Modern day Muscle Car War

tandm

Guest Jonnygts
Guess what, ive had a 5.0 since 16 too. Kid at school wrecked his 400HP Supra doin a 100+ into a tree. Antoher friend of mine totaled his SS. Another dumbass at school totaled his LS-1 T/A. I guess it really depends on who is driving. Tell insurence companies that teens are just as responsible with high powered cars.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah and I believe someone on here wrecked a viper that was a responsible adult. Although everyone I've known that was younger paid for there own shit maybe that's why they've mananged to keep them in one piece. Or maybe you just know a bunch of idiots.

Lets be real, most of us in whatever car we have if we are into cars. Will push the car to its limits try new things etc. Its not so much being worried about people doing it, its being worried about people doing it in the wrong places. Example: Middle of traffic. New drivers are going to try new things, how else are you gonna learn first hand. As long as the driver/people with them knowing what there doing are only ones that get hurt I dont see the problem.

Edit: Is DJ meaning that the WRX and Evo started this "horsepower war"?

yes, it does. in 2001, when the wrx arrived, what was there for performance domestically? it was the end of the f-body, the mustang wasnt exactly the beast it is right now, and of course, there was the corvette, which wont ever go away......ever. holler if i missed anything.

so, here come a 230 hp 4 cylinder, and all of a sudden, the mustang is in the same league? :eek: props to the ford guy for only taking 3 years to kill that idea. (cobra = graemlins/thumb.gif )

mitsu sees the success that the rex is enjoying, and for some reason, even thought at that point the evo had been around for something like 5 or 6 years, they decide now would be a good time to bring it. they did, and about 7 hours later the sti is unveiled.

meanwhile, the gm guys are thinkin, "wow, the high hp version of the impreza (which is sold in oz, too) is doing pretty well in yankee-land. maybe this here monaro would work too."

and for good measure they decided to up the hp on every rear drive performance application they make, and thusly put the four bangers out of range for some time to come.

loose tie ins? ill give you that. am i reading a bit into things? maybe. is it all that far fetchad? maybe not so much as you think. im not saying all of this is becasue of my little ole' car, but it does seem mighty coincidental, doesnt it?

or maybe ive just spent too much time talking to marks sister....... :D

Guest stevil
Originally posted by Orion:

yes, it does. in 2001, when the wrx arrived, what was there for performance domestically? it was the end of the f-body, the mustang wasnt exactly the beast it is right now, and of course, there was the corvette, which wont ever go away......ever. holler if i missed anything.

so, here come a 230 hp 4 cylinder

GTP 240 HP four door since 1998. Holla! tongue.gif Is that what the WRX was brought here to fight? I think Ford had the Lightning then also. And then there is the Viper of course, just a little bit more $$$ than the Vette.

In any case, the domestics have been here, having their own HP war, where power increases every few years like I showed on page 2. The power would have went up whether the WRX was here or not.

GTP 240 HP four door since 1998
graemlins/nonono.gif the gtp is not a performance application. no matter what anybody says. sorry chris.

eli, the lincoln is in the luxery class, again, not a "performance oriented" car, besides, at just over 4000 lbs, you damn well better have an engine with that much hp, just to get the thing around. how much did it come with in 01? right around 280? :eek:

a little clarification. at 230 hp, i was not by any means making the wrx out to be a supa fast ride yo. but, at that time, it was the high hp model of the impreza. and, its rated just around the same the 01 mustang (which i thought was supposed to be fords performance car :confused: )

anyways, its just a thought. you dont have to buy it, cause im not selling it. just wondered if anyone else made that connection. graemlins/thumb.gif

Originally posted by 2Slw4CR:

Damn, I get on avg. 25mpg

That's it, buying a GTO. tongue.gif Actually, lets go w/ a mach 1.

It's all got to do with the 6 speed. My GT gets around 23 on the highway while my dad's C5 gets 28-30.

well I get around 8mpg so poo on all you guys..lol

But back on topic..whether its some young punk driving a 400hp car or a red or silver or whatever color VW... (not trying to make a point or anything) but one young punk driving cars like that on 270 cutting in and out of cars almost running 2 mustangs off the road..yeah punks who cant drive can wreck anything... high HP or not... So I hope they keep having the muscle car wars...lol