Installing new valve seals - 4.3L GM V6

zeitgeist57

Help! smile.gif

Can someone tell me any specific tools needed to install new valve seals on my truck's 4.3L V6? Specifically, to hold the valve in the head (and NOT let it drop into the cylinder!) and to remove retainers.

Thanks! P.S...if anyone wants to help me, PM me...I'm hoping to do this this weekend.

Ahhh, let me guess, she smokes every time you start her. Sadly, the common valve seal problem that plagues the older 4.3L motors (mine does it too, but doesn't consume nearly enough oil to ever have to add any, luckily).

Jegs and other places sell a device that screws into each spark plug hole, with which you hook an air-compressor hose to. The air pressure keeps the valves from falling.

While you are doing new seals, I'd say it would probably be a great time to do new valve springs, since the old ones are worn for sure. Those should be pretty cheap. Could also toss in some 1.6 roller rockers while you are in there. ;)

Sadly, I don't have any first hand experience changing valves/seals/springs, as my heads were fully assembled when I bought them for my car, and haven't had a reason to replace any yet.

Originally posted by Nitrousbird:

Ahhh, let me guess, she smokes every time you start her.

Oh man...leaks cylinder pressure and oil like CRAZY until it warms up. Even then, there is some serious blowby the valve seals when the engine is warm.

Thanks a ton for the pointers! Still...anybody wanna help me? ;)

I won't be home this weekend. if you have acces to an air compressor I have the valve holding tool. you will also need a valve spring compressor.you can buy one that will work on a chevy at the autoparts for about 10 bucks. if you don't have air buy a roll of the soft nylon clothesline and tie a knot in one end. then feed the rest of the rope into the cylinder to hold the valve the closed the closer piston is to TDC the less rope you have to use.

hope this helps

Originally posted by nurkvinny:

Damn, you still haven't done this since the last time you posted this question? ;)

http://www.columbusracing.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=001065

:D

My 2-month short term memory retention OWNZ MEE! smile.gif

REpost... graemlins/gives.gif ??? Same problem, different month :D