BMW Question

grease monkey

Guest powers

there was a lack of proper design. They did not know how how the stresses whould be on the rods. Many have grenaded not only at high speed but upon normal driving conditions as well. If you buy one this is a must have recall. They are upgrading the rods and bearings to help prevent this from happening.

They could snap today or 3 years from now.

well that car was taken in for an intermittent no start problem, dealer called my neighbor and said they are going to replace the starter, ( ok that makes sence...) and were going to replace the connecting rods and berings.(WTF IS WRONG WITH THAT DAMN CAR!!!!) service writter did not clarify why the rods and berings were in need of replacement, my neighbor assumed that it was part of the no start issue, i personally have a really hard time seeing that espically since i'm a technician my self. so thanks for info guys.

Well are they replacing them on BMW's bill or are they asking her to pay for it?

If they are paying for it, yes they should have told her why, but shouldn't she have also asked them why if they didn't state it? :confused:

Obviously if they are asking for any money from her pertaining to the con-rod/bearing replacement it's time for a letter to BMW's American offices.

if you call kelly bmw, they will set you up with a time to bring your car in, make sure then you call they have a loaner car for you, if you don't ask 90% of the time they wouldn't assume that you need or want one...by the way the loaner car are free if you don't go over the milage.

The M3 recall was just on '01 early production cars. The problem was corrected and should only be an issue on a certain production date cars.

There is currently a recal on X5's of some sort...something wrong with the DME that could cause the car to just die randomly when driving down the road!!!

Andy

well, the car is at kelly, and it is all on BMW's tab, neighbor ain't paying fo shit. yes, could have gotten a rental, but saturn needed a driver, it's got to be kinda hard to go from a 2004 BMW M3 to a 1994 saturn SC1. but none the less car should be fixed and ready to go soon, by the way have any of you heard of any complaints with the SMG transmission about bucking in first gear?? it almost feels like the car is un-sure about the clutch engagement...