Free Mods!!!

grease monkey

what i'm looking for are things that cost very little money, like no more than $20.00 and are easily completed. I want to make a list of all the things you can do. so far on the list I have

Weight Reducion

EGR Blockoff

Hacking the Air box

Boring the Throttle body with your DREMEL tool

Thats all I have so far. like i said i'd like to make a list of all the free mods!!!

Thanks for the input

Weight reduction and hacking the airbox are the only mods that will help. Your not going to want to dremel the throtle body because the plate inside the TB will not match up, and create a lean condition because air will be flowing through even when the plate is all the way closed. Egr block off will not really net any real power either, since it really only opens at highway speeds when your crusing for a long time. Hacking the airbox will only net you fractions of a horsepower at different rpm ranges, but if you are trying to get maximum horsepower for the dollar, "why not". And weight reduction will net you faster times, but your saturn is already pretty light, and do you really want to get rid of those 'creature comforts'?

Chris is right. Don't screw around with your daily. If you have to do something, get a AAA membership then toss the spare tire and tools out. smile.gif

(BTW, real hardcore weight reduction can be one of the MOST expensive ways to mod a car. Lighter materials with high structural strength tend to cost a bit. Losing weight off the driver is free, however. ;)tongue.gif )

A cheap turbo car would respond much better to free (or cheap) mods. Good examples would be the DSM cars and the Mopar turbo cars.

Heck, you're lucky if a *stock* Saturn keeps running. I wouldn't try and push my luck if I were you. ;) j/k

[ 10 July 2002, 01:37 AM: Message edited by: Stolen UFO ]

Guest nevarmore
Originally posted by BC:

- Dry ice in your air box (just a thought)

Cold air helps a lot is my point I guess

the low tempeatures will help, but when the dry ice sublimes ('melts' from a solid to a gas) into carbon dioxide your engine isnt going to be happy. Now if you had a frozen hunk of oxygen..oh wait under $20. Anyhow, dry ice packed around a metal airbox would help, but in the airbox would be a bad thing.

Originally posted by controler:

Weight reduction and hacking the airbox are the only mods that will help. Your not going to want to dremel the throtle body because the plate inside the TB will not match up, and create a lean condition because air will be flowing through even when the plate is all the way closed. Egr block off will not really net any real power either, since it really only opens at highway speeds when your crusing for a long time. Hacking the airbox will only net you fractions of a horsepower at different rpm ranges, but if you are trying to get maximum horsepower for the dollar, "why not". And weight reduction will net you faster times, but your saturn is already pretty light, and do you really want to get rid of those 'creature comforts'?

Blocking off the EGR can help in certain situations. With a turbo or supercharged application, blocking off the EGR lets you remove the water lines that can heat up the intake charge greatly. I've seen less knock by blocking off the EGR and water lines, so there IS a benefiet.