Selecting a good project car under $5000 - NEW SCHOOL DOMESTICS

SupraGlue

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jedi Master:

Nitrousbird, do you know which 3rd Gens came with the 8.5"? I'm guessing that the '89 Turbo TA did, any others? I've yet to break the rear end in my car, but I've been warned so darned many times about how weak it is. :( I know that Sam has a friend who ran 11's on one for a whole season before it finally called it in. So perhaps that point ought to be left more open. I just want people to be aware of what is generally considered the weak link of that car.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The guy you are refering to is Sam's roomate Bryan. 11 second Z (NA 355), pulling high 1.6 to low 1.7 60's on a factory open rear ended 3.73 rear w/ BFG DR's. I can't remember if his is a 7 5/8 or 8.5" I'm not the person to be asking which rears came in which models, though......perhaps someone else knows specifically. But I just wanted to point out that even the 7 5/8" isn't THAT weak for the most part. Weak, yes, but the internet tends to make it seem like you are guaranteed to break it tomorrow or something.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>James, I try to forget that both GM and Ford produced their "pony cars" with anemic 4 poppers. The 4 cyl Camaro/Firebird were discontinued after 1984, I think. Anyone have a clue on when the 4 cyl Fox body finally died?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Re-read my above post. Ford made the 4 bangers through 93 (I even test drove a 93 4-banger once for shits and giggles, what a dog). When they went to the SN95 body style, they went to the anemic Ford 3.8L V6.....that thing was a dog too (I hear the 99+ V6's are a lot better).

do you know which 3rd Gens came with the 8.5"? I'm guessing that the '89 Turbo TA did, any others? I've yet to break the rear end in my car, but I've been warned so darned many times about how weak it is. :( I know that Sam has a friend who ran 11's on one for a whole season before it finally called it in. So perhaps that point ought to be left more open. I just want people to be aware of what is generally considered the weak link of that car.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't beleve that 8.5 ever came in a Camaro. But an Ausi 9 bolt did and was stronger than the 10 bolts. There was also two versions of the 7.5 10 bolt. The weeker one had 26 spline axles. I think in 89 they up graded to 28 spline. There are mods that can be done to make the axle better, though not as good as a 9-inch Ford or a 12 bolt. Most of it problem is the torque arm bolting to the center gear carrier.

[ 25 January 2002: Message edited by: Axoid / Sith Lord ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nitrousbird:

The guy you are refering to is Sam's roomate Bryan. 11 second Z (NA 355), pulling high 1.6 to low 1.7 60's on a factory open rear ended 3.73 rear w/ BFG DR's. I can't remember if his is a 7 5/8 or 8.5" I'm not the person to be asking which rears came in which models, though......perhaps someone else knows specifically. But I just wanted to point out that even the 7 5/8" isn't THAT weak for the most part. Weak, yes, but the internet tends to make it seem like you are guaranteed to break it tomorrow or something.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah Bryan had a 7 1/2in./10bolt rear end. He ran very good 60ft times and 11 sec E/T's w/ a 3600 stall for several seasons before destroying it. He was real close to yanking the front tires(I have a pic but its not on a website) and he only had the open rear end. Also my GTA has a Borge Warner 9 bolt rear end. I believe it is 7 3/4in. and has taken many mid 12 sec passes. They are a pretty strong rear end. Especially since fast 3rd gens (L98's) were almost all automatics, which are easier on rear ends.

Once you start talking about fit and finish and opinion on a good project car it's all opinion. DSM's are nice and easily modded but I'm definitely not a fan of the quality of the interior and ride(my opinion of course). And mine also did not get very good gas mileage either..But there is a big difference in a project car and a nice quick daily driver. I would love to have a DSM as a daily driver smile.gif It all depends what you want out of the car and how fast you plan on going..

I would also say that if your gonna buy a car for 5g's you can almost add LT1 F-Bodies into the mix. With a little looking you can locate them for close to that.

