Best Way to drill through 3/4" thick metal?

Doug1647545489

Drilling bolts can be a bitch. If you have access to a drill press your no problem otherwise good luck. It's usually best to treat bolts like stainless steel, use a low speed 500rpm or so and lots of pressure hence the drill press. Lots of lubrication helps.

Originally posted by Doug:

I guess I'll just wait until we make the pipes smile.gif

smile.gif

Cool cool, just get some high speed steel drill bits, I dont have any that arent destroyed right now :D

Another option would be to take the part to M&M machine shop (in the same building that bill is, the guy who painted your wing) and pay them to remove the bolt...I bet it would be like $20.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by Faster than Yours:

why dont you just got to your local hardware store and buy a bolt extractor, you drill it down into the bolt, its a reverse threaded screw goes into it and when it bites into it it pulls the bolt out

Because the bolt is really really old and has been in their for probably 10 + years. Its Seized like a mofo. The threads on the part where is does stick out are totally gne from rusting.

thats what the tool is designed for it will take it out