Ohio wants to kill all pitbulls

NinjaNick

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know there are some humans that tend to be more on the agressive side, but doesn't mean the thought of killing anyone that isn't a pushover came to mind.

All dog breeds have some within the breed that are slightly more aggressive than others, that's natural and found probably in all species human included. There are some specific breeds of dogs though that where/are bred specifically with those traits. A Pit is naturally more aggressive than a Lab for example.

Two things in your argument don't fit though. First, there aren't breeds of humans. Neither race nor ethnicity fit within the same concept of separate breeds. Second, I don't think anything having to do with being a "pushover" came to mind.

I have to agree that this really is a stupid idea for legislation. I have been working in animal hospitals for 10 years and have been bitten by two dogs. One was a husky and one was a pomeranian. Yes I do muzzle pit bulls, BUT only when they give me a reason to. But it's the same with all dogs. You normally can see by the look in their eyes if they may bite you. But I muzzle more cocker spaniels than I do pit bulls. If I think we're going to do something the dog is going to object to and don't feel I can restrain it safely, I muzzle it. There are a lot of large dogs that no matter what I do, it's stronger than me. And there are some really wiggly little dogs too!

A couple years ago a pit bull bit a 3 year old in the face. Turns out she had puppies and the mother let the baby lay down on the dog with her puppies right there. STUPID!!! A year later I saw the dog with a knife in it's back (I think the blade was 8 inches and in the dog up to the handle) because the boyfriend of the mother decided to stab the dog, unprovoked (saw the chance and took it). We removed that dog from the backseat of the police cruiser and took xrays without a muzzle and it never once showed any form of aggression toward us. At the same time, a couple weeks ago a lab came in with several stab wounds on it's back because it had attacked the neighbor's dog.

I had a pit a few months ago with bite wounds on his face (not from another pit) so I had to clip and clean the wounds without a muzzle and he did great!

My friend has pits and they may run up to you and jump on you but it's only to get closer to lick your face! They're big babies. She had one of her dogs at the park on leash. Another owner had a golden off-leash. Like with many dogs, my friend's dog doesn't do well when other dogs run up to them. She warned the other owner several times to call their dog back and when they didn't, Cookie (the pit) bit the other dog. The other owner told park services and the dog warden about it, wanted my friend banned from the park and the dog put down. He even found out where she worked and called and harrassed her there and my boss had to get involved.

There definitely are a fair share of pit owners that only have them for status and allow them to act like fools. However, any puppy can grow up to be an aggressive dog. I had a client with Pit puppy that was showing aggressive tendencies when I was working on it. I told the owner she needed to work with the dog (as I would tell any owner of any breed) so that it knows that biting is not tolerated. She said when her husband comes home from work late at night the dog growls and snarls at him at the door and she wanted it that way for protection. That will be just great when their 3-year-old child grows up and has friends that want to come over and play. This is an example of a stupid pit owner.

Just a couple examples of my "dangerous" run-ins with pit bulls...

I have seen many pits that I feel do have agressive tendencies but more often than not, it's the owner's fault. I see a lot of ppl with stupid kids too, but that doesn't mean we're going to eliminate the next generation.

You can't say that just this one breed is aggressive. Most ppl would see an American Bulldog and this it's a Pit but it's not so it's ok to let them live? I have a lot of owners who have "boxer mix" listed as their dog's breed because if it came down to and the medical records were pulled for a dog bite complaint, the word Pit Bull wouldn't be on there.

This thread just putters.

You can't argue with facts. Pits are naturally more aggressive than other breeds period.

No one has ever said just Pits are aggressive. However there are three breeds that are much more aggressive than the others: Pits, Rots and Presa Canarios. You can raise a Pit and a Lab together the exact same way from the day they are born and the Pit will still be more likely to attack the other dog or a person than the Lab will. It's bred into them.

Anyone that ignores that fact is an idiot and shouldn't own any pets, because it's a sure sign they aren't responsible enough.

