What do I say to contest a ticket in court?

Guest nevarmore

Guest nevarmore
Originally posted by STR8 H8:

[QB]HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA! Cruise Control OWNZ JOO!/QB]

My cruise control, traction control, ABS, and stability management system are wrapped up in a size 10 1/2 steel toe boot.

Originally posted by Rotary Jihad:

My cruise control, traction control, ABS, and stability management system are wrapped up in a size 10 1/2 steel toe boot.

13 here smile.gif

I don't know about yall, but when I lived in Cleveland, I had a friend who had gotten 6 different tickets within 2 months. He went to court and they never showed up.. I am kinda hoping that they do that down here as I have to go to court tomorrow..Wish me luck. And yea, Lyndhurst is a speed trap. I got tagged there once and I told the cop that I was lost and trying to find my way home. Worked for me..lol

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, as the owner of thirty-six violations in the past three years and one conviction (to the tune of two whole points, yay!) I feel obligated to throw in my two cents. Plead not guilty, because the prosecutor will not even talk to you on your arraignment date, then when scheduled for trial, ask if you can plead to a no points violation.. Make it clear that you understand there will be a fine, but leave it at that. If he doesn't budge, or balks at your offer because of your driving record, wait to see if the officer shows up. About 40% of the time (in my experience in Franklin Co. anyways) they don't. If he/she does, then the prosecutor will confer with the officer, and mention your proposal. Unless the cop hates you, you were a total dick when you got pulled over, or the cop is a total dick, usually they'll agree. If not, ask for a continuance to obtain council. Usually, they break. If not, leave and come back a few minutes later, ask to change your plea to no contest, pay the fine, and deal with it.

Should I patent this? :cool:

Guest nevarmore

Thanks for the advice guys. Unfortunately I'm trying like hell to find a job. I used the 4 hours I would have wasted in court dropping off resumes' and kissing ass.

The next one I'll have to contest though. Too many damn points.

SlowZ06: Damn. 36:1. I don't know wether to call you a moron for getting caught 36 times or a genuis for weaseling out of 35 of them. Rock on. :D

Guest Porterhouse

A lot of columbus cops give out B.S. tickets so they can get the overtime for going to court when people fight them [/QB]

Really? ...... how many is "a lot"?

Do you know what the City of Columbus' "show-up" policy is for municipal court? I am guessing from that statement that you dont.

[ 06. June 2004, 02:15 AM: Message edited by: Porterhouse ]

Guest nevarmore
Porterhouse, since you're new I'll warn you before a mod does. Instead of insulting people who don't know, inform them that they are wrong then TELL US WHAT IS CORRECT. It doesn't do a damn bit of good for anyone to just know that someone is wrong without knowing why.

Originally posted by Rotary Jihad:

SlowZ06: Damn. 36:1. I don't know wether to call you a moron for getting caught 36 times or a genuis for weaseling out of 35 of them. Rock on. :D

Probably some of both... I just refuse to modify perfectly safe driving habits to conform to unreasonable traffic laws. 90% of the ones I got were going to/from work through a construction zone; driving an SS camaro or a red Corvette and exceeding the ridiculous 45 MPH limit by 5 MPH = ticket. I understand safety issues, but putting up orange barrels and blocking half of the goddamn road when no one is working on it for weeks at a time is unreasonable. :mad:

Originally posted by SlowZ06:

Probably some of both... I just refuse to modify perfectly safe driving habits to conform to unreasonable traffic laws. 90% of the ones I got were going to/from work through a construction zone; driving an SS camaro or a red Corvette and exceeding the ridiculous 45 MPH limit by 5 MPH = ticket. I understand safety issues, but putting up orange barrels and blocking half of the goddamn road when no one is working on it for weeks at a time is unreasonable. :mad:

I agree, I hate that too. In other states, Indiana for instance, the lower limit is only enforced when people are working. They have signs that say something to the effect of follow lower speed limits when these lights are flashing and they only flash when people are actually working. It's just another BS way for the Ohio Highway Patrol to keep the huge force afloat. No offense to any cops, especially ones that do their job, but the Ohio State Highway Patrol is far too large and has far too much political influence in this state.

Guest nevarmore
Originally posted by SlowZ06:

Ya I'm the same way. My tickets are usually for about 80 on the freeway in light traffic. OHP gave me one once at 1 AM on a Thursday morning. There were less than a dozen other drivers (mostly truckers) between Columbus and Cincy when I got that one.

Guest Porterhouse

No insult intended at all. I dont agree with the blanket statement that B.S. citations are written by Columbus offers just to get overtime at court.

