questions for people with rotaries?

Guest DanTheMan212000

Guest DanTheMan212000

I am looking for a good dash kit for my rx7 that has good fitment, and has all areas covered. The best one I found was at torasport.com, but they don't make a piece that covers the area below the radio to the shifter. I don't think I like that too much. i know there are better kits out there, just can't find the sites. Also for future planning, does anyone know of a site that sells 20b cosmo engines?

I am planning on that for my future engine.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There will be plenty of Rx7 guys (e.g., Mike, aka Rotarded) that will undoubtedly hop in here and give you lots of good advice.

On another note, after you get the 20b, then be sure to visit streetracingdayton.com = you'll be instantly deified by the squirrel masses there.

Tons of labor and custom fabrication, and RX7's are expensive cars to get worked on.

Mike isn't shitting, the # I've always seen thrown around is 20-25k. You know what kind of setup you could have keeping the 13b with that kind of money?

Maybe I should keep my mouth shut in case this person is one of the very few who makes wild claims of what they will do that actually has the money and effort to do it. Mike and the RX7 store could stand to make alot of money and get some good publicity. But, I doubt it.

Mike was telling me yesterday that they charge a couple grand just to swap motors, with NO other work done. Dropping in a motor that wasn't ever intended to be in the car involves a shit ton of custom fabrication, and hours and hours and hours of labor.

i think it would probably cost more than $20k(well maybe for a stock 20B and turbos, but not a built set)...if it didn't cost that much i'd have one by now :D

i'm going with an LS1..LS7..LS2000 whatever it is in the near future. the rotary motor is just too much of a 'bitch'

from what ive seen 20k is cheap for a 20b and install. ive seen on rx7 club people spending 35k+ on this

anyone- whats the point of a 20b other then a dyno queen :D more reliable at 500 hp???

I was speaking in the "least" terms, as in take the used motor and mate it up with the FD drivetrain. No porting, no turbo upgrade,no fuel upgrade, just bolt it in (yeah, like it's that easy :rolleyes: ), plumb it, wire it, and make it run.

35k and you'll have a properly built and reinforced driveline putting down 700 RWHP, at under 18 psi boost. Not including car, wheels or tires.

Originally posted by Rotarded:

I was speaking in the "least" terms, as in take the used motor and mate it up with the FD drivetrain. No porting, no turbo upgrade,no fuel upgrade, just bolt it in (yeah, like it's that easy :rolleyes: ), plumb it, wire it, and make it run.

35k and you'll have a properly built and reinforced driveline putting down 700 RWHP, at under 18 psi boost. Not including car, wheels or tires.

Sheit, you be a trippin jive turkey. I put one in my eff-two-fidday for tree-fidday. Yous jus tryin ta stick it to da man.

Guest jpurdy2003
Originally posted by RexSeven:

Also for future planning, does anyone know of a site that sells 20b cosmo engines?

I am planning on that for my future engine.

I'll have a FWD LS1 in my Chrysler Lebaron before this happens.

Guest DanTheMan212000
I have been doing alot of reading while I've been here about the 20b. The main reason is because of reliability reasons and the fact that you can make alot more horsepower than the 13b with less boost.Less work on the engine.It's like doing a v6 to a v8 swap on a piston engine. I have been told by people and read that the 20b takes the rx7 to a whole new level. And for those who don't believe I could do it, maybe not. Just a plan. If I do another plan I am thinking about and coming back over here to Iraq for another year as a civilian and make 125,000 tax free dollars, it will happen. Now that I know it costs that much. Wow, but I heard it is worth it.

Will do you have 25k just sitting around?

I'm guessing no, I'm not trying to insult you either. 25k just sitting around means that there is nothing else you could put that money into to make better use of it than a 20B swap.

Be smart, invest a good chunk of that 125k into retirement, stocks, or buy a house. I'd personally do the last one. Paid off house=the win.

I'm not saying don't have a little fun with your money either. Take 10 or 15k and put it into your RX7, do a set of twins with a built motor or a single turbo. That should be plenty fast enough, and if done right, reliable enough too. I honestly don't know the numbers off of the top of my head of what it would cost to do that, but if you can't do it for that much, everyone of you are driving the wrong car (rx7). Except for people who can do their own work like Mike.

I've looked at the fab jobs for doing the 20b install in my FC, it's pricey but if you do a lot of the work yourself it's just a matter of time, that's the majority of the bitch of working on it. Having someone else do it for you is the kicker part, im going to end up building my FC up to a certain point then selling it to get an FD come sometime next year or this fall/winter. Spending the cash on an FD just makes a lot more sense then it does on my FC, better looking, stronger platform, etc. More expensive tho but if it's for the car you want meh whatever.

If you're wanting to do that kind of swap, check out everything involved, talk to the shops, people in forums, rx-7club urks the shit outta me, i like nopistons a lot better but that's just me. If you post over in the 3rd gen area there they can give you the low-down since people do all types of swaps in that area.

Oh and by time, I mean a lot of time. Joe (FC_Joe) From here did a lot of fab work on his rx-7 by himself. It's taken him a couple years to get his car to the point it's at now, that's with a standalone, turbo job, exhaust, you name it he about did it. I think the only thing he hasn't done is replace the seals and port his engine out. If you are up for fabbing it's an undertaking but can be done, but if youre just dead set on having it done by a shop check out the rx-7 store. Mike over there is a good guy and from what i've seen does good work.

T.c.

Guest DanTheMan212000
I have been thinking about it today and I will probably get home, finish my car and love it the way it is. I didn't think it would cost that much. Before I even should think of something crazy like that, I need to get used to my car anyway. It definately has plenty enough power right now. I will still ask around,for the knowledge but will put it more on a thought level than a plan. It doesn't help that I am over here. Alot of my off time I read about my car.I get crazy ideas. A house would be a better idea than that expensive swap. It is rather crazy.