SCCA ProRally and ClubRally gone; WRC gutted

Guest jpurdy2003

Guest jpurdy2003

http://www.scca.com/News/News.asp?Ref=178

TOPEKA, Kan. (Oct. 5, 2004) – Sports Car Club of America’s Board of Directors voted Monday to discontinue the sanction of its current stage-based rally format, including the ProRally and ClubRally Championships, beginning January 1, 2005 due to increasing risk exposure.

“This was a difficult and unfortunate decision to make,” SCCA Board of Directors Chairman Gary Pitts said. “However, from an insurance standpoint, the stage rally format has gotten to the point where it puts the entire Club, its activities and entities under an undue risk.”

“We have many SCCA members whose interests lie in rally,” SCCA President and CEO Steve Johnson said. “It is my intent to allow these members the opportunity to rally in the future and continue to access the sport. I am confident we can accomplish this task.

“We are in negotiations to transition SCCA’s elements of the stage-based rally activity to Rally America, a longtime partner and participant in the sport of rally.”

Unaffected by the decision are SCCA’s RallyCross and RoadRally programs.

SCCA began its special stage-format ProRally Championship in 1973. Since then, the ProRally Championship Presented by Hot Wheels has been regarded as the top domestic rally series. The 2004 Championship has one round remaining, Lake Superior ProRally (LSPR), which will run as scheduled Oct. 22 in Houghton, Mich.

In other news, WRC cars will be as homogenous as NASCAR

I understand the idea of getting rid of turbos, all of the electronics, etc. in WRC to save on cost. But why such a small displacement limit?? That really isn't saving on the cost, and it's not going to allow the new cars to make nearly the power of the old cars.

wow the FIA is going to ruin wrc just like they are going to ruin f1. NA 2 litres? That doesn't sound like fun to watch. The teams will spend more money trying to get the same power out of that engine as they did on the turbo one. Or they will just be slow and boring.

wow, i wonder if NASA will be willing to create a ProRally series? If not then will it survive at all?

that suck's to hear about WRC. i loved watching those car's but i think they could still go with a turbo charged 2.0 engine and cut cost's other way's. 2.0 N/A sound's like no fun.

Simple rule to make the sport survive: Rally cars must be road legal functioning cars, and they must sell "x"-hundred identical production examples. i.e. Group B from days of old. That is what made legends out of the early Saabs and 911s, Fulvia, Stratos, 037, RS-200, R5, etc. The production car versions of these were in fact the same thing as the race cars, only with minor alterations/modifications. Having to sell a certain number of cars per year to the public will drastically cut down on what they spend on them!

Oh well. Looks like motorsports all around us are being regulated into obscurity.

NASA has a rallye program. the SCCA program will more than likely continue under a different organizer. rallye is far from dead in the US...

WRC cars run engine restrictors anyways. even with the turbos, they only make ~300 hp. there isn't going to be some massive drop in power. regardless, it's the suspension/tires/4WD systems that make them fast, not a high hp engine...

the cost of building a WRC car has skyrocketed in recent years. unless they do something NOW to curb costs, the manufacturers will pull out, and WRC will die...

sheesh...

And to think that such a "hobby" as drifting get's more coverage, more sponsor dollar's, and more fan's than a real motor sport as rallying just make's me sick.

i was unaware that there were more than one PROrally series in america, at least the driver's and there sponsor's will be able to continue elsewhere.

Originally posted by Maro:

graemlins/bsflag.gif

Insurance risk ruins yet another of my pastimes.... :rolleyes:

Can Am

Targa Florio

Mille Miglia (the real one ala 1921-1957)

SCCA Pro Rally

Spoiled

Children

Crashing

Automobiles

Thus I can see the insurance risk. tongue.gif

Rally is literly the oldest form or motor racing on the planet. If you consider races held on public roads to be rallies, it hs been around for at least 3 millenia.

These days we see the last few remining examples of real, true racing being pushed aside, ascimilated, or ultimately starved into oblivion. In lew of what? Bright, flashy, entertaining bastardized versions of pro wresting and soap operas on wheels. Max Mosely is the FIA's Tony George. He's even pointing Formula On int he direction of the IRL. ITS SUPPOSED TO BE THE PINNACLE OF MOTORSPORT, YOU DO NOT SLOW THE CARS DOWN! How the hell is "one engine per every 2 races" going to make things more competitive?