However there are three breeds that are much more aggressive than the others: Pits, Rots and Presa Canarios.

Can't agree with this. Especially as the owner of a pair of rotts. Their no more aggressive than my cousins Golden. The difference is if you come into the house unannounced, the Rott will rip into you, and because of their size they are very efficient at it, while the Golden will help you load the TV and home stereo.

also in this point you need to remember, to a dog, anyone it hasn't seen before, and even people it doesn't see regularly, is a stranger, and they are weary of them.

[edit] I can't even say they will rip into you. I have a friend Nick who moved back from Florida and had never seen the dogs untill they were 4 years. He's not stupid, and is very good with dogs, he didn't know about the dogs and walked into the house un announced. They backed him into a corner and kept him there. As a gaurd dog (the original breeding of the Rotts for the roman empire) they have a natural instinct to corner and hold people unless they resist or run, THEN they'll attack you until you stop resisting, which unfortunately for most people is when their dead.

Funny bit, Rotts have a natural instinct to herd too... It's pretty funny to see them around a group of small kids. :lol:

[/edit]

l_4ad909735ef1a732c095894c1366cb51.jpg

l_9ebf813d0232129f785886712c0823d8.jpg

Actually the stats point to this. It's not a personal observation. Those 3 breeds I listed and their mixes account for something like 76% of all dog attacks/bites in the US. If what you said where true Labs would be the number one dog for bites and attacks since there are so many more of them than any other breed.

I have a Lab and I wouldn't come into my house unannounced especially if you are male. Which sucks because that means I'm the one who has to take time off work everytime a maintenance guy or something has to come by. ...but... My friend had a Rot that would roll over and hope someone who broke in would rub it's belly before they stole everything and left. We do know it let the house get broken into once, not 100% sure on the belly rub though. See isn't anecdotal evidence fun?

I think a big thing people over look with dog bite stories, is whether the dog is provoked. Sometimes dogs do randomly bite innocent bystanders but in most cases someone has done something to piss the dog off. Seldomly does a dog run up wagging it tail, take a chunk out of your arm, then run off wagging its tail. I dunno per say that bit pulls are more aggressive by nature or that its a physical ability to inflict damage, they were bred to be very effective at killing other dogs. I mean 10 bit by a Lab only 2 of them will have serious medical problems, where as 8 from the pit bull will, simply cause it can do more damage. All 3 pitbulls ive known i have played rough with, they bite me when we play but they know the difference b/w playing and fighting. Yeah i agree this thread is gettin redundant but people just pick on pitbulls because thats what u hear the most horror stories from, if the owners are nice to their dogs and the people around the dog are nice and pay attention to its demeanor its 99% of the time not going to bite you.

Actually the stats point to this. It's not a personal observation. Those 3 breeds I listed and their mixes account for something like 76% of all dog attacks/bites in the US. If what you said where true Labs would be the number one dog for bites and attacks since there are so many more of them than any other breed.

I have a Lab and I wouldn't come into my house unannounced especially if you are male. Which sucks because that means I'm the one who has to take time off work everytime a maintenance guy or something has to come by. ...but... My friend had a Rot that would roll over and hope someone who broke in would rub it's belly before they stole everything and left. We do know it let the house get broken into once, not 100% sure on the belly rub though. See isn't anecdotal evidence fun?

taken from; http://www.healthypet.com/library_view.aspx?ID=16

Breed characteristics

It's difficult to determine just how much a dog's genetics determine his behavior, just like it's hard to know how much of a person's personality is nature and how much is nurture. It's true that some breeds were bred to perform tasks that require more aggression than others. Pit bulls, for example, were bred to fight dogs and other animals for sport. Some people theorize that pit bulls' genetics make them more prone to violence than other dogs, and pit bulls have in fact been involved in more fatal attacks than any other dog over the past 20 years. But breeds that are not bred for aggression, including golden retrievers, cocker spaniels, and Yorkshire terriers, have been involved in fatal attacks as well.

