To each their own

Guest mudbutt

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rane

Prefrence. Maybe I don't want some big ass old muscle car? Personally I would love it but some other people wouldn't. Build a fast ford festiva, man I mideaswell put a cardboard box on wheels and drive it. If someone likes a certian cars styling. Or learned about that car first, chances are there going to like it. I see WAY more mustangs then I do honda's. There has got to be like 5 of them on every street. But in then end that still doesn't matter.

I got a 240sx because I like how it looks and that is one of the first cars I started reading about. You probably got a mustang or muscle car because in the end you like how it looked and you had enough information about that car to really start liking it. No car has any potential, because I'm pretty sure its been proven else where your cars potential is only limited to your pockets. And if the guy wanted a 13-14second car and achived that it wouldn't matter if he could be going faster in another car as long as he really likes the one he is in. Most of you wouldn't buy a civic, neither would I. But I also wouldn't buy a Mustang, Neon, CRX, etc. The list goes on of cars that are to common or I just wouldn't like to own. I enjoy see'ing any car go fast, Neons and Civics included. Some look nice, doesn't mean I'd want one. That Richocet guy on here has a nice looking civic and seems to enjoy it, if you guys didn't flame him for his car of choice on "OMg you could have a faster car for less!" he might tell you why.

AWD beats out everything. sorry but it's true. and i know the N/A dsm's were slugs, but the turbo models are true sports cars. i have a talon that is easily a 12 second car(ran 13.10@103 on pump at 17psi with stock ecu and intake) i personally have less than $1k in the car. i also believe it could hang with many cars in autox due to it's light weight and awd grip. i just hope that Ben can get this car runnin faster than me.

Originally posted by Fastest Bench on CR:

[QB]AWD beats out everything. sorry but it's true. QB]

If thats true then why doesn't nascar, cart, irl, F1 , etc... use AWD. Also why would Porsche make the race inspired gt2 and gt3 rwd instead of the AWD thats in the lesser Turbo model. Because AWD is not that great in roadracing. Only in the rain do they have a advantage.

Originally posted by Doug:

If thats true then why doesn't nascar, cart, irl, F1 , etc... use AWD. Also why would Porsche make the race inspired gt2 and gt3 rwd instead of the AWD thats in the lesser Turbo model. Because AWD is not that great in roadracing. Only in the rain do they have a advantage.

And in cutting a good 60' with less driver skill.

Musn't forget that!

Guest Tony_K
Originally posted by Fastest Bench on CR:

AWD beats out everything. sorry but it's true. and i know the N/A dsm's were slugs, but the turbo models are true sports cars. i have a talon that is easily a 12 second car(ran 13.10@103 on pump at 17psi with stock ecu and intake) i personally have less than $1k in the car. i also believe it could hang with many cars in autox due to it's light weight and awd grip. i just hope that Ben can get this car runnin faster than me.

Sorry bud,

A talon TSI is not really that well-suited for autox. I drove one quite a bit back when they were new. They are nose-heavy, have a high center of gravity compared to better autox cars, the steering does not give good feedback, and spooling up the turbo can be a pain in a tight course.

As for AWD, the power lost in the drivetrain and the excess weight often cancel out any traction advantages. Good tires will do much more for grip than AWD. Once again, if AWD were better, every purpose-built race car would have it.

Cheers,

TK

Originally posted by Bananular:

Sorry Jess, going to have to agree with ridenred on the DSM thing. I've seen some decent ones, but 90% of the DSM's I see are either riced out or driven by highschool girls.

I thought the whole point of this thread, and this board, and liking performance cars, was about a car and it's potential and not the people who happen to drive them 90% of the time as you say.

There are a few things that are important for me when picking out a performance car.

1) Capability for it to do what I want it to do (Mud Butt's whole point).

2) Cost

3) Availability of TONS of parts that don't cost an arm and a leg.

4) Lots of information. Being original with a car is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

5) Ergonomics and drivability.

6) To a lesser importance looks.

Things that I don't give two shits about when picking out a performance car.

