36" In the air!?!?

Ryoga

I finally gotten the stereo upgrade mostly completed and am now beginning the 'performance' oriented phases of the mod's and found out a sucky fact. I have been told that in order for me to bolt the catback on I've got to float the Vette at least 36" in the air! :eek:

John (Blozilla) confirmed that he had to do the same with his old vette and achieved it by lots of blocks of wood and shakey jack/stands... I'm not too keen on this thought. Anyone got any ideas on how I can achieve this hieght safely without wooden blocks or shelling out extra money that can be put to other needed mods? This thing is way too slow as it is so every penny counts to bring it to an acceptable level.

It's times like this I wish I would have just saved up a little extra cash ahead of time and bought one of those personal garage lifts for the house. :( Bah... I'm sure I'm going to end up paying Midas, Tuffy or whatever anyhow under the circumstances-so much for modders pride in doing everything himself. graemlins/nonono.gif

Originally posted by ansonivan:

I think Harbor Freight sells some pretty massive jack stands... maybe not a full 3ft but close.

Everyone keeps talking about the cool stuff that place has. I've been here almost 8 years and I first heard about them last week. Since then I've had 5 different people mention them and how cool the stuff they carry is. tongue.gif

I JUST spent 3pm to 1am on Saturday (7/24) dropping the ENTIRE exhaust system from the headers back out of my '95 just to saw off the stock mufflers and weld on SLP's.

I only had roll-up ramps in the back and 18" of height from jackstands in the front. PNEUMATIC TOOLS are the key... graemlins/thumb.gif

I think the 36" may be due to the arch the exhaust takes over the rear half shafts. You SHOULD be able to accomplish this job without a lift...you'll just be REALLY sore from working on your back all day. graemlins/nutkick.gif

I also went to Harbor Freight on Saturday for screwdrivers and a 4.5" angle grinder for the welds. Harbor Freight fucking owns, but just realize alot (not ALL, but most) of the tools are cheap, foreign-made, one-use-only tools. The price is reflective of that, though.

Most all cat backs on C5's come in 2 pieces. The up and over piece and the muffler itself. Gettin the stock exhaust off is the harder of the 2 since it is in 1 piece. You can and alot do cut the stock exhuast somewhere and make it 2 pieces then you will not have to jack the car up high at all. The easiest way to do this is put the car on car ramps, unbolt the rear sway bar from the middle and pull it down and out of the way. This will make a ton of room for the exhaust to come out and the new one to be put back in. Let me know if you need any help.

Originally posted by The Vette:

.....This will make a ton of room for the exhaust to come out and the new one to be put back in. Let me know if you need any help.

Sounds like a cinch to me... Much less labor intensive than many of the other things we've done for sure, lol. Thanks for the run down and the offer for help if needed. smile.gif

Originally posted by buckeye:

give me a call if we do it on the weekend I will let you do it for free as long as it is done in one day and does not tie up my rack and cost money

Kirk's Service center

614-506-3019

Thanks! I'm going to eyeball it myself with the Jack and stands first to see how it looks, but more than likely I'll give you a call so I can keep the stock piece whole. I can't imagine it taking more than 30-45 minutes, of course as with all 'shadetree mechanic' declarations those could be famous last words, lol. Either way, 'you the man' just for making the offer! :D