It's also true that some breeds simply have more ability to injure people than others do. Though it's no more likely to bite than a smaller dog, if it does bite, a Great Dane can do much more damage than a Maltese, for example. (Even very small breeds can be dangerous to children, however.)

A study performed by the American Veterinary Medical Association, the CDC, and the Humane Society of the United States, analyzed dog bite statistics from the last 20 years and found that the statistics don't show that any breeds are inherently more dangerous than others. The study showed that the most popular large breed dogs at any one time were consistently on the list of breeds that bit fatally. There were a high number of fatal bites from Doberman pinschers in the 1970s, for example, because Dobermans were very popular at that time and there were more Dobermans around, and because Dobermans'size makes their bites more dangerous. The number of fatal bites from pit bulls rose in the 1980s for the same reason, and the number of bites from rottweilers in the 1990s. The study also noted that there are no reliable statistics for nonfatal dog bites, so there is no way to know how often smaller breeds are biting.

The simple facts are these breeds are overly strong. Especially in the jaw area, and when they do attack, they do much more damage, would you rather be pinched by a pair of tweezers, or the jaws of life?

There are potentially millions of other dog bites that are NOT reported because they don't do much damage and people move on. Hell my woman gets bite by a damn tacobell dog EVERY time she goes to her grand mothers. EVERY TIME!! you want to talk about overly ferocious little bastards those are them! BUT they're tiny, and don't do any damage other than break the skin so they go mainly unaccounted for.

addition; The larger the dog, the duller the teeth are. small dogs have very sharp teeth BECAUSE they don't have much jaw strength, large dogs have very dull teeth because they don't need them, they have the force to push them through just about anything, this also does more damage as they are pushed through flesh because they aren't as sharp. Hell my dogs canine teeth had flat spots on the top that were the size of a #2 pencil eraser. I'd look at them and think, those don't look very useful. Then I'd look at the jaw muscles and remember, oh yeah, there's a good reason they're not very sharp, they don't need to be.

I don't base my views on "stories" I base mine on stats and reports collected. If I based mine purely on stories I wouldn't tell my 7 year old to be careful when rough housing with our Lab who is much larger.

I will say though that Pits are more dog aggressive than people aggressive. I'm not stating at all that Pits are big, mean, aggressive, dangerous and should be gotten rid of dogs. I get pissy when people treat them as if they can do no harm and are completely non aggressive to humans. Hell any good breeder will tell you not to breed any Pit that shows any human aggression what so ever. Even a slightly aggressive Pit is dangerous, they are bred to fight.

The Akita is still more badass though :p

I have to agree that this really is a stupid idea for legislation. I have been working in animal hospitals for 10 years and have been bitten by two dogs. One was a husky and one was a pomeranian. Yes I do muzzle pit bulls, BUT only when they give me a reason to. But it's the same with all dogs. You normally can see by the look in their eyes if they may bite you. But I muzzle more cocker spaniels than I do pit bulls. If I think we're going to do something the dog is going to object to and don't feel I can restrain it safely, I muzzle it. There are a lot of large dogs that no matter what I do, it's stronger than me. And there are some really wiggly little dogs too!

A couple years ago a pit bull bit a 3 year old in the face. Turns out she had puppies and the mother let the baby lay down on the dog with her puppies right there. STUPID!!! A year later I saw the dog with a knife in it's back (I think the blade was 8 inches and in the dog up to the handle) because the boyfriend of the mother decided to stab the dog, unprovoked (saw the chance and took it). We removed that dog from the backseat of the police cruiser and took xrays without a muzzle and it never once showed any form of aggression toward us. At the same time, a couple weeks ago a lab came in with several stab wounds on it's back because it had attacked the neighbor's dog.

I had a pit a few months ago with bite wounds on his face (not from another pit) so I had to clip and clean the wounds without a muzzle and he did great!

