adding around 200 hp?

ok, i finally made the move. i am going to be doing alot to my engine! i asked about adding the 4.10 gears as you guys have suggested, and i was sadly told it will be even more of a gas hog than it is now! :( i only get about 12-15 miles to the gallon as it is... is what i hear true? i am replacing the headers and adding a cool air system, borla exhaust, and much much more. all of this work is going to cost me around $3,000

can ne one help me about the gas milage problem? and when i get the list of what i am going to do...i would love everyones input!

oh yeah and i need to know where i can get molding to replace the old stuff in my car. there are big air pockets where the top comes down and meets the car. ne one know where i can get such a thing. i have a 91 mustang gt!

Well if you want more power than your gas mileage is going to go down. There's nothing you can really do about that. You can always add nitrous to your car for some quick horsepower when you need it.

You should be getting way better than 12mpg. :confused: Brian is the Mustang expert, so I'll let him answer most of that, but yes the gears thing is true. With 4.10 gears you're making the motor spin faster and the tires spin slower (this increases torque, so it's easier to move the car). It will make the engine rev higher at cruising speeds. Your car is an auto right? I'm pretty sure the Mustangs had an overdrive auto (meaning the last gear is something like .67:1, the crank actually spins slower than the output shaft). $3k sounds like a lot of an exhaust and gears... ask around, I'm sure people from the board would help.

I hope that you will be getting alot more than headers, exhaust, and a gear for $3,000. For that kind of money you should be able to get alot more. I think that there is also someone on this site who is selling a set of TFS heads that have some work done to them. That would definitely help your car out, but putting them on isn't exactly easy.

Like everyone else has said with more power comes les gas mileage. You aren't driving a Honda tongue.gif

Anyway I am by no means a Mustang expert talk to Brian for that but I would hope to god for 3K you will be gtting more than a exhaust, intake, and headers.

For 3K on my car I could get a good set of heads and a cam which would only add about maybe 100HP. I have 4.10 gears in my car and it hauls off the line but gas sucks to a "T". I think if I'm lucky it gets 20MPG :eek:

To add 200hp easily you would have to go with nitrous. Brian also knows about that ;)

I would do an exhaust headers and fab your own cold air. It's not that hard to do with some dryer duct and a dryer vent for the cold air pickup :D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Iria:

Well if you want more power than your gas mileage is going to go down. There's nothing you can really do about that. You can always add nitrous to your car for some quick horsepower when you need it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well headers and mufflers will give you more power and improve fuel economy. But any serious engine mods will force you to sacrifice gas mileage...

Guest BLACKBIRD99
For $3k, you should be able to get headers, exhaust and a Ford 9" rear end with your 4.10 gears. The more you mod, the less gas you'll have. I started noticing a mpg loss even when I opened up the breathing on the T/A. I have a 16.8 gallon tank and usually get 210-250 miles out of a tank depending on how much I drive it. So that's about 15mpg at best on a car that stock should get about 20mpg on average.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BLACKBIRD99:

For $3k, you should be able to get headers, exhaust and a Ford 9" rear end with your 4.10 gears. The more you mod, the less gas you'll have. I started noticing a mpg loss even when I opened up the breathing on the T/A. I have a 16.8 gallon tank and usually get 210-250 miles out of a tank depending on how much I drive it. So that's about 15mpg at best on a car that stock should get about 20mpg on average.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Adam.....that's all the better you get???

I would "think" your tank is the same size as mine, which is 15.5 gallons + fuel lines (which I think are approx .5 gallons).

Even with all my mods, I still get around 250 miles to 14 gallons (try not to run he dry). And LS1's are not supposed to be as thirsty either. Are your plugs/wires in good shape? Fuel filter doing well? Unless you are going WOT 24/7, you should be getting better mileage than that.

Guest 00 Super Sport

Adam I would wonder too.

I run between 275 and 310 miles per tank.

That puts me between 21 and 22.5 mpg.

If I drive easy I can get 24 to 25 mpg.

Not all fours get good millange and not all sixes get worse. I averaged 28 - 29 with my GTP. I once avaeraged 34.1 driving down from Marion to Lancaster. Not bad for a car that would beat most pre 99 stock mustang GT's.

Possible reasons for bad mpg: Lead foot, incorrectly calculating mpg, tired motor...etc. The only mustangs that I have seen and tuned that get those #'s for mpg are mustangs that run the 1320 in 10 sec. and have some kind of forced induction. For my 90 mustang lx, it gets 25 mpg on the highway, 20 mpg in the city, and runs high 12's naturally aspirated. Your cost for your mods of exhaust and parts sounds somewhat real if you are including the cost of labor in the $3000. You would need to break it down part by part to actually see if that figure is correct. Borla exhaust is pretty expensive for a cat-back system running anywhere from $300-500 depending where you buy your parts. That would not be my choice for a cat-back system due to other systems as in MAC or Magnaflow that I have seen put out better numbers and for a lower cost. A vendor in Georgia called Mustang Parts Specialties can aid you in finding molding and any other parts for your stang. You can visit them at www.stangparts.com. Just my 2 cents.

Guest slasherz34
"power" and "good gas milage" do not belong in the same sentance unless you're talking about a twin turbo 4 banger or some shit like that. seriously though anything more then an intake and exhaust will lower your gas milage. ESPECIALLY those 4.10 gears. get something less aggressive and it wont be to bad.

Guest BLACKBIRD99
I think it's a combined thing of me driving almost no freeways because of where I live and the things I do and the fact that I get on it hard atleast once every time I drive it. When I get on it, nothing seems a miss or anything. It still runs perfect. So I just think that it's the lack of freeway cruising and getting on it a lot. When I lived in Westerville and drove down to Rickenbacker to work, I'd get 250-280 miles out of a tank.

Give me an exact dollar amount and I will give you the best combination of parts for that money. Your 8.8 rear end is more then strong enough. There are cars in outlaw running in the eights with 9 inch tubes. I will get back to you once you have a dollar amount.

3.0 liters + two turbos =

409 rwhp + 428 rwtq + 25 mpg

388 ci + cam + + 4 barrel + 3.42 gear =

~350rwhp + 12-14 mpg

For a practical, everyday high performance car, boost is the answer. I'll bet that Brian's 500+rwhp twin turbo 5.0 gets excellent mileage for his power level. Same goes for Scott's 600+ rwhp Supra, or Jeff's ??? 4whp 3000GT (whenever it finally appears ;) ).

Either way, that Mustang should be getting much better mileage. You may want to do some basic maintanence before modding that car. I'd recommend cleaning the injectors, changing every filter, especially fuel, flushing the coolant, changing transmission fluid and gear oil, and running a compression check. You might be due for a new O2 sensor as well. Clearly something is amiss with that car, and should be corrected before looking for more power. Just my $.02.

[ 01 February 2002: Message edited by: Jedi Master ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hitek cougar:

93 Eclipse = sip sip (I4)

99 cougar = guzzle guzzle (v6 more horses)

71 Corvette = chug chug (v8 even more horses)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got you all beat... 1.3L at 11-15 mpg city driving. Doritos make me thirsty!!!!