Cobras Suck

Mowgli1647545497

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Mowgli:

And the suede seat inserts soaks up plenty of ass-sweat as you're white-knuckle sliding sideways down rt 117 in the snowy dark, cursing mother nature for her cruel sense of humor.

That would suck. I just bought an 05 MDX on Wednesday and it's made for crappy roads and I wasn't happy about the salt trucks having their way with it last night. I would still be cussing if they abused my new CTS-V. :mad:

Originally posted by Venomss:

Congrats on the acquisition.

I don't know much about those CTS-Vs, though. Cliff notes?

Sigma Platform

4 doors

LS6 400hp engine

Tremec T56 6speed manual

3.73 geared limited slip IRS

0.9G skidpad

4.6sec 0-60mph

13.1sec quartermile

Gobs of doodads inside

Trunkmonkey

Originally posted by Eatonup:

That would suck. I just bought an 05 MDX on Wednesday and it's made for crappy roads and I wasn't happy about the salt trucks having their way with it last night. I would still be cussing if they abused my new CTS-V. :mad:

+1 And I was using all my old Navy swear words, oh yeah. But my mantra is "I drive my cars, no sitting in the garage getting wiped down with a diaper for them", so I guess I had to put my money where my mouth was. Still sucked though.

The bitch is - I woulda made it back fine before the snow hit had those "..." at the dealership not taken forever.

So anyway - all that stuff I used to argue on nere about Cobras being great n all. I take it all back :D I've joined the opposing team. I will give them all your secrets for a dolla.

[ 30. January 2005, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: Mowgli ]

So anyway - all that stuff I used to argue on nere about Cobras being great n all. I take it all back :D I've joined the opposing team. I will give them all your secrets for a dolla.

Uh oh.. :eek: Now we'll be at the mercy of Honda Civics.

3,850lbs. My seat of the pants is its slower than the Cobra. But I'm only at 113 miles on the engine so I'm still breaking it in.

It seems to initial turn in quicker but I think they're neck n neck on holding a turning G. A cool thing on the CTV-V is its got a G meter built into the dash below the tach - you can call up a display of instantaneous as well as peak Gs. I've hit so far .68 left turn and .64 right (gimme a break its one day old).

Brakes are right there - 14 inches brembos to the Cobra's 13s I think handles the extra pounds.

Seats could use side bolster and side lat adjustability like the Cobra's, and I'd appreciate a little longer seat for under my legs. But the overall feel is more comfortable for long rides, the lumbar is better, and the headrest is better.

The stereo has more doodads n stuff which is nice. I'm not going to bet its louder than the Mach460 but I haven't cranked it up. But I'd be surprised if it could keep up at high volume. Still, its a Bose so it sounds great at low to mid volumes. and its got a ton more to play with.

The vents are nicer, and the heating and ac controls have alot more adjustability.

It doesn't have a good new car smell but I think thats just the exhaust pipes getting a rude awakening on their wintertime burnin.

The traction control is orders of magnitude better than the orwellian system on the Cobra. I know all my Cobra brothers probably hated that thing as much as me. A cool thing on th eV is that hte control to turn TC off/on is a thumbswitch right on the steering wheel (the regular CTS's switch is in the glovebox). Lol are they giving me a hint?

Apparently CTS-V's suffer from wheel hop isses on launch like the Cobras, but I'm a ways from finding this out, call me back when I break it in...

The shifter is SO MUCH BETTER than the Cobra's it disgusting. But I think I was one of the folks that hated the Cobra's shifter and its placement more than most (I'd swapped it out in favor of a MGW unit anyway). But, I gotta ask - WTF WAS GM THINKING WITH THIS FRIGGING SKIPSHIFT?!?

But I really don't have alot to tell - its all first impressions and stuff. Gimme a summer.

Anyway thx for the thumbsup and all.

...Oh and that LS6 sounds sweet.

[ 30. January 2005, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: Mowgli ]

3,850lbs.

About the same as a GTO. I'm suprised you like the shifter though. I thought it was kinda rubbery and vague. The Cobra shifter must have been pretty bad.

Good luck with the V. I love that car.

Originally posted by Mallard:

I'm suprised you like the shifter though. I thought it was kinda rubbery and vague. The Cobra shifter must have been pretty bad.

It is cushy. But I think its more the placement that I really appreciate. Its back where my arm is bent using it, whereas with the Cobra I was arm straight with a little shoulder english on it to reach 5th (and I have a 34inch sleeve).

But you know, they probably coulda stuck a baseball bat in a bowl of mud and I woulda liked it more. I can't tell you how many 2-3 shifts I ground in the snake.

I will also say the pedals in this thing, if you're wanting to heel-toe, you can forget it. Ain't happening. The Cobra had it all over this for heel-toe. BUT - I now won't continue to build up my bulging leg left tricep muscle now that I'm using a clutch not made for King Kong.

But you know, they probably coulda stuck a baseball bat in a bowl of mud and I woulda liked it more. I can't tell you how many 2-3 shifts I ground in the snake...BUT - I now won't continue to build up my bulging leg left tricep muscle now that I'm using a clutch not made for King Kong.

LOL - I hear you loud and clear on both points.

On another note, I'm assuming you traded in the Cobra. If that's correct, and if you don't mind saying publicly, how much did you get for it on trade in value? Or, if you'd like to be a bit more discreet, maybe you could give a more vague indication (e.g., "They gave me more than $24,000").

I traded in the SVT. Remember how I said I use my cars? The Cobra was used. I mean it was well taken care of mechanically/maintenance/etc but there was definitely more than normal wear and tear. 27,000 miles on the odo.

[ 30. January 2005, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: Mowgli ]