My friend has pits and they may run up to you and jump on you but it's only to get closer to lick your face! They're big babies. She had one of her dogs at the park on leash. Another owner had a golden off-leash. Like with many dogs, my friend's dog doesn't do well when other dogs run up to them. She warned the other owner several times to call their dog back and when they didn't, Cookie (the pit) bit the other dog. The other owner told park services and the dog warden about it, wanted my friend banned from the park and the dog put down. He even found out where she worked and called and harrassed her there and my boss had to get involved.

There definitely are a fair share of pit owners that only have them for status and allow them to act like fools. However, any puppy can grow up to be an aggressive dog. I had a client with Pit puppy that was showing aggressive tendencies when I was working on it. I told the owner she needed to work with the dog (as I would tell any owner of any breed) so that it knows that biting is not tolerated. She said when her husband comes home from work late at night the dog growls and snarls at him at the door and she wanted it that way for protection. That will be just great when their 3-year-old child grows up and has friends that want to come over and play. This is an example of a stupid pit owner.

Just a couple examples of my "dangerous" run-ins with pit bulls...

I have seen many pits that I feel do have agressive tendencies but more often than not, it's the owner's fault. I see a lot of ppl with stupid kids too, but that doesn't mean we're going to eliminate the next generation.

You can't say that just this one breed is aggressive. Most ppl would see an American Bulldog and this it's a Pit but it's not so it's ok to let them live? I have a lot of owners who have "boxer mix" listed as their dog's breed because if it came down to and the medical records were pulled for a dog bite complaint, the word Pit Bull wouldn't be on there.

+1

taken from; http://www.healthypet.com/library_view.aspx?ID=16

The simple facts are these breeds are overly strong. Especially in the jaw area, and when they do attack, they do much more damage, would you rather be pinched by a pair of tweezers, or the jaws of life?

There are potentially millions of other dog bites that are NOT reported because they don't do much damage and people move on. Hell my woman gets bite by a damn tacobell dog EVERY time she goes to her grand mothers. EVERY TIME!! you want to talk about overly ferocious little bastards those are them! BUT they're tiny, and don't do any damage other than break the skin so they go mainly unaccounted for.

addition; The larger the dog, the duller the teeth are. small dogs have very sharp teeth BECAUSE they don't have much jaw strength, large dogs have very dull teeth because they don't need them, they have the force to push them through just about anything, this also does more damage as they are pushed through flesh because they aren't as sharp. Hell my dogs canine teeth had flat spots on the top that were the size of a #2 pencil eraser. I'd look at them and think, those don't look very useful. Then I'd look at the jaw muscles and remember, oh yeah, there's a good reason they're not very sharp, they don't need to be.

Meh I had a nice long response typed out but there's no point. Yeah large dogs are more prone to cause more damage. Ummm that's pretty much a friggin no brainer. Great so now you have large aggressive dog.

Oh and your little article doesn't give all the statistics and agrees with me. It even admits that breeds (like Pits and Rots) are possibly more aggressive due to genetics. Their no brainer spin fact is that when as those breeds became more popular there were more attacks by those breeds. They leave out the comparison between the popularity of other breeds of about the same size at the time. Like as of 2007 Pits and Rots aren't even in the top 10 of popularity and still contribute to considerably more number of attacks and dog bites than more popular breeds. And no not every dog more popular them them is a small breed. Hell I read somewhere that 1/3 of ALL dog attack fatalities are caused by Pit Bulls and they only make up 2% of the dog population. Pits and Rots combined account for 50% of all bog bite fatalities. You do the math. Oh yeah there's 150 recognized breeds by the AKC and a lot more muts.

I don't base my views on "stories" I base mine on stats and reports collected. If I based mine purely on stories I wouldn't tell my 7 year old to be careful when rough housing with our Lab who is much larger.

I will say though that Pits are more dog aggressive than people aggressive. I'm not stating at all that Pits are big, mean, aggressive, dangerous and should be gotten rid of dogs. I get pissy when people treat them as if they can do no harm and are completely non aggressive to humans. Hell any good breeder will tell you not to breed any Pit that shows any human aggression what so ever. Even a slightly aggressive Pit is dangerous, they are bred to fight.

