Painting engine blocks

SupraGlue

Simple. Go to Advance Auto and pick up a couple cans of engine paint. They even have Chevy orange. ;)

As long as the motor is clean you shouldn't get any flaking.

http://thelittlebaby.dhs.org/kenny/jesse/P1010267.JPG

http://thelittlebaby.dhs.org/kenny/jesse/P1010265.JPG

Both of those are with that paint. Mine looks a bit shinier in that pic, but Jesse's is actually cleaner.

if you are painting a engine, the best tine is right after you get it back from the macine shop (eg. freshly hot tanked)

otherwise, a good chemical cleaner and no sand blasting unless you have a death wish for your engine :(

oh yeah, make sure the paint has a tempature rating on it. 600 should work for an engine block and heads, but higher is better

[ 21 February 2002: Message edited by: Lustalbert ]

Now, see...that's what I would have thought. Engine. Engine paint. Kinda logical, right?

But...my nice, bright red Chebbie block started flaking within 2000 miles, and it was painted at the machine shop. Very annoying, since it chose to flake right at the front of the block, above the water pump.

Now, let's say that I wanted to match the color of the block to the color of the car. Will regular auto body paint survive, or should I just dismiss that as a silly idear? (The engine will probably be coming out for some work soon, anyway)

Actually, i painted Kenny's engine! tongue.gif

As for the paint, making sure you have a clean base is important, perhaps there was a bit of solvent left on that part of the block. Unless it is cleaned with soap and water after the hot tank, this is very possible. I still say you powder coat it! :D

Just another note....never, EVER paint with High Temp yellow. I don't care if the crap says self priming, the good stuff, or whatever, don't do it. It will take about a million coats to look decent!!!

But yeah, a good high temp paint should do the trick, followed by some high temp clear. :D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nitrousbird:

Just another note....never, EVER paint with High Temp yellow. I don't care if the crap says self priming, the good stuff, or whatever, don't do it. It will take about a million coats to look decent!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Woah... stock internals, lots of NAWS and now yellow painted parts, are you sure you're not a closet ricer? :Dtongue.gif

Guest relvinnian

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kenny:

Woah... stock internals, lots of NAWS and now yellow painted parts, are you sure you're not a closet ricer? :Dtongue.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>LOL

;)

Woah... stock internals, lots of NAWS and now yellow painted parts, are you sure you're not a closet ricer? :Dtongue.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bastard....its okay for the Supra boys to run stock internals...but then the V8 guys do it and its bad?? :confused: Gee, the poor car has ran 11's!!

And yes, I have yellow parts. :D Its a contrasting color to green, ya know...and damn it, I like the color. Its not like the car screams yellow or anything, and sure as hell ain't stickercharged. My STB is powerdercoated yellow. My rear-end is painted yellow. I have some yellow wire-loom too; sorry, I like the color. Actually, I think I should have went with the silver theme instead, but too late now. Ahh, fudge it.....I learned my lesson, yellow paint SUCKS to work with. Red would have been nice too, but I was avoiding the Christmas Tree theme. tongue.gif

Woah... stock internals, lots of NAWS and now yellow painted parts, are you sure you're not a closet ricer? :Dtongue.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

kenny ur such a hater joe is just trying to build a firebird type r like they have in japan geesh

bwhahaha

:D

firebird type R haha this is great. but i think kenny's right cuz we all know yellow and lots of naws = riceboy, so really what separated joe from the rest of them? pretty much only that he has a pontiac emblem on his car rather than a honda, thats still ricey in my book. :D