Cheap car to fix when it breaks

initzero

Hello,

I currently have a 2004 wrx wagon that runs a 12.9 @ 105.

I'm looking for a car to replace my wrx as my drag racing car that will run close to the same 1/4 mile times. I'm looking for some thing cheap to fix when it breaks.

I'm currently looking at the following:

93-97 Trans am that I will put a 150 wet shot with supporting mods.

Fiero with a GTP motor swap.

miata with a 5.0 mustang motor

DSM with a 18G or 20G with supporting mods

My wrx is going to be to expensive to fix when it does break, thats why i'm looking for a new car.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Guys

Guest jpurdy2003
Originally posted by initzero:

The wrx is my daily driver and thats why I need to stop racing it.

You guys have any idea on how much you can get a 5.0 motor for?

In some more hickish parts of C-bus, the price of a 12-pack of Pabst and a fat rock of meth.

But seriously, the best place to look is word-of-mouth. There's so many Mustang owners here that someone has a friend or relative with one for sale. Up here in cleveland, people have been known to let them go for as little as $100.

5.0l mustang.. or miata if you must. will be your cheap bet. motors are cheap.. you cna get a carbed 5.0l motor cheaper than a FI but FI will run you probably $300-$600 thats including wiring harness and all. t5 tranny around $250... parts are plentiful, and easy to repair.

Are you only talking about drag racing or will there be some autocrossing and open tracking too?

As far as a DSM, I'm not sure you need to go 18 or 20G to be fast. My friend ran a 12.0@113 and 12.1@116 on a 16G. The car is a full interior, daily driver, and it's built to handle, not for drag racing. He's autocrossed it and done well. IMO, a properly built DSM will hold up just as well as any other race car. (Admittedly, he's about at the limit's of the 16G)

A Fiero w/ a 3800S/C swap will be fast, cheap and easy to mod, and semi-cheap to fix if it's an 84-87 model. The 88's are more expensive to fix on most aspects (suspension). There are some nice handling Fiero's out there, but they are heavy and not much weight can be lost due to the space frame construction.

A Miata with a 5.0L will be fast in a straight line, but I wouldn't be in favor of killing the stock Miata's weight balance if you're going for handling. Parts are plentiful.