1) Whether 99% of the people who drive a car like me are turds, rice out their cars, have small penises or are ditzy high school chicks. I have to worry about none of those for me and that's about the only person I give a shit about. If you see me driving down the road and yell something about me based off of one of those stereotypes you won’t get much more than my middle finger. If you say something like that during a conversation without knowing me very well you probably won’t get much more than me humiliating you emotionally and walking away.

2) What other retards think about my car, including many of you. John, your a nice guy, don't get me wrong. If you like my car and compliment on it, that’s great. If you don't I could care less. If your basing your conclusions about my car or me based upon said stereotypes from 2 then you’re an idiot, refer to 3.

3) What any of you retards think period pretty much, about anything.

This is the same type of mentality that racism is based off of, good job on learning anything about people during your lifetime if you think like this.

I think that about covers what someone who is truly interested in cars from a performance standpoint should keep in the forefront of their minds instead of letting their stereotypes and puny brains dictate to them what's ‘cool’ and what's not.

see the festiva thing is not a look thing its a sleeper thing i love a sleeper. plus this is a daily drivin car if it runs 12,s or it runs 14,s spinning the tires due to the wrong wheel drive it is still a street car that would shock people. besides the shock factor of being owned by a pos festiva. poke fun at my fastiva i have had it for 6 years im use to it.

as far as a 1k awd dsm that is a rare deal if and when you find such a car they normaly are real ruff but they are out there

see i have a open mind to cars which is why i have so damn many of them. 71 maverick ,67 cougar,71 galixie,69 impala,89 probe gt,91 festiva,86 gti,89 cabby,79f-2504x4,82 mustang gt,91 samuri,and three quads. with the exception of a few of these i have them because they are diffrent and not all that common.

i agree with rane to a point normaly people are into the first car they read,owned,or learned about. i dont look down on anybodys car if there not a ricer tool ignorant prick. im into modding any thing if it can be made faster handle better or just look better game on

The whole point of the other thread he is referring to here is "What can I do to make my daily driver faster". Key point is "daily driver". Call me crazy, but I'm not doing an engine swap into a car for a daily driver. If you are young, in high school/college/whatever, 99% of the those people don't have the time/money/resources to plunk into a daily driver. They need it reliable and probably good on gas. Yes, there are exceptions and many of you probably have a car like this as a daily driver, but it's not the norm and it sure wouldn't be my idea of a good thing. smile.gif

My response in the original thread of "Sell it, save your money for a performance car" is what I would do. Why? Well, the whole daily driver thing for one. As I've said before, I drove shit cars in high school and part of college. Work hard, pay your dues, get a good paying job, then go nuts with the performance cars. I honestly just can't see spending money on a car that's not a performance car to begin with, especially at that age and cash flow. But that is my opinion.

This subject has been beat to death on this site many, many times. Ususally ever couple months someone brings it up. People seem to forget that most everything that is said here is opinion. You have to have thick skin and get over what someone else thinks/says. I would never consider modding a Honda. Why? It's not my thing and I have the resources to mod other vehicles more worthy (in my opinion, of course) of modding for performance. Hence my 1989 Dodge Colt will always remain stock and great little commuter car. That doesn't mean you can't mod your FWD economy car. ;)

The title of the thread says it all... graemlins/thumb.gif

Originally posted by The Great Milenko:

DSM's = *** Suck

The Great Milenko has show me the way. I refute my previous post and after work am going to burn my car.

I still think that Donkey is full shit though.

My spider monkey army would have kicked his ass.

Originally posted by Doug:

You don't seem to remember the audi's Spanking so much ass in scca that they kept changing the rules untill they could no longer compete.

Originally posted by buckeye:

You don't seem to remember the audi's Spanking so much ass in scca that they kept changing the rules untill they could no longer compete.

Times have changed. Ever thought that the car was just a all around better car not just the AWD.

Audi still competes and they are decently competetive in the RS6 but get smack around by the caddys

Check out this link

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0403scc_uscc00/

Two little 4 banger dsm's pwn'ing cars that cost much more than them base.

