Probably getting a new beater....need some suggestions.

1Quik7

gonna be in the market for a new beater, i've been browsing thru AutoTrader...but i'm really not sure what to be looking for.

i would kinda like something to tow the RX with, but i dunno if i can handle going from an Audi S4 to a pick-up.

this is Ohio, so 4WD or AWD would be better, looking to stay under $30k...doesn't have to be new...and of course aftermarket capability and some comfort would be nice.

Guest racinbird
Originally posted by Zeitgeist:

$30k is a hell of a "beater" ;)

Thats what I was thinking too, if my beater was a mere 30k car, hell my weekend warrior would be.....?

You should save me the heartache of not being able to afford the truck I'm looking at right now.

Immke's used lot at Sawmill and 270 has a mint 2001 Tundra for $22k. Fully loaded, 4x4, V8, extended cab with suicide doors, leather, bucket seats, AC, cruise, power steering, power windows, power locks, power seat, cd/cassette, TRD Offroad package, and towing package. 60,000 miles. It's just barely out of my price range, otherwise I probably would have bought it today.

Tow rating on that truck is I believe 7,000lbs which would be plenty to haul your RX7 on an open trailer. Most comfortable and reliable truck you will ever sit in.

Originally posted by SHIEF:

Nissan Titan smile.gif

Go talk to Tom Stock at Nissan North. He's the finance manager, and my dad ;)

The Titan has some aftermarket right now, exhaust and shit. Cool truck, runs 15.6 out of the box smile.gif

-Marc

Originally posted by MadMalibu:

Go talk to Tom Stock at Nissan North. He's the finance manager, and my dad ;)

The Titan has some aftermarket right now, exhaust and shit. Cool truck, runs 15.6 out of the box smile.gif

-Marc

Tom is a good guy to work with. Speaking from expirence that is. graemlins/thumb.gif

Originally posted by 1Quik7:

i know the newer Import pick-ups have been getting some good reviews...i have yet to take a look at any...i wonder if there will vere be an aftermarket for them?

http://www.trdusa.com/

http://www.performanceproducts4trucks.com/Default.aspx

There's more out there, that's just two quick things that popped up. The 4.7 V8 in the Tundra is based off the DOHC 4.0 that's in the Lexus LS400, and those are still running strong. It's a bullitproof engine. I would suggest at least taking a look at one.

Originally posted by Rotarded:

Steve, How much do you want for the S4. Seriously, I've been looking to dump the Saturn beater, and was looking at the A4s.

Michael

i don't really think you want it anymore...i guess one or both of the turbos are on their way out...which is why i wanna get rid of it.

Originally posted by 1Quik7:

i don't really think you want it anymore...i guess one or both of the turbos are on their way out...which is why i wanna get rid of it.

Ick. That just means he can get it for even cheaper and put a set of K04's on it.

I was actually wondering why you were getting rid of the S4. Have you thought about putting K04's on it, or do you just want something new?

Mike, we need to talk about this car. graemlins/thumb.gif

A half ton extended cab standard bed (used to be known as a short bed aka 6 3/4') 4 wheel drive pickup will go a long way. I love my F150. The need for a 3/4 ton depends on how much you need to tow. My truck drives great, has excellent visibility, and I don't have to worry about hauling fire-wood or a new piece of furniture that my woman decides to buy. Now if gas milage is an issue think about something else, I got 16 MPG calculated today for a week of city driving, not bad for what it is, but not great compared to the entire industry. If you need that utilitarian-ness, maybe some wagon, but I wouldn't tow very much without a pickup.

Originally posted by copperhead:

You are funny, Joe.

I'm comparing to a quad-cab dualy, large 1 ton diesel truck, etc.

That, and I drive a 04 E250 daily and don't find it to be that large, so I guess it has to do w/ perspective a bit too.

i would love to go with a big diesel heavy-duty...but those suckers aren't cheap...unless you get 'em with a ton of miles.

i've been looking at the Chevy SS...i hate Chevy, but it's kinda comfortable, anyone have any experience with these?