Gtech- who's got one?

Mark1647545493

So who's got one of these? I bought one on EBay for $33 shipped. I tried it in my 01 Ranger witht the 4.0L and it pulled 175HP. I figured that was probably about right since Ford rates the 4.0 at 210hp. I can't wait till traffic dies down on 270 and I can try it in the Stang.

Here's a link to what I'm talking about.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7972765439&category=33598

Originally posted by Great Googley Moogley:

4.0 in ranger is only rated at 165 the explorer 4.0 is rated at 210

Sorry I did misquote the HP of my truck. In 2001 Ford rated the 4.0L in the Ranger at 207hp which was a bump up from the 99/00 Ranger that had 197hp.

Curious, where did you come up with 165? The 3.0L is 148hp and the 4 banger is 143hp.

Huh...I've got the first one too...had it since WAY back when they first came out nearly 10 years ago...and I'm still continually amazed at how well it works. The problem with the first gen ones like the e-bay link above is that you have to be overly anal about setup and leveling of the device. With the newer ones it's a no brainer as it self levels when you set it rather than you needing to level it yourself.

I had great success with mine in a variety of vehicles. I even ran it at Trails and it was never further than .1 off in either direction. MPH is alwyas going to read high on the G-tech because it calculates absolute MPH and not an average like the track does...but it's a great device esp for tuning and determining if mods make a difference.

And for the price...it's hard to not pick up the old version...althouth the new one in RR trim does some sweet stuff like lap times and other cool functions to help evaluate performance on your PC after runs....the origional is still adequate for evaluating performance through tuning and mods.

AGain...the key to the origional version is being overly anal about setup and it will produce great results.

Andy

Originally posted by AudiOn19s:

the key to the origional version is being overly anal about setup and it will produce great results.[/QB]

I agree with this statement. Also it only works on flat road. If you start going up a hill it'll give you crazy readings.

Nismo- What about it didn't you like? For $33 i tought it was well worth the price. I'm even considering getting the newer version.

Originally posted by Mustang_Nutt:

Sorry I did misquote the HP of my truck. In 2001 Ford rated the 4.0L in the Ranger at 207hp which was a bump up from the 99/00 Ranger that had 197hp.

Curious, where did you come up with 165? The 3.0L is 148hp and the 4 banger is 143hp.

opps my bad. though the 4.0 had less hp

The one thing that it will do, as long as its mounted the same place for every test run is a gauge for tuning. If the ET goes down then you are going faster, same thing when you are tuning too far and the numbers start to fall off.

As far as HP, I have seen 480 HP numbers in the Durango. Now that was peak, and it did it in first gear. So the HP numbers are a bit questionable in that reguard. But the ET and Trap speed seemed to be dead on every time on flat ground.

i have one also and +one billion on calibration. you have to be so anal about it i take it to a scale house and get the exact weight of me and the car (or if i have riders) before i event try to use it. i like mine its always fairly acurate for me.

good buy

Mustang_Nutt.... I bought mine for something like $130 a few years ago. To be completly honest I have only used it a handfull of times so I'll have to retract my previous statement. Maybe I'm the POS who can't use it properly. If everyone else is having good luck with it then I'm just not paying enough attention to the set-up.