You cannot over look the bang for the buck of a dsm, period. You can find a 1g awd for 2-3K in good condition and have the thing running 11-12 sec passes for another 4-5K. The motor has more than proved itself and w/ a little love to the internals of the tranny your all set.

Just b/c something doesn't come w/ a v8 in it doesn't mean its not a sports car. A majority of really fast cars in columbus are powered by 4 or 6 cylinders.

Saying awd sucks is just silly. In some instances there certainly are disadvantages. Take for instance

N-on

A-thletic

S-port

C-entered

A-round

R-ednecks

having an awd to go fast in a huge left turn would certainly not be a good idea, theres just no need for it. Now throw those very same nascar drivers on a road course w/ a few equally powered awd cars and see who does the owning. Awd cars do great autocrossing. Everytime i go there i see tons of wrx's holding their own. Yes a pregnant roller skate Miata will do extremely well considering its size and perfect weight distribution, but who wants to drive a miata other than my mom? Take a look at rally racing, how many fwd or rwd cars do well in it?? Less than 5%? The sport is dominated by awd. Awd owns in bad weather, rain or snow. How many of you awd guys garage your car in the winter?? Bet not as much as the rwd/fwd crew does.

What do I look for in a true sports car

1)Potential with mods

2)Fun to drive

3)Looks as well as it performs(who wants to drive a turd just b/c its fast down a strip)

4)Has a well engineered suspension/brake package

5)Well built, so my first mod isn't breaking shit

Originally posted by Mr Blunt 2gnt:

Saying awd sucks is just silly. In some instances there certainly are disadvantages. Take for instance

N-on

A-thletic

S-port

C-entered

A-round

R-ednecks

having an awd to go fast in a huge left turn would certainly not be a good idea, theres just no need for it. Now throw those very same nascar drivers on a road course w/ a few equally powered awd cars and see who does the owning. Awd cars do great autocrossing. Everytime i go there i see tons of wrx's holding their own. Yes a pregnant roller skate Miata will do extremely well considering its size and perfect weight distribution, but who wants to drive a miata other than my mom? Take a look at rally racing, how many fwd or rwd cars do well in it?? Less than 5%? The sport is dominated by awd. Awd owns in bad weather, rain or snow. How many of you awd guys garage your car in the winter?? Bet not as much as the rwd/fwd crew does.

I don't think anybody said they suck. Were getting off topic but I don't think I would consider any car in WRC and a true sports car. AWD isn't great for autocross (maybe in the rain), but They tend to understeer. In Best of Motoring they kept saying how much they disliked the severe understeer tendency's of the STI and EVO.

Originally posted by O'Rourke:

graemlins/wtf.gif

Rb20 powered 240sx

9-10 sec 2g gsx

Low 12sec Neon

A few bpu supras

A few fast 300zx's

A 3000gt that no one wants to give prop's to

Marc's Evo

Cory's Honda

Tons of fast dsm's, evo's and wrx's

Turbo hondas are now a dime a dozen

Not every sports car in this area is rocking a solid rear axle and 350+ cubic inches. How bout having respect for fast cars regardless of whats in them? I know I do.

Can we get back on topic please. Everyone has their opinion about cars. They are entitled to it, even if it is about pink paint and a big wing.

Getting slap happy about some one elses opinion, will get you edited. Subsiquent offences will get you a strike.

Yes, if you think I am an asshole you are correct. But I am still the Mod, so get over it.

Originally posted by Mr Blunt 2gnt:

Rb20 powered 240sx

9-10 sec 2g gsx

Low 12sec Neon

A few bpu supras

A few fast 300zx's

A 3000gt that no one wants to give prop's to

Marc's Evo

Cory's Honda

Tons of fast dsm's, evo's and wrx's

Turbo hondas are now a dime a dozen

Not every sports car in this area is rocking a solid rear axle and 350+ cubic inches. How bout having respect for fast cars regardless of whats in them? I know I do.

Who said I have no respect for fast cars? I don't care one way or the other about the import vs. domestic thing. Go to trails on a saturday and then tell me that the majority of "really fast" cars in Columbus are 4 and 6 cylinders, or just dig up the results of the King of Columbus races. ;)