Help me pick an engine.

Kuruma

Welp, I'm pretty much tired of playing with the weak little SOHC in the Neon, and I'm beginning to think I should just swap the motor for something with a bit more potential, rather then wasting money on upgrading the stock engine. Getting rid of the car is not an option, I'm stuck with it for another year still. Should I go for the DOHC engine, the 2.4L swap, or has anyone got any other suggestions that might be good for this car?

I can't afford adding a *third* car/don't have the space to keep a third one right now, and I'm not willing to get rid of the AE86 for anything other then a better AE86. I haven't had my fun with it yet. smile.gif

Guest sixpackstang
Why not the srt-4 motor? See if you can get one of those that's wrecked but the drivetrain is still good and swap it out. I'm sure some young punk has smashed one up by now.

Swaping in a 2.4 from the Stratus is a good swap. Most of the performance parts that fit the 2.0 will fit the 2.4. An SRT-4 turbo 2.4 engine would be good and they are many that have putt them in the 1st gen Neons. I have talked to a few that have picked up the turbo 2.4 from junk yards for around $500. The thing is being there when the car comes in.

A real find is finding the turbo 2.4L they put in the 1st gen Stratus'. They were only available in the Mexician models. They put down around 280 hp from the factory. I have one in my garage right now that is being rebuilt. With the stage 2 turbo I am putting on it I am hoping to put down around 340-350hp. My plains is to put this in my 97 Neon I just got a couple weeks back for $200 with a dead engine.

[ 02. November 2004, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: punkrocker3_00 ]

Leave it stock and just drive it. Seriously, what's a 95 Neon worth now, $1000-1500?? It's not really a good performance platform, and was truely meant to be an inexpensive A to B car. You would be better off modding the Corolla, or saving the money for something with more potential.

nice posts i like the wedge idea...i would go with a 2.4 block from a stratus then go with either a race ported head or the srt4 head. get bigger valves and a nice set of mild race cams from crane they make a nice setup for a 2.4. there are a couple companies that make aftermarket manifolds for the 2.4 that I would invest in such as www.howellautomotive.com www.fastfabrications.com and www.modernperformance.com. the turbo setup would be a easy to pick. any nicely sized t3/t4 setup would do. a lot of people like .57 and a .63. the tranny will have to be the fun part. the srt4 tranny is about 2 to 3 if i can remember. correctly. the engine new is 10k. if you can search www.turbododge.com www.neons.org www.eastcoastneons.org and other sites to get an stock srt4 computer or wiring harness from a wrecked car. You will have to get forged internals for the thing to run real nice. the man to talk to is Aaron Miller in detroit. he is the man. one of the first if not the first to put a srt4 setup in a 1st gen. he is on a detroit neons board. he built a nice tranny for my mild engine setup. PM him he knows his shit. if you want PM me and I know a lot of guys that you can talk to that have done this swap. there is a guy here in columbus that has a 98 (i think) R/T model with a complete srt4 setup in it. if you want to do it that fast cheaper way. get a DOHC and put a little juice on it. i would turbo before juice anyday but thats me. CHIEF dont get him to our messes with turbo dodges. they are cheap to mod but not always fun to work on. have fun and good luck.

I've been practicing drifting it when it's wet, or when I find a good amount of clear space in a big parking lot away from other cars and such, actually. My goal in the end is to have a series of cars for several different situations, and to practice different techniques the different cars respond well to until I have them all down. That's why I don't want to go exclusively RWD or FWD. Each style has different things to it that appeal to me. It's all entertaining in the end.

On a side note though, this Neon's handling is far superior to the SR5 version of the AE86 anyway. It's more responsive to what I try to make it do, while the SR5 feels a little slow to respond/mushy in comparison... Was the GT-S at least better then that?

get ahold of slowmotion motor sports. the owner's name is jon, he owns the fastest Neon in the midwest (12.17) and hopefully next year will own the fastest Neon in America.... (he's the guy that Clark was talking about that owns the R/T) it's scarey how much that boy knows about these cars... anyone else that anyone recomends to talk to about Neon's shadows in comparison as far as knowledge about Neon's.

the info on Slow Motion's shop is

4430 Westerville Road

Columbus OH 43231

Phone is:

614-472-3875

His name is Jon Moore

Originally posted by Kuruma:

I've been practicing drifting it when it's wet, or when I find a good amount of clear space in a big parking lot away from other cars and such, actually. My goal in the end is to have a series of cars for several different situations, and to practice different techniques the different cars respond well to until I have them all down. That's why I don't want to go exclusively RWD or FWD. Each style has different things to it that appeal to me. It's all entertaining in the end.

On a side note though, this Neon's handling is far superior to the SR5 version of the AE86 anyway. It's more responsive to what I try to make it do, while the SR5 feels a little slow to respond/mushy in comparison... Was the GT-S at least better then that?

Ofcourse it will feel mushy,,damn thang is old!! As far as handling your Rolla is better,,it is very neutral as far a weight(better for autoX and drift),RWD so better for drag. Its fairly easy to swap. Check out Club4ag.com,,you'll learn all you need. Use the slowpar for your daily and stick with the Rolla. Ofcoure the Mopar lovers are going to steer you their way, just do the reseach and compare the two and I'm sure your'll be happy with the end result(rolla).

I don't want to have a dedicated daily/race car, I like them both enough to drive them on a regular basis, and it's important for me to be able to drive the cars I own on the street as well as on a track (eventually tongue.gif ) Any suggestons on how to make it *LESS* mushy, and more responsive? I like the Neon because of an attachment I've developed to it, and the way it feels in the car itself, but I like the AE86 too because of it's own unique feel.

hi im the slowmotion guy. Ive had quite a few neons and i think i could help steer you in a good direction if you wanted to. first off im asuming that your car is a standard. Youre stock transmission is just fine it will bolt up to any 2.4L dodge motor(caravan, stratus, PT crusier, SRT-4) the best of the 2.4L is the PT cruiser because its got a newer design on a few parts of the motor but an older engine is good too. there is a multitude of ways for you to go. All motor, boost, or nitrous. take a stock botom end 2.4L remove the balancer shafts and put on a P&P head with some crane 18s for cams with normal bolt-ons and you can see around 170-180 hp and 160-170tq. go boost you can pick up SRT4 turbo manifold and turbo around $350 used SRT FMIC and some fuel system stuff and make 220-240hp on a stock 2.4L. and well nitrous speaks for itself.

either way stop by our shop on westerville road and i could give you more info on it or advice

btw another good sourse of infor is www.neons.org

Originally posted by Kuruma:

Actually... It's an auto :( I wish it *was* a standard, now that I've used my AE86 to learn to shift my own gears. I'm pretty much stuck with it though.

With it being an auto, first mod you will want to do is put in a standard. You can pick one up for a Neon for around $25-$50. Grab the rest of the stuff and the whole project cost is maybe $250 and a weekend to do the swap. Look on www.neons.org for the write up of the directions and parts list. Many, many people have done this swap. There are 2 transmission you can get the 3.55 will give you better gas milage and 3.94 is the performance transmission. Either trans can be in any model of Neon so you just need to look.