Separating the enthusiast from the poseur

Guest Tony_K

Guest Tony_K

Thanks Jesse for the idea for a new thread:

What are the top 5 things you look for in a performance car?

graemlins/popcorn.gif

i'm not an enthusiest per say, i admit i don't like turning too much.

1. a solid (and easily modifiable) engine

2. RWD

3. solid rear axle

4. Good aftermarket following

5. looks good.

Originally posted by B Dubs:

1. Good platform to modify (potential)

2. Knowledge of how a car works, and how to work on your car.

3. Time and effort

4. Care

5. All out speed

Couldnt have said it better.

-Marc

1. Yanks front tire.

2. An engine bay that does not require removal of 13 parts to get to the one you wanted to remove.

3. Uses parts that I can walk into Jegs (even the one on Main St) and buy.

4. Doesn't look like 800 other vehicles in any given town.

5. RWD.

Guest mudbutt

1.)potential

2.)cost(both parts and vehicle)

3.)adaptability (for what I want to do with it)or this could just be picking the RIGHT car for what I want to do

4.)a decent knowledge base of other owners(no matter how bad ass you think you are, you have taken atleast something from someone else for what works and what doesnt

5.)is it fun? This kind of wraps up some previous statements, but If you only want to drag race, then a civic isnt exactly fun. Now if you want to autocross or run a road course, it can be. The converse goes for say a 72 nova. You may be able to run 10 second 1/4 miles, but it isnt going to be really fun if you like cornering(yes you can put bad ass suspension on them, but Im referring to a similar to factory layout)

speaking of Nova. Just remember, it was the "econo-box" of it's day....

Guest Rane

1)Style, I am gonna have to like how it looks.

2)Either an uncommon car or something newer that hasn't been fully explored by the performance market.

3) Doesn't run out of gas while driving just down the street.

4)Doesn't break while driving down the street and will never need to ride on a trailor to a track.

5) You don't see a ton of highschool girls with it.

I have a 90' 240sx, and if I could get a car around those 5 things I'd prolly get a 350z.

Guest stevil
Originally posted by Tony_K:

What are the top 5 things you look for in a performance car?

Glad we're starting off with a performance car, takes care of alot of criteria right there. ;)

1. Aftermarket/Potential, these go hand in hand

2. Quality/Reliability, can't be an infamous money pit

3. Good performance, doesn't suck ass compared to it's competition/class

4. Looks & sounds good, has to appeal to me

5. Affordable, the determining factor for choosing Pontiac over Porsche

1. Quick to begin with. I think that is what seperates a Performance Vehicle from economy vehicles.

2. There MUST be a fairly large and well reputed internet forum dedicated to aforementioned vehicle.

3. RWD. I guess you are all allowed to have whatever opinions you want, but since it's so much easier to find a performance RWD car than it is a FWD car, it's not worth the hassle of being "different"

4. Late eighties-early nineties. Dunno about you guys, but that's when japanese designers had their shit down, Cars AND Bikes (Well, Ok, maybe only my bike, but shut up).

5. Sub three thousand pounds. Anything above that should be considered "Grand touring".

Originally posted by Bananular:

1. Quick to begin with. I think that is what seperates a Performance Vehicle from economy vehicles.

2. There MUST be a fairly large and well reputed internet forum dedicated to aforementioned vehicle.

3. RWD. I guess you are all allowed to have whatever opinions you want, but since it's so much easier to find a performance RWD car than it is a FWD car, it's not worth the hassle of being "different"

4. Late eighties-early nineties. Dunno about you guys, but that's when japanese designers had their shit down, Cars AND Bikes (Well, Ok, maybe only my bike, but shut up).

5. Sub three thousand pounds. Anything above that should be considered "Grand touring".

Shaddup Poseur. tongue.gif

Mabey early 90's late 80's for imports, but anything 1985 and older for domestics...

-Marc

Guest aftermidnight

1.RWD

2.MT OR easily converted

3.V-8

4.how far can you push it hard before it starts to bend in a corner

5.do chicks like to have sex on the hood.... :eek::D