suggestions for my new car

Rustlestiltskin

hey, well i just sold my eclipse over the weekend and bought me an 2001 black mustang cobra 5speed . i had my buddies hoblick and fowler on here tell me a few things that i could get for it but just wanted to see what other people's output is on here. soo far it's completely stock except for a suspension kit from steeda that the previous owner put on.. so if you guys got any suggestions on some good stuff for these cars give me a shout tongue.gif thanks

If it's lowered and you decide at some point to put headers on it, you will have to go with shorties. The longtube headers will scrape the ground going over bumps, etc. I had a 99 Cobra w/ stock suspension and put Longtubes on it. Even with the stock suspension, I could hear the collectors scrape the ground sometimes.

Obviously, the first things you should do are:

Short Throw Shifter

Cold Air Intake

Headers

H or X pipe

Cat-back

By the way, I have a Flowmaster Cat-back for sale. Hit me up on PM's if you would be intersted.

Originally posted by Sully04 F-150 4x4:

Obviously, the one thing you should NOT do is:

Cold Air Intake

FIXED

Completely useless, a $30 K&N will give the samwe 1-2 rwhp as a BBK kit.

Originally posted by The Ogrish:

FIXED

Completely useless, a $30 K&N will give the samwe 1-2 rwhp as a BBK kit.

OMG, I don't know what kit you installed, but when I installed the Densecharger CAI on my Cobra, I could feel a HUGE difference.

Originally posted by Sully04 F-150 4x4:

OMG, I don't know what kit you installed, but when I installed the Densecharger CAI on my Cobra, I could feel a HUGE difference.

hahahahha, i guess as long as the ole SOTP dyno is working it doesn't matter what doing a back to back dyno comparisons or tests at a track prove. smile.gif ***

*** engines running boost do make more hp on the CAI.

That's why you start off with the CAI. So that you will be ready for boost. If you just buy a K&N filter now, there's $30 or more bucks gone because you will be replacing that with a CAI when you add boost. Gotta plan ahead man!!

Certain ones are know to make a lot of power densecharger, wms etc. Bill Cosby has tried a few he Runs 11 with stock na 99 cobra. I dont think anybody has mentioned pulleys, 4.30 gears, kenne bell supercharger kit vortech etc

Originally posted by just a 4cyl:

hey, well i just sold my eclipse over the weekend and bought me an 2001 black mustang cobra 5speed . i had my buddies hoblick and fowler on here tell me a few things that i could get for it but just wanted to see what other people's output is on here. soo far it's completely stock except for a suspension kit from steeda that the previous owner put on.. so if you guys got any suggestions on some good stuff for these cars give me a shout tongue.gif thanks

I can vouch that 3.73 gears make a Big'Un difference. Pain in the butt to install though. I want to try one of those DiabloSport programmers? Anyone got one? Get some Flowmasters too dude!

spend some money on the driver. autocross it, or open lap it. hell, even some strip time will make you faster and more confident driving your vehicle. its almost always cheaper to make a driver faster than it is to make a car faster. and, its a mod you can take into your next car, especially if its a fast one. ;)

oh, and since its a mustang, you may want to try some enzyte, too. tongue.gif

Originally posted by just a 4cyl:

Have I met you before over at Jason's or somewhere else. thats a nice car.

Originally posted by Mowgli:

+1 on the shifter first. That one mod will lower your ET by giving faster smoother shifts. The stock 5speed shifter placement and travel, while not as bad as the 6speed, still sucks.

+ another 1

Fuck a 2-3 shift on a Mustang 5 speed with the stock shifter. Long tubes and at least a 4.10 gear will make it an entirely different car. If it stays unboosted, you could even go as high as 4.56 comfortably. I agree with holding off on the cold air intake.

thanks for more imput guys.. me and another fellow mustang buddy was lookin over the car on sat. and we found one of those RPM adjuster boxes that ppl get when they put higher gear in so that brought up the thought that it might actually have a higher gear in it like 3.55 or 3.73... dunno which one but my friend has 4.10 and it's def. not that. but yea, i've been lookin into an exhuast to get soon and i'm leaning towards a mac x pipe w/ Mac pro dumps b/c a friend has them and i likem alot. but keep on tossin info my way guys.. i def. appreciate it! :D

Some suggestions cold-air kits are useless its been proven on several cars that I know of. Put a gear in it first then exhaust keep the tail pipes it looks and sounds better. I personally don't think the stock shifters are that bad I can powershift my Mach just fine.