Tire wear...

03spydr

So I was having a little problem with vibration at highway speed. It's been getting worse recently and I took it to the dealer to see what the deal was. They balanced the tires with no improvement. They did an alignment with no improvement. The service manager feels that it is due to premature tire wear and refers me to Bridgestone. The front tires are cupped and the rear tires are feathered. Bridgestone refers me back to Toyota because they say it's a vehicle design issue. Between the inability to rotate the tires and the camber on the rear, they say it's Toyota's fault. Anyway, the tires are W rated and have no mileage warranty anyway. So I decide to start looking into a new set of tires for when the vibration is unbearable or the wear bars start showing. If the nature of this car is to go through a set of tires every 25,000 miles, I'm going to get some tires with a nice long warranty. Wrong... the only commercially available tire in that size is the exact make and model that's on it...without any kind of warranty. So basically the tire could melt down to the wear bars by the time I hit the end of the parking lot and I'm up the proverbial creek without a paddle. Wouldn't be too bad if it weren't $750 for a new set of tires. Chalk it up to the cost of ownership I guess.

Any ideas?

Just figured I would vent a little.

Originally posted by 03PEEdr:

215/45/16 in the rear

185/55/15 in the front

Why don't you just change up the sizes a little bit. I am sure that you could increase the width of them a tad and keep the same over all height.

It's a project, but it may be worth your money.

basically ur going to get the shaft with your current tires. i'd go with the 225/45's and make sure that they are the same tire all the way around so you can rotate them. the only reason your tires are cupped is because of th elack of rotation. (more than likely) unless you have a blown strut which i doubt.