supra owners or wanting to be

ridenred27

go to ebay motors, to parts and assy, to parts cars and type in toyota there is a white 89 toy supra auto w/turbo in cinci need some body damage fixed and a head gasket but he only wants 750.00 for the car and it has a clear title. thought i would pass it along since i dont have the cash for another project.

Guest infamous me 235
Originally posted by Mud Butt:

If you are being serious, your ignorance baffles me.

I sure hope so.

Originally posted by Doug:

autos suck

Wanna race my auto?

If you are being serious, your ignorance baffles me.

Yeah that why none of the big hp MKIII are auto and everyone who is going to make big hp converts to manuel. The automatic transmission in the mkIII blows and very few people will argue that. Some people like to do other things then go fast in a straight line. Can't road race very well with an auto.

hmm not one auto http://www.7mpower.com/members.shtml

Autos fine if you want to stay BPU, but thats not fun.

auto + level 10 = weeeee

Wow, MKIII guys trust Level 10? The MKIV crowd ran away from those clowns somewhere around the time that SP and Powerhouse sued them.

If your venue is street car-type drag racing, and the auto you're talking about is a GM 400, powerglide, or 200R4, then sure, autos are great (real NHRA domestic pro classes don't use autos, btw). Any other venue and I'd rather skip the power loss, weight, cooling issues and frailty of an auto.

Not sure if you guys have heard of Carl Rossler. He bulids powerglides for a lot of Top Sportsman guys. He went 6.70 with a powerglide. The dude is a genius when it comes to auto though. I do have to say that the majority of the fast guys run Lencos wich is a manual tranny. We have a 3 speed Lenco in our car with a Bruno unit and that turns the Lenco in to an auto for the most part. It is bullet proof though.

Guest mudbutt
Originally posted by Doug:

Yeah that why none of the big hp MKIII are auto and everyone who is going to make big hp converts to manuel. The automatic transmission in the mkIII blows and very few people will argue that. Some people like to do other things then go fast in a straight line. Can't road race very well with an auto.

hmm not one auto http://www.7mpower.com/members.shtml

Autos fine if you want to stay BPU, but thats not fun.

That is fine and all. I personally stayed away from autos myself. 7mpower is a good gathering of higher hp mk3...agreed, but it isnt them all. I know of a few 500+hp cars that arent on the site. Rupender and his 6xxwhp being one of them. Sure the stock auto starts to die at 400whp. Did jallen day he had a 400 hp car in mind? is your car 400 hp? Alright then. Not prefering an auto is one thing, but totally dismissing it is another. Back when Our cars were actually somewhat cool(~8-10 years ago), I recall a few cars running level 10 autos on power levels over 400.Ive been owning, reading about, and building MK3s since you were dreaming of a turbo grand am. I have a bit of an idea what they can and cant do with what parts. Is My car fast now....nope, just started it after rebuild about 20 minutes ago actually. Will it be; we'll see. That doesnt mean Im clueless....and for the road racing comment, Cant road race well with a 3800lbs car either. ;)

[ 24. April 2004, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: Mud Butt ]

That is fine and all. I personally stayed away from autos myself. 7mpower is a good gathering of higher hp mk3...agreed, but it isnt them all. I know of a few 500+hp cars that arent on the site. Rupender and his 6xxwhp being one of them. Sure the stock auto starts to die at 400whp. Did jallen day he had a 400 hp car in mind? is your car 400 hp? Alright then. Not prefering an auto is one thing, but totally dismissing it is another. Back when Our cars were actually somewhat cool(~8-10 years ago), I recall a few cars running level 10 autos on power levels over 400.Ive been owning, reading about, and building MK3s since you were dreaming of a turbo grand am. I have a bit of an idea what they can and cant do with what parts. Is My car fast now....nope, just started it after rebuild about 20 minutes ago actually. Will it be; we'll see. That doesnt mean Im clueless....and for the road racing comment, Cant road race well with a 3800lbs car either. ;)

No offense to you but in earlier threads you said our cars should run 60 psi of oil pressure. So I take anything you say with a grain of salt ;) THe stock auto doesn't begin to die at 400 whp. It gets destroyed at 400 whp.

Why haven't I seen your supra out yet? You have no idea what my car has and doens't have. Hell we don't even know if you even have a supra. NEver been out to a meet or anything.

Originally posted by harry's94tsi:

why did sp and powerhouse sue level 10?

Basically because they kept breaking well under the HP levels that L10 claimed, and when SP and PHR tore into them, discovered that the upgrades that were supposed to be there had not been done.

Boostlogic has since developed a build for the Toyota four speed auto that's survived 9's and 10's in 800hp cars.

I can vouche for Joel having an MKIII, in fact, he's who I bought the one that I have now off of. As for what is done to his car, I'll let him say if he wants.

As for the whole auto vs manual tranny. I could care less who's done what with this tranny or that one.

But I do know that a guy named Lance Wolken drove an MKIII into the 10's with a GM 350 auto tranny.

Here's a video of him running it. 10 second MKIII

Originally posted by Vash The Stampede:

I can vouche for Joel having an MKIII, in fact, he's who I bought the one that I have now off of. As for what is done to his car, I'll let him say if he wants.

As for the whole auto vs manual tranny. I could care less who's done what with this tranny or that one.

But I do know that a guy named Lance Wolken drove an MKIII into the 10's with a GM 350 auto tranny.

Here's a video of him running it. 10 second MKIII

I guess my sarcasm wasn't too obvious on the having a mkIII thing.

And I'm talking about the stock mkIII tranny. Not a GM tranny.

Guest mudbutt
Thanks for pulling up an old misquote. ;) IIRC I said I BELIEVE it is 60 I also said I wasnt sure(at that point I hadnt even seen the dash of a supra in about 4 months)I also said it was where the needle is level(40psi) Please find the thread. I am not afraid to be wrong. Im not going to get into cars Ive worked on, built, owned, etc because it is irrelavent. As for my car, well I have a limiting factor, it is called working 20 hours a week and going to school full time out of pocket.You havent seen it out because it has been a pile of parts in my garage. I have been to meets, just not in a supra. You will see me in "2 weeks" I will be in a gray whale with old ass bbs mesh 16s. I started with a fairly serious build and ran out of dough (classic case) and had to sell most of my parts and start over. Want a greddy manifold? smile.gif As I said, I JUST started the car for the 1st time today. After break in and all my current stuff is sold, we will see where Im at. Once again, what I do and what I know how to do are two different things. As for my grand am comments and the like, that was only friendly ribbing, Im not out to make enemys. On the issue at hand. I am aware that the Auto trany has its limitations. Aside from the obvious lack of fun factor, I know that they tend to blow up ~400, but I also have seen them on cars making ~500 in the past on built toyota autos. Is it common? no. Would I do it? not really. I'm trying to build what I hope to be an all around fun car. On to that, every mk3 owner wants to build a 400+ hp car but most end up falling short with a performance tecniques upgraded turbo or nothing at all, so for the majority an auto isnt so bad, even if they go at 400, if that is their thing. All Im saying(in way too many words) is that it is blind to say that the auto "sucks" when there are cars *cough dsm* that cant even take that much power on a 5 speed. If you want to question my credibility; go for it. I can be what I feel is a help and a good friend, or I can be a dick. I prefer to be the 1st but it is your call.