Autozone

Buck531

Ever notice how in the Autozone commercial (yeah, just saw one), they put in a '64 or so Cobra, or a old muscle car mustang or hell.. any old muscle car for that matter.

Reality: How many people with those cars will go to autozone to get parts (not just oil/filter).. parts.

Originally posted by Tractor:

I never go to autozone period. They've dicked me way to many times and 99% of there employees have no automotive knowledge.

Advance Autoparts is right the best part is there people.

Evan

yes, I can say that advance has treated me quite well. Hell, I'm in there at least 3-4 times a weekend. They always say to me when I walk in the door "oh.. what do you need now?" smile.gif . Normally I'm in there for wheel studs that I've stripped from changing my wheels too often :( .

I do get all my oil/filters, and just about everything there. On rare occasions, if they don't have a tool I need, I'll run across the street (less than 100 yards) and get the tool from autozone.

I'm lucky to be near Jono's Advance Auto on Bethel Road. Most guys go golfing or go to Home Depot on the weekends...I'm in Advance FINDING parts to replace on my vehicles in the name of "preventative maintenance" smile.gif

For a long time I was under the impression that AutoZone had a better selection of parts and tools. Really, that isn't the case anymore. I've left Advance all huffy about not having a certain part or tool only to find out the selection is no better at AutoZone or Pep Boys. Not all of the time, but it happens enough for me to have noticed. Given the location near me, I'll go straight to Advance first for my parts needs.

I also just bought one of their Autocraft batteries for my wife's Passat and I was very pleased with the part. Same for their "poly cog" belts. Good stuff! graemlins/thumb.gif

autozone sucks!

I buy my mobil 1 supersyn at target 4.44 - 4.99 a quart. I'm just wierd. But I love target!

Oh I buy my filter from subaru, I'm not having my waranty voided because I have a fram filter on there and I saved 2 bucks! Plus I need the crush washer from subaru. Stupid f-ing crush washers!

http://www.columbusdiscgolf.com/images/action-smiley-082.gif

I don’t know, maybe the ones by me are just different.

The selection and people at Advanced by my house are total crap. The under-achievement of the people at the Advanced is only eclipsed by the under-achievement of the people at the Pep boys.

The Auto Zone by my house is very good. It’s amazing, the people there actually know stuff about cars, and how to use their computers. For the auto parts places close to me, it is the only one I will go to.

I had always heard about the same from people around Columbus, I’m actually very surprised to hear people saying they like Advanced and don’t like Auto Zone. :confused:

The past few times (several since getting the SR5) I've needed something, I just hauled my ass over to Advance, cause I live down the street from both the Cleveland Ave, one, AND the one on Dublin-Granville & Karl Rd. Every time I've been there, the people have been pretty cool, helpful, and willing to take time to explain things to me if I didn't understand them. All in all, good customer service.

I'd have to vote for autozone. I have had good luck with them. If I need a part they don't stock (which is typically the case for most stores), they can get it the next afternoon. Plus their parts are resonably priced. I will shop at the others though depending on brands they carry and availability.

it depends on what part of town you are in.

if you shop at an advance that used to be a parts america or a nationwise( i'm old) they seem to have have more experienced employees. if you shop at an advance that is a new store the help is kinda so-so autozone seems to be hit or miss the one by my house sucks, but I went to one in another state and the service was excellent.

best bet if you want the right part in stock everytime is NAPA or International Auto Parts

I'm not biased but when I need something I usually need it now and the longest I've had to wait for a part from napa/ iap is a couple hours with advance or autozone its overnight or a couple days usually.

[ 15. October 2004, 12:58 AM: Message edited by: Gas, Grass, or Ass ]

Originally posted by Gas, Grass, or Ass:

it depends on what part of town you are in.

if you shop at an advance that used to be a parts america or a nationwise( i'm old) they seem to have have more experienced employees. if you shop at an advance that is a new store the help is kinda so-so autozone seems to be hit or miss the one by my house sucks, but I went to one in another state and the service was excellent.

best bet if you want the right part in stock everytime is NAPA or International Auto Parts

I'm not biased but when I need something I usually need it now and the longest I've had to wait for a part from napa/ iap is a couple hours with advance or autozone its overnight or a couple days usually.

dave wins

napa > *

hasn't it been around the longest?

I hate Autozone, I went there to get a axle seal,wrong one so I got the right one from Buckeye Nissan. I also got a replacement axle from Autozone,,,they gave me the wrong one 3,,yes 3 times. Finally when I went back the 4th time,,way pissed by this time,,I was helped by a guy who could barely speak English so I stepped behind the counter and check for the part I need myself and wouldn't ya know I found the RIGHT axle on my own(the first time). Where in the hell do they get their workers?

The simple is basic fact is, go where you like it.

Someone with a carbed hemi comes to me, im not going to be much help, but a fuel injected OHC, and im a bit more knowledgable. Im not saying i dont know a bunch about it all, just older motors i get sketchy on the specifics.

I absolutely hate napa, every time ive gone there even before i worked at advance they've been no help, cant manage their own books and computers, cant find the parts, and the customer service has been shitty. But someone else may go in and get great service from an employee that wasnt there when i was, and become a NAPA customer for life.

My suggestion is find the service you like and stick with it, sometimes for hard to find parts you'll have to go somewhere else, but as long as you have someone that is trying to help you, you will enjoy it.

-Jono

^ Good point.

My comment was based a lot more on quality of parts than customer service. We typically knew the part and part # we needed ahead of time.

We spent too much time replacing cheap parts from Autozone time and time again. You can get a faulty part from ANY parts store, but NAPA almost always carried higher quality.

I do go to AZ for cleaning supplies and things like headlight covers or floormats.

Originally posted by FC_Joe:

for parts, just go to the dealership and get OEM. who cares if it costs more.

I freaking do. And it is FFFAAARRR more convient to go to a parts store with more open hours that is 3 minutes away vs. 15 minutes hoping they have the part in stock, and making sure to get there before they close.

I go to Autozone most often simply because it is the closest. I never go to a parts store hoping for automotive advice....that's just not a good idea.

Originally posted by Buck531:

Ever notice how in the Autozone commercial (yeah, just saw one), they put in a '64 or so Cobra, or a old muscle car mustang or hell.. any old muscle car for that matter.

Reality: How many people with those cars will go to autozone to get parts (not just oil/filter).. parts.

It was because they were turning around in the parking lot ;)