police autctions

Berto

Yeah the cars that are at the police auctions are the cars that none of the police wanted. So their not normally good cars. An old friend of mines parents are cops and thats what her dad told me.

The ones I have been to are mostly old police cars. There were some other cars there and a few trucks. The people were stupid in my opinion, they ran the prices so high that you could get a really nice car off of a used car lot for the same price. And the old police cars were being bought by taxi companies, they were going from 5k to 6k.

i went to a police auction in newark this past spring...the smaller the town the better. less people bidding, smaller town equal smaller bids for the most part. the highest bid at that auction was $750. for 97' ford ranger splash with 85k miles and slight front end dammage.

i bought a 89' nissian maxima v6 5 speed with 90k miles for $85.00. i had to do a little work to it.(new tire, fixed the clutch, and had a key cut) but total i spent $300.00.I had a winter car.

I know they have an auto auction on Groveport RD once a week. the only thing i can tell you about that auction is that they changed there policy on bidding. now you have to buy a bidding paddle before you can see the cars. It's a $50.00 fee but you can use it all year, so don't do it until January.

There is another auto auction near the airport right after 5th ave. it's kind of a pain to find if you have never been there before. the cars are not as nice as the groveport rd place but they go for less money.

Are you talking about the impound auction or the state vehicle auction. They are different, the impound auction happens about every 90 days. Typically the cars have no keys, and you are issued a salvage title. When I was a locksmith I use to go up there and sit at the Franklin County auction to make keys for the cars. I don't remember the minium bid on the cars, or if there was one. There were some additional fees tat had to be paid in addition to the purchase price of the car. If you are going, take a trailer, with a winch. They WILL NOT let you drive the cars from the lot, and you can't tow them out with a chain. They must leave on a tow dolly minimium.

it was an impound auction in Newark, so no keys. I have a friend who towed it home for me. I got keys cut for $90.00 from a local locksmith. it had a salvaged title but you can pay a $55. fee at the bmv to have the car inspected by the state highway patrol(they do this at the alum creek bmv location) and when the car is oked they issue a "rebuilt title". which just means it was a salvage but it is road worthy.

The Groveport road auction is mainly repo's and insurance "dammaged" cars... it just depends on bank who has the title to the car as far as the total selling price. usually it's based on what's left on the balance of the loan or black book value. They will ususally go as low as half of the balance.

If you're looking for a good deal on a factory-return vehicle(lease return, 23-25k miles), keep an eye out at the auction on Jackson Pike.

I worked there as a Ford factory return inspector and some of the cars coming back from rental leases are in incredible shape. They also do Nissan, VW, and various bank-lease return vehicles.

Only dealers can bid on the lease return vehicles, so set up a deal ahead of time with someone who has a dealers license. They bid, you pay. Or you could try the repo auctions on Wednesdays.