proper break in procedure

fush

OK the motor should be back together and in the car in a few days. What would the proper break in procedure for a new turbo motor be? Should I reinstall it n/a and break it in before installing the turbo? Install the turbo and run super minimal boost? Also I have read that you should break in the motor with non-synthetic oil who has experience here. How many miles should tbe break in period last? Just want to make sure all the money that was spent so far doesnt go up in smoke doing something stupid. If you need more info to give suggestions please let me know. All help is appreciated. smile.gif

-jeff

my advice, use at your own risk...

Non sythetic oil

Break it in on boost, minimal boost,and dont take the engine above 3000rpm for about 500mi, then change the oil, put the boost where you want it,and mouse it around for a few hundred more miles. Hope its right, that's what I'm planning on doing :D

You want tradidtional oil because of the way it reacts witht he metal, it "absorbes" it...for lack of a large vocabulary. lol

What kind of rings did you use? A race moly ring requires no break in. If you want to for your own piece of mind than I'd say 500-1000 miles, on non-synthetic oil. Then change and look at the oil...

I've read the motor important thing to remember when breaking-in a motor is to keep the rpms constantly fluctuating. So if you go on the highway, go to 2500 rpm speed up to 3000 rpms, and back down to 2500. That is just an example. Street driving is the same way. I also suggest an oil and filter change after 500 miles, but that is up to you. But definately keep the boost low, expecially on a non-factory turbo car.

What kinda of motor did you build, and for what car, btw?

Well there are two projects going on right now, one is really close to being done (and ready to be broken in of course) and one is still waiting for parts. My friend is turboing his civic (no flames please). He has the SOHC d16y8 motor bought all kind of stuff for it to make it hopefully hold some boost, a greddy turbo kit and a couple other goodies.

The other project is for my car. I have to get my extra block and such checked out before I go and blow the money for the turbo parts though.

-jeff

my machine shops does 500 miles no boost, be sure to change the oil (once after first start, once after first drive, than 100-300-500 miles) than its ready to be boosted and beat on :D

Cool thanks for all the suggestions guys. Things should be ready later this week hopefully. Then once we get it all broken in and tuned up maybe we will come out and meet some of you all sometime.

-jeff

Originally posted by rl:

my machine shops does 500 miles no boost, be sure to change the oil (once after first start, once after first drive, than 100-300-500 miles) than its ready to be boosted and beat on :D

That seems a little extreme.. 5 oil changes for the first 500 miles! Fowler instructed my friend to :
once after first start (run 10 minutes) and then 500 miles
I guess better safe than sorry.. But as far as engine break in it depends on rings.. smile.gif