Legacy GT...why?

Nitrousbird

To me, a Legacy GT is taking a WRX, blanding up the styling a whole bunch, adding 23HP, and upping the sticker price a grand. Why not just buy a WRX?

Am I missing something here? The GT looks bigger/heavier (I've never looked up the specs so I can't be sure). What am I missing here??

Originally posted by Mowgli:

Room. Some folks have families - car seats suck to have to squeeze in.

The WRX is a 4-door too. Is the rear room really that bad in the WRX (don't know, never sat in the back of one). If it is that bad, isn't it pretty pointless for the WRX to be a 4-door (which is something I really don't like about the WRX/EVO....they should be 2-door cars).

The Legacy GT is the Performance variant of the Legacy Line up. It was not intended for the WRX customer so much as it was the WRX customer that has different needs. The GT is bigger, in the same way that the Legacy is bigger than the Impreza. Why shouldn't Subaru bring a performance model to each line of vehicles they sell? I personally think that the '05 Legacy GT is a very handsome car, and don't believe that anyone should have to sacrifice their comfort because they want a fun car. Believe it or not, there are some people that just flat don't like the styling of the WRX.

Why did so many people buy GTP's when they could have bought a Formula? If Pontiac hadn't offered the GTP, maybe we'd still have the F-Bodies around. Why buy an Escalade, when for less money, you could buy a Tahoe with almost all of the same options? I dunno, maybe they want to.

:rolleyes:graemlins/gives.gif

Originally posted by CR Caddy:

Why did so many people buy GTP's when they could have bought a Formula? If Pontiac hadn't offered the GTP, maybe we'd still have the F-Bodies around.

Not even comparable. FWD car that is significantly slower stock for stock.

Why are people getting their panties in a bunch?? I'm just simply asking why there is a market for this car, when it seems the WRX already filled it.

Originally posted by Nitrousbird:

Not even comparable. FWD car that is significantly slower stock for stock.

Why are people getting their panties in a bunch?? I'm just simply asking why there is a market for this car, when it seems the WRX already filled it.

See, that's the thing, though. The WRX wasn't filling the midsize performance car category for Subaru. That's why the market for the Legacy GT. Call it a stepping stone if you will. The Legacy GT would be a likely step for a current Subie owner who has just had a child (or a second), and needs more room. If said current Subie owner has been really satisfied with his WRX, it would seem logical that the Subaru dealer would be the first place he would go to begin shopping for a replacement vehicle. If you wanted a bigger car, and liked everything about your WRX except the limited space in the back seat, wouldn't you strongly consider a performance variant of the next size larger vehicle line. It's all about customer acquisition and retention. Try to make it so that you have a vehicle in each price range/demographic/class so that you can attempt to appeal to all different parties. The ideal would be to sell that twenty something college grad his first new car, as well as each subsequent vehicle purchase up to his last.

The Legacy is cool, I like it, I'd buy it before a WRX. The WRX has a big wing and crap Joe, of all people I think you would understand something like this. GTO is to Legacy, as Trans Am is to WRX.

Originally posted by Hoosier Daddy:

GTO is to Legacy, as Trans Am is to WRX.

I don't think that is entirely accurate because the GTO and the Trans Am didn't share showroom space. Maybe more like Legacy is to Taurus SHO, as WRX is to SVT Contour. Same basic performance minded customer base with different everyday needs.

Originally posted by CR Caddy:

I don't think that is entirely accurate because the GTO and the Trans Am didn't share showroom space. Maybe more like Legacy is to Taurus SHO, as WRX is to SVT Contour. Same basic performance minded customer base with different everyday needs.

How Ironic.. SHO and SVT Contour ;)

Many of the guys on here already hit the nail on the head. The Legacy GT has more useable space (for say, 4 adults), is a little less "boy racer", and IMHO is of a higher quality that the Rex.

The interior pieces, console, gauges, door panels, etc. are all much more substantial and of nicer materials.

I really do like WRX's, but the Rex just felt kinda cheap.

I drove both, along with an STI, and purchased a LGT because it fit all my needs and it still goes like stink....

I had a Maxima, Bucky has a Lumina...both decently fast, extremely roomy 4-door sport sedans that would surprise a lot of 2-door "sporty" cars.

Plus, I've sat in the back of the WRX. I get leg cramps just THINKING about what little room you've got.

Legacy GT, Maxima = plenty of fuck room in the back seat ;)

Originally posted by Zeitgeist57:

I had a Maxima, Bucky has a Lumina...both decently fast, extremely roomy 4-door sport sedans that would surprise a lot of 2-door "sporty" cars.

Plus, I've sat in the back of the WRX. I get leg cramps just THINKING about what little room you've got.

Legacy GT, Maxima = plenty of fuck room in the back seat ;)

you must not have much of an imagination. If you did, the back seat in a maxima would have no where near enough room.

Yep, I've driven a WRX, STI, my RS and a Legacy GT twice. The Legacy is more useable day to day. It feels just as fast as the STI to me. The difference is pretty slim anyway. The power is more usable too.

The car looks much nicer than the STI. I don't want to drive around every day in a boy racer car. The only thing the STI has that I would want is the variable center diff.

The interior is nice on the Legacy too. There is a reason it won best car in Japan the year it was introduced.