Ideas about future FD RX-7

Veritas

Alright, as some of you may or may not know i do plan on picking up an FD shell sometime this fall/winter. (they go realitively cheap cause people blow the cosmo engine all the time) Im running into some problems tho as far as what i actually would want to do to it. I LOVE how fd's look. Quite sexy to me. And they still handle really well... but. I don't like the way the fd engine handles boost... which is once you start doing anything to it, it doesn't handle it really well at all after awhile.

So... im asking you guys out there (Kyle/DriveRight if you can shed some knowledge i would appreciate it) about what some of the options are out there for the chasis. I don't wanna go the v8 route but if i can get RELIABLE power... then i may have to start looking towards it. Im boneing up on my car knowledge too so hopefully when the time came i could do a lot of the fabrication myself.

A couple things tho that I want from the car in the long run:

A. She runs. She runs strong. She runs long.

B. Boost. I gotta have boost, it just wouldn't behoove the body to not have it.

C. Won't cost 20k for the engine. Anything that's under that is fine, this isn't going to be like an over night deal, it's going to be staying up at my mom's garage in dublin and will be a long term project.

Anyways, thoughts/input/ideas are more then welcome - they're being sought out:D

T.c.

P.s. Don't care about unique either, and please, NO STUPID COMMENTS ABOUT WHAT SOUNDS LIKE WHAT I want valid ideas/comments here guys/gals.

Guest Ranger_Man
just get a stock engine and put it into the shell with all the minor upgrades. minor upgrades being exhaust, higher boost.. ect ect. get some nice tires for it and then take it to open lapping days with us. doing only minor upgrades will allow the engine to last damn near forever (ask carl). then you have a quick car that is even quicker around the track.

Buy a Pineapple rotary, a single turbo, and you're done. 400-600 reliable HP. Kyle is surely not going to tell you to put a V8 in it LOL, only F Body people will. You can do a Pineapple/Rotary at a price far far lower than 20G's. Don't let the domestic guys ruin you! ;)

not looking for only just a silly v8 swap, but anything that people have heard of looking to check out the different possibilities. smile.gif

Plus, this car WONT be done anytime soon after i get the chasis and what not, it's gonna take a while that's why im planning now to look at what my options will be, ill check into the whole pineapple motor's thing, i hear about em all the time but i haven't done any hard core studying up on them yet

T.c.

[ 03. April 2004, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: Veritas ]

Stick with the dorito, that's what I think sets the car apart from others. If you take care of the engine and don't push it's limits too much it can be reliable and make an awesome car. I personally would stick with a modified OEM engine because I don't like bastardizing things... ;)

I had 104k on my original engine, when I pulled it to race-port it, still running like a champ.

A full rebuild and polished race-porting on a FD motor is $3400, done here in town at the RX7Store.

A good set of used stock twins run $300-$500, and are reliably good to 15psi, above that and the life shortens.

Add 1300cc secondary injectors, fuel pump, Fuel pressure regulator, $800

Front mount intercooler, intake, exhaust, and Apexi PFC to control it all.

That'll end up about $8000 retail (without labor) for approx 375-400 RWHP depending on boost.

Buy a rotary motor,there is quite a lot of lots of local support/knowledge so you wont go wrong.

I personally would recommend to dump the factory twins and go single,less heat and it removes 50 vacumn lines (major FD hassles)it took me 2 years to figure this one lol!

If you keep the stock motor and twins you can get up to another 100 hp by removing the two cats installing a intake/catback running 15 1bs of boost with a reprogrammable ecu.

You pretty mutch blow everyones doors off at the track at that point. ;)

Rotories hate overheating so a bigger radiator is good insurance and because you fuel duty cycles will be close to maxed out more fuel.

also terron, i've seen this happen way too many times.

people talk alot about the sweetest car they can have long term project and all that good stuff

but less than 5% actually finish the project don't waste your money and time on something you may never finish :(

after reading through that again i still can't figureo ut what you meant about hte cosmo motor.

the cosmo motor is a twin turbo THREE rotor motor that came in the COSMO in japan...:confused:still

personally whether it be a rotary RX-7/ SBC RX-7 or any other sort of project car i would always have a beater if you really like to go have fun in your car and use all the horsepower shit is going to break. so just get a beater and do whatever the hell u want with your project. :D

and yesespecially with an RX-7 i woul dhave a beater, i love mine!

Sounds about what I would like to do someday. Though, I WILL finish my GXL-II project before I seriously start thinking about another project (already, I've brokent that rule with my vert...)

Hell, what Berto said about the beater...I have a "beater" RX-7 that has no major plans for her, just an n/a for reliability and it'll be good on the track while the GXL-II is being completed.

I've looked into doing the 20B (cosmo engine) swap into an FD or an FC. Don't know that I'll actually get around to doing it just yet, but I know some of the 'major' customizing you'll have to look into about it. Obviously, the easiest thing will be to go with a rebuilt 13B for the FD chasis.

Good luck on your project, man.

Berto, like i said i haven't even done a lot of look up on stuff yet, i just started seriously contemplating what to do a couple days ago. I have my beater, I have my track car, and the fd will be my "Damn that's sexy" mobile.

And, as far as finishing long term projects...I have a pretty good track record so far :| anyways, thanks for the input, ill start looking into the engine types more and the single conversions etc. now.

T.c.

Guest mudbutt
Originally posted by buckeye:

I have herd that these cars have a real good balance front to rear. What kind of weight can be put in the front and not f that up ?

the henson ls-1 fd is the same weight ratio as stock.

the problem is i asked for valid comments and the like, didn't ask for anything negative :| just ideas on engines, i didn't say no to going with a SBC either. No reason to down one over the other i just want ideas on engines period. - the damn commentary on what someone things sucks or doesn't.

TC

Not meaning to chime in unwelcomed or anything. But have you considered anything other than a rotory and/or v8 swap?

possibly a 4g63 swap? you'd need the transmission from a starion and the read end as well, true some custom fabrication would be needed but anymore than a v8 swap? plus the 4g63 would have to be lighter than a v8, although i don't know the weight im just assuming. i looked into it and asked a friend who knew more than me about it, but it's way out of my league right now.

plus side:

lighter (<not definite)

just as powerful w/ the right mods

and you wouldn't be like everyone else. smile.gif

just a thought, although i have seen an rx7 w/ an sr20 swap, march 04 modified mag.

i would find out the weight of the 2jz compared to the rotary in the FD. i think one of your biggest concerns in putting anything other than a rotary in an FD should be weight/ weight distribution.

There are plenty of great 4cyl. platforms out there that would fit into an FD. BUt i always remembered mazda boasting on how "light" their rotary is compared to the competition's traditional int. comb. engines. BUT SP engineering did put a 2jz engine into an rx-7 (the supra7) a while back, really nice car. Do you plan on road racing, or just drag racing the car?