Oil on plugs

Alex1647545498

I just pulled the plugs on my 1971 Corvette with a 350cu SBC. They're saturated with oil. So...

Anthony thinks my valve rings are going bad. If this is the case, can anyone here do a re-ring job on my valves? And how much? I may be able to pull the heads myself, so would make a difference in price?

Thanks smile.gif

If you think it's just the upper valve seals you wouldn't need to pull the heads. You just have to be able to remove the springs/retainers and replace the upper valve seals. Just make sure you don't take off the retainers and just let the valve fall into the cylinder. You can just use a compressor and pump the cylinders full of air. Or you could do it the old fashioned way and fill each cylinder up w/ a fine rope, crank the motor by hand till the piston/rope pushes the valve up so as not to fall. You can then take off the retainers, spring and replace valve seals.. I don't know if that made sense..

Does the car puff a little smoke on startup after sitting for a while? If so, that's general valve seals..

That's only if this is your problem. If you have bad piston rings then it's time for a rebuild..

haha valve rings...the valves seals could be your problem, though it could be your pistons rings...hope for the lesser...

Spring Start Tip...

Disconnect your ignition and rotate the motor before start up for the fist of the year. This way you dont have harsh drag on parts that are totally dry that need to be lubricated...

Originally posted by More Tools Than Columbus Racing:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by hitek cougar:

I just pulled the plugs on my 1971 Corvette with a 350cu SBC. They're saturated with oil. So...

buy a ford and you wont have that problem! ;) </font>...... becaus all the other problems will keep you to busy to notice :D

acually I think I know why the plugs has so much oil on them now. I think it is because I'm running on full synthetic oil instead of only part synthetic the previous owner used. Since the full synthetic is thinner that's probably why the plugs were so bad. I'm going to use part synthetic next oil change and see how that goes smile.gif

thanks everyone :D

Running a heavier oil may fix the problem. In regard to Synthetic, its the best thing you could be using in your motor since it tends to bond to metal parts and reduces contaminents in your oil supply. Once I have a mottor broken in about 20k-30k miles on a rebuild, I use full synthetic, However you cannot use synthetic just after a rebuild because its formulation is so slippery that the motor will never seat. How many miles are on your current powerplant, if it is a rebuild how many miles are on the rebuild?

If you try to fill the cylinders with compressed air to prevent the valves from falling into them, listen for whistling/hissing/bubbling or any other sound that a non-running internal combustion engine SHOULDN'T be making when it's not running smile.gif If it makes noise, it could be major blow-by from worn piston rings.

Originally posted by Trigun:

Once I have a mottor broken in about 20k-30k miles on a rebuild, I use full synthetic, However you cannot use synthetic just after a rebuild because its formulation is so slippery that the motor will never seat.

That's not entirely true. It depends on what kind of engine you are rebuilding. Are you rebuilding your engines w/ stock type rings? My friends and I have had this discussion several times. Breaking in a car w/ roller lifters (ex:LT1) consists of breaking in the the rings. If you are running a good moly race ring you shouldn't have to worry about a break in.

Originally posted by kenny:

If you pull the heads buy a real set (read: AFR).

The string method is old school as hell and should work pretty well.

Pulling the heads on a SBC is about the simplest thing you can do, you shouldn't have a problem.

Arao Engineering

Don't know if they really work as advertised, but they sure are cool looking!

Originally posted by hitek cougar:

acually I think I know why the plugs has so much oil on them now. I think it is because I'm running on full synthetic oil instead of only part synthetic the previous owner used. Since the full synthetic is thinner that's probably why the plugs were so bad. I'm going to use part synthetic next oil change and see how that goes smile.gif

thanks everyone :D

A compression and leakdown test could be of some help in determining the condition of your rings. But I hope it is just the oil smile.gif