The Akita is still more badass though :p

Akita owner right here. They are definitely dog aggressive. They CAN be people and kid aggressive if not raised properly due to a high prey drive. Truth be told though, and I'm not advocating dog fights, the Pit will most likely do more damage than an Akita.

If we are talking potential for damage/injury/death, you have to put the Presa Canario at the top. You don't see a lot of Presas because of the cost though. The Pit is bread in everyone's back yard..and even a runt of the litter has the potential to be dangerous. Yes, all dogs can be dangerous..My Akita would be a beast if he wasn't socialized properly. But the average Pit has the tools to do more damage is something was to happen.

This is more of a human problem than a dog problem.

Akita owner right here. They are definitely dog aggressive. They CAN be people and kid aggressive if not raised properly due to a high prey drive. Truth be told though, and I'm not advocating dog fights, the Pit will most likely do more damage than an Akita.

If we are talking potential for damage/injury/death, you have to put the Presa Canario at the top. You don't see a lot of Presas because of the cost though. The Pit is bread in everyone's back yard..and even a runt of the litter has the potential to be dangerous. Yes, all dogs can be dangerous..My Akita would be a beast if he wasn't socialized properly. But the average Pit has the tools to do more damage is something was to happen.

This is more of a human problem than a dog problem.

I miss my Akita. Beautiful dogs. Can't wait to get another.

Meh I had a nice long response typed out but there's no point. Yeah large dogs are more prone to cause more damage. Ummm that's pretty much a friggin no brainer. Great so now you have large aggressive dog.

Oh and your little article doesn't give all the statistics and agrees with me. It even admits that breeds (like Pits and Rots) are possibly more aggressive due to genetics. Their no brainer spin fact is that when as those breeds became more popular there were more attacks by those breeds. They leave out the comparison between the popularity of other breeds of about the same size at the time. Like as of 2007 Pits and Rots aren't even in the top 10 of popularity and still contribute to considerably more number of attacks and dog bites than more popular breeds. And no not every dog more popular them them is a small breed. Hell I read somewhere that 1/3 of ALL dog attack fatalities are caused by Pit Bulls and they only make up 2% of the dog population. Pits and Rots combined account for 50% of all bog bite fatalities. You do the math. Oh yeah there's 150 recognized breeds by the AKC and a lot more muts.

I agree with Fusion in saying that some breeds ARE more aggressive. BUT, it's up to the owner to either breed to exclude that trait or socialize that dog when it's young to overcome that. My Akita has become somewhat dog aggressive...LOl and you know why? because of the fuckin stray Pits in my neighborhood that come up to him and want to fight from the jump. After the third time, he's like fuck it. Bite first, ask questions later.

Dogs, like people, are products of their environment.

I miss my Akita. Beautiful dogs. Can't wait to get another.

+11111111111111

They are more like cats than dogs in a lot of ways. You can't make an Akita do anything he/she doesn't want to do. They are very independent, loyal and intelligent dogs. They are not for everyone though. If you don't have the time and patience to train it properly, look elsewhere. The first 18 months with my first male Akita were hell on earth. I wanted someone to come get his ass. once he matured, OMG, perfect dog.

FUUUUCK YOU! What a stupid thing to say. I bet you have done your research and are well educated on the breed :rolleyes: Damn, I bet youre such a bad ass making a comment like that.

:werd:...how would you like if people wanted to kill your dog and it didn't do anything!!!

...my pit isn't close to being stupid or aggressive, she loves to play and would play with any dog or person that would be willing to play with her!!!

Layla 6-8 weeks...

P1010555.JPG

P1010557.JPG

P1010600.JPG

4months...

P1010604.JPG

around 1yr (March 2008)...

SSPX0094.jpg

SSPX0095.jpg

P1020256.JPG

P1020269.JPG

P1020271.JPG