checked it and hopefully will not happen again.

Galfers will be fine. And there was a batch issue so, it should be handled now. No need to know what pads they were as they have checked it and hopefully will not happen again.

I'm just curious bc I'm thinking about upgrading to the vesra's because my galfer(street/track) pads keep getting hot and fading by the end of the 15 min! Is it worth the price for the vesra compared to the price/performance of the galfer?

I'm just curious bc I'm thinking about upgrading to the vesra's because my galfer(street/track) pads keep getting hot and fading by the end of the 15 min! Is it worth the price for the vesra compared to the price/performance of the galfer?

Is it fading on your ZX10? The reason I ask, is because it's most likely not the pads.

odd that its fading after 15 minutes, i would have to agree something else might be amiss before you go replacing pads.

either way im going to try out the rjl's from kurveygirl.com as she has the best customer service aside from stg that i have ever dealt with. plus she includes the sanding block needed to prep the rotors by switching different brands, not many place do that.

Vesrah RJL's for sure. All i've ever ran and the top guys run those or the SRJL's for the super bite. I believe the one's that brian was using were the SBS pads... but like he said it was a bad batch. Robby Jensen had the same issues with them. Get the vesrahs and some Spiegler brake lines and real nice fluid. I run the Castrol SRF fluid

If it's the ZX10, it's not the pads. I went through the exact same experience on my 06 (same bike).

I replaced the MC and the calipers with a ZX14 setup. Straight bolt on. i also slapped on some Galfer pads and some stainless steel lines. My brake fade was gone....never to return.

I remember reading on one of the Kaw forums that there was a notice overseas about the MC being the culprit. It could just as easily be the stock brake lines, if you haven't upgraded by now. Regardless, I'm pretty confident you will find that the fade will be fixed by one (or all) of these upgrades.

The ZX14 caliper/MC swap was the best mod I did to my bike...hands down.

Vesrahs are by far the best you can get.

Oh, and Inyazz, it could be the pad causing fade...

Vesrah RJL's for sure. All i've ever ran and the top guys run those or the SRJL's for the super bite. I believe the one's that brian was using were the SBS pads... but like he said it was a bad batch. Robby Jensen had the same issues with them. Get the vesrahs and some Spiegler brake lines and real nice fluid. I run the Castrol SRF fluid

It wasn't SBS pads but, it was what Jensen runs. Even still...

Oh, and Inyazz, it could be the pad causing fade...

Absolutely. BUT that generation of ZX10 has a issue with brakes fading with *any* pad. Not only my history, but the Kaw forums had people reporting the same experience.

You're absolutely right..it *could* be the pads, but knowing that bike, I'd be surprised if it was.

Is it fading on your ZX10? The reason I ask, is because it's most likely not the pads.

Ya it's the 10. I bought the whole GALFER kit that come with the steel lines, and street/track pads. I put them on last Sept, and used the Castrol fluid(DOT5+ synthetic like $15 for a little bottle).. Run an LED at Mid-Ohio, and a 2 day at Putnum. Both days they faded bad, I mean mean lever pulled in to my fingers.

They were bled with a power bleeder, and I've bled them since as well..

The fluid is still Clear, and doesn't look dirty at all..

I always have the lever set at setting "1"...

Was this a 1st Gen prob with the Calipers, or 2nd Gen?

How much did you drop on those 14 Calipers? Are there relatively cheap aftermarket Calipers(I'm assuming not)?

They seem to be fine on the street, except for the 3 Hocking Hills rides this year, and the 536 ride.. Thank god for downshifting!

I'm gonna try using a fine sandpaper this sunday and getting the glaze(if any) off, and if that doesn't work, time to spend money I don't have!

Ya it's the 10. I bought the whole GALFER kit that come with the steel lines, and street/track pads. I put them on last Sept, and used the Castrol fluid(DOT5+ synthetic like $15 for a little bottle).. Run an LED at Mid-Ohio, and a 2 day at Putnum. Both days they faded bad, I mean mean lever pulled in to my fingers.

They were bled with a power bleeder, and I've bled them since as well..

The fluid is still Clear, and doesn't look dirty at all..

I always have the lever set at setting "1"...

Was this a 1st Gen prob with the Calipers, or 2nd Gen?

How much did you drop on those 14 Calipers? Are there relatively cheap aftermarket Calipers(I'm assuming not)?

They seem to be fine on the street, except for the 3 Hocking Hills rides this year, and the 536 ride.. Thank god for downshifting!

I'm gonna try using a fine sandpaper this sunday and getting the glaze(if any) off, and if that doesn't work, time to spend money I don't have!

I had the same symptoms with the stock pads and set up. You could easily bring the brake lever back to your palm after a while.

I remember reading ..somewhere...that it might be the fault of the master cylinder. I replaced both the MC and calipers from a 14 and one of those two fixed it.

I found the set up on ebay. I don't remember the price...they used to be cheap before the demand shot up because of 10 owners grabbing them whenever they could.

I do believe the ZX6 setup is another good replacement. Same Nissin caliper I believe? It's a direct bolt on.

The 06/07 is notorious for brake fade. You won't notice it on the street unless you are hitting the back roads hard (which is where I first noticed it). They fixed the brakes in 08, thank god.

Check kawforums.com or zxforums.com or zx-10r.net. You'll find an ass load of people trying to swap out the stock setup.

My only advice would be to do both the MC *and* the calipers.

Good luck.

I had the same symptoms with the stock pads and set up. You could easily bring the brake lever back to your palm after a while.

I remember reading ..somewhere...that it might be the fault of the master cylinder. I replaced both the MC and calipers from a 14 and one of those two fixed it.

I found the set up on ebay. I don't remember the price...they used to be cheap before the demand shot up because of 10 owners grabbing them whenever they could.

I do believe the ZX6 setup is another good replacement. Same Nissin caliper I believe? It's a direct bolt on.

The 06/07 is notorious for brake fade. You won't notice it on the street unless you are hitting the back roads hard (which is where I first noticed it). They fixed the brakes in 08, thank god.

Check kawforums.com or zxforums.com or zx-10r.net. You'll find an ass load of people trying to swap out the stock setup.

My only advice would be to do both the MC *and* the calipers.

Good luck.

Thanks yo

It wasn't SBS pads but, it was what Jensen runs. Even still...

Carbbone Lorraine? or however it's spelled? That was my first thought but then SBS popped into my head. I'm a vesrah junkie as you know. You gonna be at mid-o AMA weekend? I'm working as a Tire Official for the weekend

Carbbone Lorraine? or however it's spelled? That was my first thought but then SBS popped into my head. I'm a vesrah junkie as you know. You gonna be at mid-o AMA weekend? I'm working as a Tire Official for the weekend

Might be there... I'm kind of over the whole watching the racing and stuff... Probably do some mountain biking and take a break. We'll be doing the STT for a solid week surrounding that race so, watching after being there all week is something that doesn't have much interest for me.

Might come up at around 1-2pm each day just to watch the races, though...

Might be there... I'm kind of over the whole watching the racing and stuff... Probably do some mountain biking and take a break. We'll be doing the STT for a solid week surrounding that race so, watching after being there all week is something that doesn't have much interest for me.

Might come up at around 1-2pm each day just to watch the races, though...

yea, i was plannin on comin up and kickin it for some STT days and park the RV. luckily I only work 8-11am on racedays