Not only can Rangers carry SBC's but there is a kid at my school that has one with the turbo motor that came in the T-bird. Not sure what this motor puts out (He's modded it) but he claimed to be door to door with a newer Vette up to 100 :rolleyes: I know the truck is fast, but I wanna see slips before i beleive that.

Colt Turbo, ? - There was also a Colt Turbo and a twin car whose name escapes me. These were 1.6l Turbo, FWD. Mitsu engines and turbos. Not really done much since the Talons/Eclipses have more potential and AWD. Would be interesting if someone gave you one, I guess.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've heard that you can take the AWD system from the DSMs and put it in this car, with very little modification. And if you ask me it would be the ultimate sleeper. And the twin car was a Mitsubishi Mirage hatchback.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shaft:

Not only can Rangers carry SBC's but there is a kid at my school that has one with the turbo motor that came in the T-bird. Not sure what this motor puts out (He's modded it) but he claimed to be door to door with a newer Vette up to 100 :rolleyes: I know the truck is fast, but I wanna see slips before i beleive that.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the same engine that came in the Merkur XR4Ti and the Mustang SVO, they can be very very quick, who know's if his is that quick or not though, I agree with you on wanting to see the slips before you believed that. I rode in a friends Merkur once, moded, it was pretty damn fast.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Morgan:

weren't the t-birds (turbo coupes) turbo 6s? not turbo 4s like merkurs...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They were turbo 4's.

Oh but how bout the Plymouth GLH turbos. They were very light and I know there used to be some quick ones around..

Good stuff! smile.gif

Something you always hear is the guy who has a nice little daily driver commuter car who wants to make it faster. My opinion is: DON'T!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly smile.gif But that seems to be popular though... :confused:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SamZman:

I would also say that if your gonna buy a car for 5g's you can almost add LT1 F-Bodies into the mix. With a little looking you can locate them for close to that.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, I've seen them that low. You just have to look. And I'm sure you can find Stangs of the same vintage for a low price, if you wanted to.

I think choosing a car depends on your goals too. How fast do you want to go? How often are you going to drive it? Are you going to heavily mod it right away? Or do you want a car to drive and mod as you go? Do you want a fast car, a good looking car, or both? Do you have a daily driver? etc.

Guest slasherz34

good post. dont forget you can buy an old 70s chevelle with a 307 in it, and then swap in a new crate motor for less then 5k

edit: yes its not new school but its still cool :p

-paul

[ 29 January 2002: Message edited by: slasherz34 ]

Guest 614Streets

79- up Malibu is a great car

80- up grand prix , rwd

80- up cutlass , rwd

80- up fairmount

S-10

and 500ci cadillac cars

500 ci caddy swaps into caminos , malibu , regals , cutlass , carlos

Guest BLACKBIRD99

The T-bird turbo coupes were turbo V6's. My dad had 3 in a row followed by a T-Bird SC(supercoupe). The SC model is fairly similar to the current GTP's mainly because they both have 3.8L V6's and supercharged. The difference is that the T-Bird came with 250hp and 330tq compared to the GTP's 240hp. The T-Bird though is a bit of a disappointment to me because they only run mid 15's stock when I believe a GTP will run a little better. You can get a T-Bird into the 14's pretty easily with pulleys, air intake and exhaust. Add more and it will be an eye opener. I don't think parts are all that easy to find for them but I'm not sure. Those go for less than $5k.

Also for that price, a 93-95 LT1 F-body should fairly easy to find. The trick is to find one that hasn't been run into the ground.

Guest slasherz34
the v6 supercoupes had an optional 5 speed but are hard to find. early 90's sport models have the 5.0HO engine the old mustangs had. friend of mine has one and its fast as hell. (5.0) 148k miles, 1 cylender has almost no compression, and it still chirps the tires going into second gear.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BLACKBIRD99:

The T-bird turbo coupes were turbo V6's. My dad had 3 in a row followed by a T-Bird SC(supercoupe). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Adam, I've never heard of a turbo V6 T-Bird, the Turbo Coupe T-Birds (83-88) had the 4 cylinder 2.3 liter turbo. I found a website about them - http://turbocoupe.com/ ..

• 2 weeks later...