The City of Columbus pays out in excess of $1 million dollars every year in overtime to officers just for court. The sheer size of Columbus makes municipal court here the most congested docket in the state. To relieve the system of countless trials, plea bargains are done in the morning to cut down the size of the daily docket, and trials are set for the afternoon. In effort to keep the overtime expenditure as small as possible, whenever an officer is issued a subpeona for a municpal court appearance, the City has that officer call in to court in the morning to see if the prosecutor has requested them at court for the afternoon trial sessions. Occasionally a trial will be set for the morning, to which the officer will show. Of all charges that go through municipal court ..... be it citations or criminal charges such as assault, domestic violence, etc ..... less than 10% of the time will the prosecutor request the officer to show up. The majority of the time, charges are plead away without the officer having any input as to the outcome of the case.

Additionally, contrary to popular belief, there is no ticket quota with CPD. Officers do not get additional pay for the number of tickets they have written. Selective enforcement for a particular area is often driven by complaints generated by citizens, businesses, community groups, the State for special enforcement projects such as the one over the past holiday.

Are some citations ridiculous? ..... sure. It goes in the same vain as the one or two guys that do John Force burnouts or bust bottles in lots where everybody cruises ..... a few bad knuckleheads give that impression that everyone involved is a knucklehead, and we all know that is not the reality. The same can be said for officers, not all write B.S. tickets.

My disagreement with the statement that "a lot of Columbus cops give out B.S. tickets so they can get the overtime for going to court" is not an insult. In my opinion, it is an inaccurate generalization ..... nothing more, nothing less.

To answer the question that I am guessing will come next .... yes, I am a Columbus police officer, I have been for 14 years. I have had hotrods since I could drive. I have raced with the NMRA, I have been going to Trails for years. I have been late night cruising for years. Is my car "street legal"? .... only in the broadest use of the term. But I know that, and will accept the consequences as they come.

Originally posted by Porterhouse:

No insult intended at all. I dont agree with the blanket statement that B.S. citations are written by Columbus offers just to get overtime at court.

The City of Columbus pays out in excess of $1 million dollars every year in overtime to officers just for court. The sheer size of Columbus makes municipal court here the most congested docket in the state. To relieve the system of countless trials, plea bargains are done in the morning to cut down the size of the daily docket, and trials are set for the afternoon. In effort to keep the overtime expenditure as small as possible, whenever an officer is issued a subpeona for a municpal court appearance, the City has that officer call in to court in the morning to see if the prosecutor has requested them at court for the afternoon trial sessions. Occasionally a trial will be set for the morning, to which the officer will show. Of all charges that go through municipal court ..... be it citations or criminal charges such as assault, domestic violence, etc ..... less than 10% of the time will the prosecutor request the officer to show up. The majority of the time, charges are plead away without the officer having any input as to the outcome of the case.

Additionally, contrary to popular belief, there is no ticket quota with CPD. Officers do not get additional pay for the number of tickets they have written. Selective enforcement for a particular area is often driven by complaints generated by citizens, businesses, community groups, the State for special enforcement projects such as the one over the past holiday.

Are some citations ridiculous? ..... sure. It goes in the same vain as the one or two guys that do John Force burnouts or bust bottles in lots where everybody cruises ..... a few bad knuckleheads give that impression that everyone involved is a knucklehead, and we all know that is not the reality. The same can be said for officers, not all write B.S. tickets.

My disagreement with the statement that "a lot of Columbus cops give out B.S. tickets so they can get the overtime for going to court" is not an insult. In my opinion, it is an inaccurate generalization ..... nothing more, nothing less.

To answer the question that I am guessing will come next .... yes, I am a Columbus police officer, I have been for 14 years. I have had hotrods since I could drive. I have raced with the NMRA, I have been going to Trails for years. I have been late night cruising for years. Is my car "street legal"? .... only in the broadest use of the term. But I know that, and will accept the consequences as they come.

That doesn't mean the guy up there on Polaris Parkway doesn't sit there and give tickets for anything and everything because he likes the overtime pay. No generalization. Did I say all? No I did not.

Also, we all know that when you get a ticket in Delaware county, Franklin county will send the ticket to Delaware court depending on the situation and amount of tickets they have coming in.

Guest Porterhouse

I asked one of the court liasion officers about that ..... there is a written agreement between Delaware-Franklin-Columbus that any charges cited by CPD come to court in Franklin county.

The Highway Patrol sends tickets to the county court of which ever county they are in.

Originally posted by Porterhouse:

I asked one of the court liasion officers about that ..... there is a written agreement between Delaware-Franklin-Columbus that any charges cited by CPD come to court in Franklin county.

The Highway Patrol sends tickets to the county court of which ever county they are in.

Depends, all tickets that are given to a person that is under 18, that resides in Delaware county, the ticket is sent to Delaware County Juv. Traffic Court.

I know a few people who have had their CPD tickets sent to Delaware county traffic court due to the courts in Franklin handling too many tickets at one time. This is, if you live in Delaware county.