Got my nitrous :)

Guest awdracer

Guest awdracer
I got my nitrous in today (it was a used kit) so I dont have any instructions so any help that anyone wants to throw my way would be helpful. I'm putting it on my 93 talon tsi. I wanna run a 50shot to cool my intake down. Its a wet kit by the way.

Originally posted by MR. EARS:

You are wrong Shawn. A wet system has a fuel and nitrous jet in the intake whereas a dry kit only has a nitrous jet in the intake.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I believe direct port is into the fuel rail.

You're right when you say the wet kit sprays fuel and n2o. The dry kit just sprays n2o and ups the fuel pressure for added fuel.

direct port is injected into each intake runner, as opposed to one jet into the throttle body/intake tract.

Guest nevarmore

got any model numbers or brand names on that kit?

post those and i can have a look see over at google (or you can do it yourself), the mfgr might have em online.

Guest awdracer
The kit is the NX nitrous kit. I'm not sure the model numbers cause the kid didn't have em, but its suppose to be for the EFI 4cyl cars (and v6, and v8...) I know I'm suppose to inject somewhere after the intercooler and I was thinking about tapping into my upper intercooler pipe right before the throttle body elbow but I need to know which wires to use. It has the 2 solenoids with the wires coming out of them, and then a relay. I figure basic concept is to power the relay, run the wires from the solenoid to the relay, and then the switch I decide to use for injecting it will trip the relay. It doesn't have like a WOT switch and I talked to the kid and he said that he just used a flip switch to switch it on and then when he was done running it he would switch it down (off) He said he would just drive with one hand and not worry about it. To me that seems...well.. I dont think I have to explain that. What I was thinking about was possible mounting a push button switch on my steering wheel or on my gear shift for when I want it injected I could just push the button in and it would release when I let off the button. Anyone got any better ideas? I didn't start working on cars till this one but I usually get the idea so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

jegs:

130-46112 get you a shift knob with the switch already installed

741-15879 will get you a throttle switch

741-15606 is a covered switch similar to arcraft switches, a good master switch for the whole system.

as far a wiring it all up........

in order, the master switch will come first, followed by the throttle switch, so you are at full throttle, and not wasing that shot of n02. Then the knob switch, so it is activated only when you really want to use it. Apply the output of the final switch to a 20 or 30 amp realy, use the output of the relay to fire both the fuel and n02 selonids, and make sure you have plenty of fuel pressure. as an added safety, 741-15750 is a fuel pressure switch that will shut off your system is the fuel presure drops below a safe range, not sure if it is calibrated to a carb system or a high pressure fuel injection system

Guest nevarmore

Well, i ran a search for ya.

According to http://www.nitrousexpress.com/q&a.htm

they do have installation manuals available online.

But ill be damned if i can find them. I ran a google search limited to that specific domain (nitrousexpress.com), which will return ANY file present that is viewable by the general public. i didnt see anything there, you might want to look yourself though. I'd just email and ask them for a manual or a link to one.

Well, I only have experience with nitrous on my car (and cars similar to it :D ), so I can only help based on that....though a lot of it is the same regardless of cars.

1. Get a window switch

2. GET A WINDOW SWITCH. Don't THINK about running without it, unless you LIKE to throw pistons through your block. And I don't care if you are running some "amazing" Supra 3.0L with forged everything....you start hitting fuel cut-off with the nitrous spraying, and you'll see exactly how the motor doesn't handle it. Also, shooting at two low of an RPM can cause the car to detonate badly.

3. Fuel pressure safety switch, or at least something to monitor your fuel pressure. Lack of pressure + shooting nitrous = kaboom.

4. Make sure the nozzle sprays a direct path into the throttle body

5. Some people will disagree with me, but I highly suggest running a WOT switch. The whole button thing can get tricky and allows for error. With my car's PCM, it will run closed loop until approx 75%; above that, it will run in power enrichment mode (normally, and incorrectly, refered to as Open Loop....similar, but uses different tables). You don't want to spray in closed loop. The past 2 years I ran just the regular mechanical window switch (all it does is complete the circuit). But now NX offers one that hooks up to the TPS sensor of my car, so I may use that instead this season. smile.gif Nothing wrong with my current setup, other than it pulling the damn wire out on occassion (which is what ruined my best run last season).

Always play is safe with nitrous. Testing solenoids on a regular basis is a smart idea, as is always closing the bottle when not in use, purging the nitrous out of the system when not being used, watching your a/f ratio's, etc.

In all honesty, if I was running forced induction AND nitrous; I'd run a seperate fuel cell for the nitrous enrichment, using 110 unleaded to help prevent any detonation problems. But that's just me. smile.gif

• 3 weeks later...

First off, Nitrousbird, that is one heck of a nice car you got there.

Second, I also have the NX Kit. Listen to Nitrousbird. Run a window switch. Don't inject below 3,000RPM. With a wet system, a 'puddling' effect can occur if you inject too low. You're depending on the air flowing through that intake tube to blow the Nitrous into the manifold so it doesn't puddle...if it puddles it can backfire, causing major damage.

Run a fuel pressure safety switch. The NX System is a well designed system, and works well if you use it correctly.